So afraid, but would truely love to accomplish ANY marathon

Options
I know there are more of you out there. I have dreamt of training for a 5k or whatever and am so afraid to try. I don't know of anyone in my local area that could lend a hand. I am too embarrassed to try to jog on my own, in public. Afraid of the finger pointing and laughter. This keeps me from doing alot. I do alot of walking but I really want to WOW myself with a spectacular accomplishment. I would love to be part of a local event where there were more people , like me, just trying to fit in and get to the finish line. I have one bad ankle, and I have used that excuse to the moon! Anyone want to try for a 5k in the future with me? :smile:

Replies

• tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    have you looked into team in training?
  • festis36
    festis36 Posts: 10
    Options
    No, have not. I will check it out. TY
  • MsItchyfeet
    MsItchyfeet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I did my first 5k a month ago, and I felt so great.
  • AspiringPinkPinUp
    Options
    I'm starting the C25K (couch to 5K) program on Monday. A few of my friends are doing it and love it. I downloaded the app on my phone and I've researched it a bit and seems like a great beginner program to help a NON runner, become one!! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Ah, bless you! I live too far away to run with you but you have my support on here if you want to add me as a friend. I started running when I was 43. I have 3 marathons and numerous half marathons plus other race distances under my belt and love running! I'm sure there will be others on here that can help you. I don't give a t**s what others think of me when I'm running. I find that the most critical are those who sit on there a**e doing nothing all day. You go for it girl!
  • festis36
    Options
    I am in Smethport, PA. About 12 miles from the NY border near Olean, NY.
  • festis36
    Options
    Thank you so much, I wish you and your friends were here.. Good luck!!
  • festis36
    Options
    You know what, you are right! I wish you were here though. Thanks for the support!!!
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I know there are more of you out there. I have dreamt of training for a 5k or whatever and am so afraid to try. I don't know of anyone in my local area that could lend a hand. I am too embarrassed to try to jog on my own, in public. Afraid of the finger pointing and laughter. This keeps me from doing alot. I do alot of walking but I really want to WOW myself with a spectacular accomplishment. I would love to be part of a local event where there were more people , like me, just trying to fit in and get to the finish line. I have one bad ankle, and I have used that excuse to the moon! Anyone want to try for a 5k in the future with me? :smile:

Why are you embarrassed to jog and why would people point and laugh?

I have heard a lot of good things about the C25K program and I plan on starting it myself when I am given permission by my doctor to run.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is a great way to get started. Just repeat weeks until you are comfortable to move on.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you search around the fitness forum, there are always new MFP Cto5k groups starting if you need some buddies to motivate :smile:

That being said also try looking into a local running store for support. Almost every store has a running group and a learn to run program. If they don't, the store will know where one is. You will be amazed at the number of people there who are in your boat. And that the more experienced runners are so kind and helpful....they KNOW it is hard for you.

In the 2 years I have been running, (still overweight) I have only had one incident of a group of teens in a car laughing. I cannot tell you how many positive people there are. Try it if you have the desire. And feel free to FR if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • festis36
    Options
    I am embarrased because I look so big and bouncy.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Wrong answer. You should be proud that you are working on a better healthier you. :smile:

Read this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/723493-hey-fat-girl?hl=hey+fat+girl

But really, if you get out and try (and are like i was) you won't be thinking about anything but completing Day 1 Week 1. When you do, you feel great...but during? OMG the last thing i was worried about was what someone thought. I was sure I would die. :wink: Speaking of which you need good running shoes and a good sports bra at a minimum. Seriously.
  • cheetah423
    Options
    You can accomplish anythign if you so desire to. Have you been to a race, a 5K or anything just as a bystander? There is quite an array of "runners" and "walkers" who attend. All shapes and sizes who participate. I have only begun to run in 2008, and I wasn't a big girl, but with that being said, because I fall in that social category of "normal" size, I felt it to be expected of me to be a good runner, let me tell youy why I wasn't! :) It's worth the attempt though. After my first 5K, I have been hooked. It becomes a hobby and the best one yet. Find deep inside your courage to walk out there and join the rest of us who are of all shapes, sizes, races, and backgrounds, and run with us. :) We'll be happy to have you!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

A few years ago, my daughters and I were volunteering at a local Valentine's Day 5K. We were in charge of the post race food tables. The girls (9, 6, 6 at the time) enjoy doing that kind of stuff. With kids that young, we really can't stay the duration. So, once most people had finished and gotten themselves some goodies, my daughters and I needed to leave. As we were headed for the car, we heard massive cheering at the finish area, so we went over.

A woman, she was the last racer, was coming in. She was pretty daggum big. The crowd was cheering her on as she crossed the finish line. It was her first 5K. She'd been training for months. Her husband and kids were there. Hubby had a big bouquet of roses and the kids had balloons. She was in tears as she crossed the finish line. People in the crowd were whistling, and clapping, and yelping, and a few were crying too. My oldest daughter, a 5K vet, turned to me and said, "Dad that's beautiful." Yup.

When you're big, and you try to do these things, the only people who laugh at you are the people who're too stupid to NOT try it themselves. People who race - from 5K's to marathons to 140.6mile ironman triathlons - they understand. They know how hard it is for the larger crowd. And I can say with honesty I've never once seen anybody tease, insult, degrade, or talk bad behind somebody else's back.

When you get out there and try. Really honestly try. Other racers don't gawk or laugh or act mean. They support. They cherish. And they become inspired. It's really easy for hard core racers to get out there and bang out a 5K. But they know instinctively just how hard it is for the racers who aren't that gifted, or physically prepared. They know the physical and emotional stresses that others go through. And they respond with more kindness than you think.

Go and try. And you'll find all this out for yourself.

I promise.