What a Picky Friggin Eater

Options
2»

Replies

• JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    adding spinach to your salads is great advice. this is how my super picky husband and kids got to eat baby spinach.

and try jicama. dice it and add to your salad. it's kinda the texture of carrots, I guess, but when I had it had little taste really, just a nice crispness.

do you have onion in your salad? if not just add a teeny bit of diced onions to start.

those skinny greenhouse (european) cucumbers you see at the store wrapped in plastic are easier to eat for the veggie-picky. they have smaller/less seeds and the middle issn't as squishy as the middle of regular cucumbers can be.

I am not fond of green smoothies yet, because they feel leafy in my mouth. I prefer to use the juicer.

(but I love me some veggies and yes, I can drool over asparagus and broccoli, so I'm sharing what my picky eater husband has done)

These are some really good suggestions. I liked the idea of pureeing the vegetables and putting them in other foods like another poster said too.
  • algrant1
    algrant1 Posts: 17
    Options
    The key to veggies is seasoning! Some veggies are great by themselves ie sugar snap peas (sweet and crunchy) sweet potato's, corn etc....but for others, or ones you don't like, try various spices. Baby carrots are great sautéed with cardamom and allspice! The only way I can currently choke down cauliflower is roasted with olive oil, garlic, and curry! Good luck and be creative!!!

Ditto on the curry! Adding the right spice can make good veggies even better - plus many herbs and spices have their own health benefits. Look into Indian cook books - they are filled with tasty vegetarian dishes that serve as great vegetable side dishes.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    As others have said, try different ways of preparing them. Also, whenever the opportunity rises, take one bite of a vegetable or food you do not like. Keep doing that. As you do that you may find them more palatable and eventually you may even start liking some foods you didn't like before.

My husband hated asparagus until I finally got him to taste it when I made it and it wasn't cooked to death. Same with brussel sprouts. Recently, he is overcoming his loathing of shrimp by just tasting one when offered.

I never liked turnip greens until I started tasting them whenever someone else had them. Now I like them.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Experiment. Get a vegetarian cookbook. Get a cookbook for toddlers. Try new stuff. Don't assume you hate something because your grandma made it once when you were ten and it was icky.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'm a picky eater, but i've also found that if i force myself to eat something for a few weeks, i'll acquire the taste for it. i let myself avoid 3 things (in my case, mushrooms, olives, celery) but other than than will eat any vegetable. over time, i've acquired a taste for pretty much everything.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to grow up and learn to eat foods you think you can't. I don't really like vegetables, rarely think "wow, I wish I had some broccoli" but it's what adults do. We learn not to eat like 2 yr olds and nourish ourselves properly.

Weirdly enough I do occasionally CRAVE broccoli. I just love sauteed/steamed broccoli. By itself or with some meats, soooo good. Maybe with some silvered almonds thrown on them too :D
  • Jerkface4
    Jerkface4 Posts: 36
    Options
    Well I obviously need to learn how to use this thing. I've been waiting forever for a response when they've been here the whole time piling up. Hahaha. Well, I have 2 things to say...

1. I've read each and everyone's comments and suggestions and have gotten so many great ideas on introducing more healthy foods into my life. Thank you all for the great ideas and support.

2. This site is supposed to be for motivation and support. Being rude by telling someone to grow up is childish and should be kept to yourself. Obviously you need some growing up to do.

Thanks again to all of you!!!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am the all time picky eater, althought in a different way, I really dislike the texture and taste of just about every meat and fish I ever tasted as a kid.
    So I turned vegetarian as soon as I left home.
    From someone who likes pretty much every vegetable (especially sprouts!) can I also plead advocate for roasting (don't even need to be bothered with oils and sprays), curries, (especially with squash and cauliflower) and have you tried soups? Boil then wizz any veg that are cheap and then add spices and seasonings to your taste. I really like coriander, paprika and maggi seasoning. just experiment. Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different vegetables and lots of different ways to cook them. Some you will like better than others. Luckily, they are easy to buy in small quantities and easy to cook.

First thing is: Don't overcook them. Most canned vegetables are over cooked. I live in South Carolina (though I'm from New England). I wouldn't eat a southern cooked green bean if you payed me. Folks boil them, seemingly for days, with ham. I like ham. I like fresh or frozen green beans lightly steamed in the microwave for a couple-a-few minutes. One of my favorite evening smacks is a handful of the Trader Joe's Haricots Verts (skinny little French green beans) nuked with a pat of butter & salt. Decadent? YUM!! Overcooked green beans? YUCK!!

You may find there's a class of veggies you don't like. I don't like bitter greens no matter which one or how you cook it. Sorry. That's just me. Anything from broccoli rabe to chard to endive ... nope ... can't do bitter. I like green pepper. I have a friend who says if other people tasted what he tastes in a green pepper, it wouldn't be considered food.

Now, as to the people who said, "grow up," turn it around on them. We do grow our palates. There is some evidence that children's adaptability to strange foods is to some degree based on the variety they had when very young and even to the variety their mothers had in the womb. We learn to like things and dislike others. Now, as an old fart, I love pasta with garlic, olive oil, coarsely ground black pepper and a good strong cheese; I think most "snack cakes" are vapid. When I was a kid, it was the opposite.

You and your friends can have great fun cooking for each other and tasting the results. Some stuff you'll be licking the plate. Other's you will feed to the garbage disposal. We can and should play with our food and enjoy it. Good food in appropriate portions does not make us fat. It makes us healthy and strong.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    Keep trying. There are many vegetables out there so you may find more of them that you like as you experiment. Also don't dismiss one vegetable without having tried at least a different way of cooking it first (for example you like raw carrots but not cooked one so you already know different ways of serving them can alter the taste).

Endive for example is quite bitter if you cook it (that's part of its appeal, is you wrap it it ham and put a cheese sauce on top, the bitterness "cuts" the fatty texture of the cheese sauce), however if you eat it raw, it has a watery crunch instead which goes well with a mustardy dressing.

Lambs lettuce is very mild, you might enjoy it.

Pak choi is one of the mildest cabbages and it is very easy to prepare. You can microwave it slightly and drizzle it with soy sauce, or slice it and stir fry it quickly in a bit of sesame oil.

If you do not like the smell or texture of cauliflower when it is cooked, try it raw. Slice it very thinly with a mandolin and drizzle with lemon juice and a tiny bit of olive oil. It have a sweet after taste and again a lovely crunch to it.

Still going on the basis that you are ok with raw carrots, another contender is kholrabi. If you grate a bit of it, add a grated carrot and a grated sour apple like a granny smith you can make a nice coleslaw style side salad.

Have you tried butternut squash? It's a PITA to peel but worth it, it has a mild sweet taste.

Courgettes are mild too, they make a nice easy soup. Just grate them, sweat them with a chopped onion and some garlic in a little bit of butter (you don't need much butter, about a teaspoon is enough for 4 bowls of soup) or olive oil, on a low heat so it doesn't brown and let the liquid dry out. Ounce it has lost most of its water, add some milk and cheese if you are feeling decadent :smile: and there you have it.
    If you don't like the texture of them when cooked try them raw. Thinly slice them with a peeler knife, add lemon juice, salt and pepper and there you have it. You can also add some carrot ribbons made the same way and some toasted sesame seeds and it makes a colourful side dish.

I have not met a vegetable I do not like yet so I am trying to spread the love :flowerforyou:
  • jstutz
    jstutz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try buying jarred baby food veggies and add them to your favorite sauces and soups until you know which ones you like with what. Then once you've found one or two that you like, you can steam and puree them yourself and keep adding them to your food. Even into spaghetti sauce or most spicy sauces as well!
  • Jerkface4
    Options
    That is an awesome idea... I will definitely try this. Thanks.
  • Jerkface4
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful tips... I will need all the vegetable love I can get. Hahaha.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I promise that the way you grew up with vegetables is not the way it has to be. I had mostly canned veggies as a kid, but now that I am an adult I realize I love raw veggies, baked veggies, and steamed veggies. You are in charge now, so research recipes and ways of prepping. I promise you will find a lot of variations that make you fall in love with vegetables, too. GL!
  • Jerkface4
    Options
    Thanks...
  • clegeckis
    clegeckis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It took me 32 years to like cooked veggies....LOL. I HATE them steamed, as they get too mushy. I've discovered roasting or grilling most veggies makes them so flavorful, and still slightly crunchy. I still only eat carrots raw, but I've widened my veggie eating to asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and so on. I NEVER thought I'd like Brussels sprouts, but I found that roasting them in the oven with a bit of garlic and pancetta or bacon makes them so tasty.

I still eat a lot of salads and raw veggies for snacks, but at dinner I've been experimenting to get at least one cooked veggie on the plate.

Also, greens like kale and spinach can be hidden in smoothies. Put enough strawberries in there and you don't even see the green color anymore!
  • lillith1991
    Options
    It really is just a matter of trying things. I love most things as long as its not lima beans. I despise them with a passion, even now. I have been aquiring a taste for cauliflower but Lima beans will never happen. Is that childish? Maybe but its one thing I don't like when I love so many others. My grandmother didn't like them either. Sometimes you just don't like something. Its only childish when you blanket an entire food group as yucky.

Keep up the good work trying to find veggies you like. :)
  • Jerkface4
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation... I'm know I'm gonna have a long journey discovering the new tastes for vegetables but ill get there... EVENTUALLY!!!