dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
Stats: Male
Weight: 424lbs
Age 36
Height: 6'2
Waist Size: 52
Non-Smoker (Never smoked in my life)
Started to finally weigh myself today after 2 weeks of a <2500 Calorie per day
Hard to find scales that are above 400lbs in my part of the world (Newfoundland). Finally found one today!

Me and my wife are doing the same low calorie diet /Eating better, so that really helps!
- So far, we never touched any pop in the last 2 weeks
- We make sure to record ALL our food and plan all our meals
- I don't touch the GYM, I find that every other diet I was in I get discouraged because I'm the only fat guy in the GYM, while everyone in there is already in shape and just looking in the mirror or looking to pick up girls

I exercise (Walk) at least 3 times a week, at least 2 K/M each day.

I gave up on every diet because it seemed to never work, always felt like my body is working against me. But the first time in my life I am more motivated than ever as I'm already fitting into smaller shirts!

Anywho, I'll be posting from time to time, hope to get to know some of you and get some support and maybe I can help someone as well!

Replies

• GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    Welcome to your fresh journey!!
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is definitely the place for support! Looking forward to hearing about your journey! :smile:
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    good luck to you, welcome aboard, you are off to a great start!
  • MikeBrusiaHart
    Options
    good luck to you buddy sounds like you are already finding what works for you that in its self wwill encourage you to achive greater things good luck on you journey my friend
  • swenger_rn
    swenger_rn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have already started in the right direction with both you and your wife doing it together, logging all your foods, and walking. I believe as you do that you do not need a gym and can find plenty of other exercise to do in the fresh air. Good luck to you. You will find lots of support and friends here. Welcome!!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you are starting this journey and your wife is making the change over with you!
    Sounds like you're doing the right things.
    And I agree about the gym, lots of *kitten* hang out at my local gym too, so we picked up an elliptical and a weight set with bench at a yard sale for 50 dollars for both .
    I have lost my weight twice in my life, and near my goal now,
    There are rough days, but its so worth all the effort.

Good luck !
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Awesome start...I refuse to go to the gym as well, I have been to a friends condo where they have a gym and was the only one in there using the equipment, that was pretty awesome but the only way you will get to the gym!
    So, like you, I walk every day at least twice a day, I have two dogs so they keep me going on the walking cause they need it as much as I do. I have always walked my dogs but only would go until the dog finished their business and came home again, sometime it was 5 minutes so no real benefit at that time but now, after the last three months or so we sometimes are walking for up to an hour in the morning and half hour in the evening.
    You can do this and it is so awesome that you are both doing it....keep it up and excited to your progress photos!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You ain't no souk, b'y! :drinker: Greetings from St. John's.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. My highest ever was 455, somewhere in my late 30s early 40s.

Its nice that you have a spouse willing to join you in the effort. As far as the gym goes, I really don't give a flyin' leap what anyone else thinks. I pay my membership dues and therefore have purchased an equal right to be there and use any piece of equipment I wish. Let the other dudes stare at themselves in the mirrors. You didn't get where you are overnight. Its going to be a consistent effort on your part to reverse the condition. I keep under the cal goal, do NOT eat my exercise calories, keep my sugars under 45 and drink at least half a gallon of green tea daily (and count it as water). Its working for me - steadily lost 2 pounds a week average. Some weeks I actually gain one or two, even tho I have kept under calories. At first I was frustrated with that, but when I looked at the progress graph, I noticed that every 4th or 5th week I would gain. But the weight would come off again the following week, and the average has been 2 lbs a week.

Be consistent and don't get discouraged. You will do well.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have made a great decision. The people here are very helpful. Here's to the soon to be new you! :drinker:
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've made a great start! Avoiding soda is very smart. It's way too easy to drink a whole day's worth of calories! Water is always good, but I also enjoy the sugar free lemonade and tea mixes.

I'm nearly always the biggest person in any gym I go to. But I'm not self-conscious anymore. There are always a few people trolling for fresh meat. But mostly people are focused on their own workouts, listening to headphones or watching TV. They don't pay any attention to me. And that's the way I like it.

Keep up the good work!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. When I started last July I was 428. Started just like you with walking a little each day and slowly built up. I went from a 62 pants to 48. I do not want to sound like I am bragging, just want you to know we are in the same boat. Like you I will not go to the gym for same reason. It is a long slow process but it is doable if you keep the faith. I have never put in a friend request since I started but if you need some support from Kansas you can add me.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to the right place!
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi, glad you stopped by to introduce yourself. I know it's exciting to see differences already. Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I have found it helpful to set concrete goals, like eating five servings of fruit and veg everyday and walking faster. This way, no matter how discouraging the scale gets, I know that I am getting healthier.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here have started near where you are. Personally I was up into the low 300's before making changes to my life, eventually finding MFP to help me track and stay organized and motivated....in a year and a half I lost 100 lbs. Before MFP, I adopted a high energy dog and started walking him every day. 1 mile turned into 2 or 3 miles everyday, with the occasional 4+ mile walk for fun. Without making any conscious changes to my diet and eating habits (huge mistake for me....one you are already avoiding making) I dropped down to 275 (lost 30 or so lbs) in 5 months and then hovered at 275-280 for another 5 months before I found MFP. The true power of MFP is in keeping you aware of what you are eating, and this online community is a nice help at times too! Using MFP religiously last year, from late January to mid October I dropped from 283 to 206. I've put some of that back on by not being as dedicated as I was last year.

This process does work. It takes time and patience and a lot of dedication, but it does work. You didn't get to 424 lbs overnight and you won't drop what you need to overnight either, but you will be surprised at how easily it does come off once you get yourself on track.

Couple suggestions that helped me stay motivated. First, accept that the scale is not a measure of health (just weight) and can be a cruel torture device (like when it doesn't change for a month). Second and third, which are kind of tied to not relying on just the scale, body measurements and progress pictures taken at regular intervals (once a month or so) are going to be the only way you can see how much your body has changed....except for when you have to buy new clothes because the old ones are to big. No one else needs to see the pictures or measurements, but you being able to see the results of your hard work paying off will be huge for you! Lastly.....this is not a diet, it's a life style change!
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can help you if you email me privately. :)
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind and informative replies :)
    Glad I'm not alone! :)