Beginning lifting weights...thinking about NROLFW

Options
mrg68
mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
Ok...what I've heard about his book is impressive. But I am NOT a gym girl! I am out of the norm and prefer to exercise alone. However, I want to start lifting this summer. I am raising three football players so we do have free weights at home with a bench, bar, etc. Can I do this program at home? My oldest son will be a good resource for form, etc. and keeping me from killing myself. But I don't want to go buy the book if it is going to tell me I have to do this in the gym.

Replies

• scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What is NROLFW? I am not s gym girl either but I work out with weights at home too. I think weightlifitng totally boosts my metabolism :-)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I loved it and would recommend! I did it at a gym, but there is a group with a lot of awesome women who have done or are doing it (and some at home) here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Scout...it's a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've read the entire book in two days and am ready to start but I don't even lift now at home so I'm a bit more than a little intimidated. I think I just need to start. My teenage/football/baseball/athlete son should be able to get me started. I'm not sure how it will work once I get in the later stages but I can cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess.

And it is similar to Fat2Fit philosophy. I may write in to the show to get their perspective on it. You should give it a try with me!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    ...tons of women on mfp are doing NROL4W AT HOME.

Check-out the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" group, right here on mfp, you can jump in and chat right there about it!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am doing NROL4W at home - and I only have a weight set too. I had to substitute some of the exercises, since i don't have a lat pulldown, or a cable row machine, but in the end i think it's working out ok.

Check out bodybuilding.com - it has videos for form, and also shows alternative exercises to hit the same muscle groups...
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    There is also a very active NROL4W group on facebook with lots of info and links to videos on how to do things the right way. Come join us!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can do pretty much anything from home provided you have the proper equipment, enough weights, etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I liked the book, there was a lot of good info in it for women. I did three stages of it, working out at home, then I switched to a different program.
  • csm2010
    csm2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on week 12 of the Jamie Eason Live Fit program (See bodybuilding.com) and it walks you through a 3 month program. There are 5-6workouts a week, each day is different, she has encouraging videos, there are tutorials, alternate exercise options, nutrition support, etc. I love it bc it changed every 2 weeks! It was very progressive and beginner friendly and best of all FREE. See what you think . Good Luck