Net????????

Options
I'm fairly new at this can anyone tell me what "Net" means that's up where you're profile picture is!! Thank you! :) Feel free to add me!!

Replies

• tccanzoni
    tccanzoni Posts: 33
    Options
    Your goal is on the left.....calories you consume for the day is next.....then exercise (defecit) = NET or total calories

EX 2500 Calories is your goal each day.........Consumed 3500 - Exercise (burned 800 calories) = Net or total for the day 2700
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You ate 2000 calories today.

Your exercise burned 500 calories in 1 hr purely for mechanical movement during the workout (doesn't count energy your body would desire making improvements, if given enough resources and rest.

Your body was left with a NET 1500 calories to use for EVERY thing else you did that day outside exercise.

It's why MFP method is picking an activity level that includes and assumes NO exercise.
    That gives you maintenance say 2100.

You picked lose 1 lb weekly, which means 500 calorie deficit daily, so you are given a daily goal of 1600 without any exercise.

You exercise 500 calories you just increased your real actual maintenance that day by 500 calories so now 2600.
    Your Daily goal is increased from 1600 calories to 2100 calories to eat.

You just kept your 500 calorie deficit.

In above example though, you ate 2000, NET goal is 1600, you are still 100 shy of goal eating level to keep that 500 calorie deficit.

Some think that bigger deficit is better, so take the deficit MFP already includes, and create more with exercise by not eating them back correctly.

More is not better, and if that was the case, just stop eating, right.
  • megansarro
    megansarro Posts: 23
    Options
    So am I eating and exercising right? I'm so confused it's not funny lol.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

You will have to open at least your diary to public for people to take a look.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You may be confused because MFP is confusing during setup.

They ask for diet goals which includes weight loss goal.

They ask for fitness goals.

But the math from one has NO bearing on the other.

It's not until you log your exercise burned, which obviously raises your daily maintenance that had no exercise included, and then take off deficit.

Rest day.
    2000 maintenance - 500 deficit = 1500 eating goal.

Workout day.
    2000 maintenance + 500 exercise = 2500 - 500 deficit = 2000 eating goal.

Or you can picture workout days as:
    2000 maintenance - 500 deficit = 1500 eating goal - 500 exercise + 500 eating extra = 1500 NET eating goal.

You have a 500 calorie deficit every day - workout or not, if you eat your exercise back, using MFP method.

Log your exercise, eat to your goal shown on Food Diary page.

Simple as that.
  • megansarro
    megansarro Posts: 23
    Options
    Okay I think I have it now!! Once I get use to it i'll be fine lol. Thank you!!