Your best non-gym workout

Options
LisaKC
LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
I quit the gym more than a year ago when I realized I just hated going there. I bicycle, walk, and am in week 5 of C25K. I have a few exercise videos, a weight bench and a few weights and an elliptical at home, but don't use them much. I'd like to know what your best non-gym workout includes, especially if it's something that's fun (for example, I love to bike, so it doesn't feel like I'm having to work out). Thanks in advance for your FUN exercise suggestions! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Andre_Demers
    Options
    The best exercice outside a gym is time consuming but it works anywhere. Walking. Walking in a group is even better because your talking about anything and time flies.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have any kids around to play with. It's not a really really intense workout but playing with my niece outside is usually quite a workout. Were always playing tag, or softball, soccer or just chasing the dogs around the backyard. It's fun to do with her and she has a good time doing it and your spending time together. I also like to go swimming with my friends from time to time. Or to the lake.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love to dance so my favorite way to exercise is to use dance style workouts. I am really enjoying a rotation of 3 programs right now.. ZUMBA, Shaun T Rockin' Body and Turbo Jam. The first 2 are my current fav's - over 2 months and still not bored in the least by them. When I hit my mini goal of 10 lbs lost, I will be getting Shaun's Hip Hop Abs..
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    This summer badmintons been a real fun one for the hubs and I. We really put a lot into it (think tennis match) and I was burning a good amount of calories without even realizing it!

The best part was normally we'd be playing while our food cookes on the grill!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Swimming! I was babysitting one time and we went to the pool. This 10 year old had so much energy. Imagine trying to play tag in a pool with someone who seems like they have an unlimited amount of energy.

My arms were so sore the next day. But at the time it was so much fun.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I take my daughter to the park and I run a lap while she gets up to the top of the slide then I catch as she slides down. Repeat. We love it.

Otherwise I love hiking, cycling and running. They don't feel like a workout to me. Any time I get to spend outside is great.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Chalean Extreme the next addition will be Turbo Fire. I love them both. My CX came with a sample of Turbo Jam so I know I'll love it as well.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Zumba's awesome. I don't like the gym much either, so I usually scope out a couple fitness classes a week that sound kinda off beat and emphasize learning a skill rather than just working out (dance, self defense, etc). To me, that element of learning and getting better at something definitely helps to "disguise" the exercise. Maybe set out to learn capoeira or something.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, stationary bike, and universal in a 'weight room' in my basement. Plus free weights, weight bands, and P90x.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Trail running! There is so much to see and the noises and smells of the forest, ahh. I also take the dogs to the dog park and play ball with them and chase them around. Gardening is also great...works all kinds of muscles that rarely get used otherwise.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I also go out dancing with my friends or play wii. None of are high calorie burning but they are fun to do and it's better then sitting on your butt.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Dancing and jumping on a mini trampoline are my favorite non-gym activities. I also took up golf recently - it's not a high intensity aerobic workout but a steady calorie burner if you don't use a cart and carry your own clubs - I found muscle I didn't even know I had (and I've been working out for a while!) and it was lots of fun!
  • mizztcasa
    Options
    For Fellow TV Lovers:

Walk/Jog/Jump-Rope while you watch the television.
    Squat/Lounge/Lift Weights during the commercials
    Dance during the commercials.

In General:
    Climb your Air Conditioned Stairs while you listen to music.
    Run back and forth in one room or hallway while you listen to music.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    P90X is good, tae bo i used to do..I personally love going to the gym. But before that happened, I got a stability ball and did some that were listed in the paperwork, also, check out http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercise_demos.asp?exercise_type=core that's where I got started on my in home exercises.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    walking, and we walk lots now just for the sheer joy of it. We walk along the lovely footpaths and find great places that you can't see from a car. We try to walk uphill sometimes, along a beach or on grass too, as this burns more calories than on paved surfaces. We walk if we are going out to eat, it means that we burn some of the extra calories off AND we can have a glass of wine if we want. We also have started packing a healthy lunch and going for a picnic. We walk for at least 45 minutes and then eat, then we might walk back or carry on. The Dr told my husband that you need to exercise for 45 minutes NON stop for it to properly work and loose weight rather than water. We have some routes than we do that take us an hour and we do them in the evenings. As my Husband is also on this journey we find it easier to motivate each other.
  • inguvap
    inguvap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells, walking, bodyweight exercises (like squats, pullups, lunges, crunches), jumprope, jogging and plyometrics are some of the ways keep you fit outside the gym. Of cource, workout videos....
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love the shows on FitTV - especially Total Body Sculpt with Gilad and In Shape with Sharon Mann. Total time of 18 minutes if you take into account the commercials but it gets a lot done in 18 minutes!!! Plus they are always different so they keep you interested.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym either. Although I do have free weights in the basement.

I run, cycle, or swim (in the summer) and walk for cardio. For Strength Training I do some stuff with weights, some stuff with an excersise ball, and then the self-weight stuff like dips, push ups, pull ups.
  • tlraney1
    tlraney1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I hate having to go to a gym. Never enough time in the day for the things on my list to do, so why add something else. I love taking the dogs for a walk and playing wii fit. Its fun to try to beat my scores each time. If I have a TV show that I want to watch, I use the wii free step so I can workout and watch my show.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I have a fun one and a non fun one. The fun one is to throw a football around, it really gets you moving and it's heavier than a baseball/softball and a frizzbee so you use more muscles!

The non fun one, cleaning my shower. Gotta stretch up to clean at the top, and bend over to get the tub!