No one to help </3

Options
Hi! To start out - I know I'm not a victim, I got up to 230 lbs because I was never bothered by being bigger than other girls. I still got dates, friends, and a big ego ha, However, I recently just felt out of sorts. I am NOT comfortable anymore, and I want to be healthy. I don't want someone to look at me and think that I don't care about myself.

The problem is - I don't really have help. I've fallen off the wagon before because I don't have anyone there to say "hey keep at it, you'll lose weight soon." It's been 5 days and I've ate healthy and worked my butt off but all I have to show is an aching body and the same weight I started at 5 days ago. I know I won't be 50 lbs lighter in a week, but even one or two lbs would be a lee-way.

Replies

• Tarantula920
    Tarantula920 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can try to offer support! I'm at 234lbs and have a story similar to yours. Right now I am focusing on hitting my calorie count every day and eating proper portions and good food. I'm giving myself a little time to adjust to that before I think about exercise.
  • animelose2012
    Options
    I used to be 240! and now i am 206! you can do this girl and if you want support you can ask any of us on the message boards!
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have help here!

Weight is a strange thing. You might see no change for days, then suddenly you'll drop 4 pounds. Or you might do the same thing every day and find yourself gaining a pound. All you can do is stay the course. Keep up with your eating plan and exercise plan. Your body will sort itself out and start shedding that fat!

Having said that, it's not easy! If I do everything right all week and gain a pound, I want to throw in the towel and eat a bag of Doritos. But I can't do that. It doesn't help! I know if I stick with it, that pound I gained will come off. Then another. And another. But consistency is something I struggle with.
  • rini4evr
    rini4evr Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah, I'm only doing 30-45 min workouts (like dancing workouts) but I just don't want to be here trying if nothing is happening you know?
  • rini4evr
    rini4evr Posts: 6
    Options
    That's why I stopped one of my workouts from last year. I ran 2 miles every morning and ended up gaining 3 lbs - completely heartbroken. I guess I shouldn't give up so easily and thanks!
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This time last year I weighed 222. Now Im 169. You can add me!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    A few things.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? Ensuring that all drinks/foods even condiments/coffee/cream etc.. is being recorded?

How high is your calorie deficit? 1lb a week is always a safe bet, until you get real lean.

Are you drinking 8-12 glasses or more of water each day? Not water contained in something else, but just water.

You said you just started exercising at the same time you started watching your diet. Realize that whenever you start exercising, when you weren't before, your body will shuttle water/nutrients to the muscles you are working out. This may mask your weight loss until your body acclimates to the new exercise and everything settles down.

Keep yourself to your calorie goals, don't have too high of a deficit (this causes more problems than it is worth), and stick with your exercise routine for at least 3-4 weeks (some people reevaluate after 2, but I like taking it slow), then make small changes if you don't see movement in the direction you want.

I wish you great success!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I started out at 255 and I'm down to 220 now. It's been a long battlle to lose that 35 pounds and I'm far from perfect, but if I can do it you can too!! I have faith in you. Add me if you want!
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    1 thing that has helped me is a lot of water. Drink 16 oz of water, wait 15 min before you put anything in your mouth, it helps. When I started out I didn't loose anything for a month, then it started. Good things don't always happen fast, but when it happens, the feeling is worth hanging in for. You will loose weight!
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    A few things.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? Ensuring that all drinks/foods even condiments/coffee/cream etc.. is being recorded?

How high is your calorie deficit? 1lb a week is always a safe bet, until you get real lean.

Are you drinking 8-12 glasses or more of water each day? Not water contained in something else, but just water.

You said you just started exercising at the same time you started watching your diet. Realize that whenever you start exercising, when you weren't before, your body will shuttle water/nutrients to the muscles you are working out. This may mask your weight loss until your body acclimates to the new exercise and everything settles down.

All of this!! Also, make sure you're balances are correct- enough protein, carbs and fat, but not too much of any. I gain weight immediately if I find myself eating too many carbs and not enough protein. I also find drinking lots of calories (Sweet starbucks drinks, soda) and eating tons of refined sugars cause me to balloon up- stuff like doughnuts and cookies and bread.
    Even if you are under your calorie goal or right at it, 100 calories of lean chicken is different than 100 calories of pizza- in quantity and quality.

Good luck, feel free to add me as a friend and I'll try to keep you motivated!
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I started on this program over 50 days ago and I have lost 21 lbs. I did not weigh myself the first three weeks just for that sole reason. I started out at 247 my goal is to get to 180. I take one day off from working out that is on wednesday, but I always record everything I eat even on wednesday. Anyone can add me. I will try my best to encourage.
  • rk_duncan1
    Options
    hey rini! so many have replied in an effort to help. that is encouraging. i agree, change your focus. you will only frustrate yourself if you are looking at the numbers on a scale. i personally believe it is the least effective (emotionally and mentally) to measure progress. especially for women. our bodies are affected by the seemingly smallest of things - more sodium on one day as opposed to another, hormones, etc.... how do you feel? that is important and motivating. do you feel good eating healthier and working out? are you tracking those inches? how about those health numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure.....)? are those looking better (if you are on any meds make a goal to get off of them or at least reduce the amount needed for health in 6 months). are your clothes fitting better? i am sure you get the point. focus on those things.
    time really is your friend also. give yourself the time it should take to lose weight in a healthy manner (.5 to 1 pound per week). also, average out your month. there may be a week or two or even three that you do not lose. however, if at the end of the month you average a loss of 3 or so pounds - you have won. if you maintain - you have won.
    you can do it! i have no doubt about that so go ahead and rock it!
  • FireUnderMyAss
    FireUnderMyAss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stick with it girl....I've been going at it for 20 days and lost a little over 15 pounds. Something to remember is to not focus so much on the scale but measurements....measure around your upper arm, bust, waist, hips & thighs, I usually measure once a week and I pretty much have good results every time. When we are dieting and working out our body not only burned fat but starts building muscle, and since muscle is heavier than fat the scale doesn't always give the results we're looking for.

I know how it I doing this alone, but a lot of the time we are the best motivation for ourselves! I'm 31 and just down to 296. I got here by being lazy and saying, "oh well, im already so big I might as well keep eating like this". I just got bigger and bigger and kept ptting myself down. Now I am trying my hardest to stay positive, have patients and just keep pushing forward to my goal of 175. I don't exercise much yet because of health reason but I already feel so much better, more energy and just feeling happier in general. I keep reminding myself of that.

Im happy to be here for support, Heather
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get yourself some MFP friends with similar goals and inspire each other.

i personally dont need much hand holding or pats on the back to keep me motivated since my motivation is fueled by MY goals. but i do find it better having an MFP network.

oftentimes people offline have different views than i do on weight loss and fitness so i avoid discussing it with most of my friends since i know i'm going to get advice about doing some cleanse, eating VLCD or how my exercise routine is overtraining :laugh:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    The only person you need is yourself. Good job and wtg does not do anything for me 40 mins in when I am losing momentum. I am my personal motivator. This is about me and no one else. Also...its been a year now and I still an achy body.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The food intake part of the equation is important. As much of a PITA as it can be to track cals that's where much of your results are going to come from.
  • licelot13
    licelot13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the most important one is DO NOT QUIT!! whether you gain a pound here or there, eat one ice cream or a piece of cake! DO NOT QUIT!! remember this is like the compounding effect, the more regular you workout the better you will feel and look! keep watching your diet (as home made as possible) drink plenty of water and for the goodies limit them to once a week (like your cheat meal which is good for the soul and the body)...

most important, if you are determined you will do it!! just focus on the end result, think big! take one day at a time with meals and working out but keep your eyes in the future! one year from now you will be happy that you never quit and you will see a different woman in front of the mirror!

best of luck!!!