One of those female specific questions...

Options
Okay. I know how this is gonna sound, but I've heard that you can sometimes miss your period or get the schedule thrown off when you lose weight. Has this happened to anyone or do you know how much weight loss can cause this? I've lost 8.5 lbs this past month.
Basically I friek out about getting my period every month. About three days before I'm even due I start maniacally worrying that I won't get it. I'm due today. This time I'm worried that I won't get it or will be late due to the weight loss and then that will just make me friek out more. Anyone? I know I'm being paranoid, but if you've got any info at least it's kind of an interesting topic maybe?

Replies

• BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Well hunny sometimes worrying that ur not gonna start will make ur period late.. Just relax and Im sure itll come in no time.. And if it doesnt and it really concerns u then talk to ur doctor about it :-)..
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    To clarify, while my boyfriend and I use protection I am not currently one birth control. I was on the ring but my insurance cut back coverage and I couldn't afford it so I went off it till I can get an appointment with my doctor (September 9th) to have an IUD put in. While I'm on that topic, anyone use an IUD or other implant and have recommendations?
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    When I first started earlier this year on my fitness quest, I did skip a period. Not sure how much weight I'd lost, because I didn't have scales at home at the time. It was torture for me, because we're trying to conceive and I've miscarried twice, so I was all hopeful I was pregnant, but ended up that I'd just skipped a month because of the new fitness/healthy eating thing. It's perfectly normal, of course, but I know that doesn't stop us worrying, right? :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're on the pill it's totally normal to not get it - at all.
    I've been on the pill for years, I haven't had a TOM for over 6 months (I'm on the three month pack cycle, so that would be two that I have missed) and I don't worry about it. And unless I am going to be the next Holy Mother Mary (haahaa) I don't stress too much about it. I take it as a wonderful thing not having my TOM.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sure -- I have an IUD -- had it after my son was born. Use protection for the first month afterward.... I have not had any issues with it after 3 years -- it is a 5 year thing. Mirena. Not pleasant getting it put in but we have not thought about birth control since. Nice to not have to worry about while in the moment. Good luck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Exercising more and changing the way you eat can affect your period. Some suddenly get it after not being regular for awhile...some stop getting it. Some get heavier, some get lighter. I was lighter for awhile but have evened out and now I'm about the same as I was before.

Also, the more you stress about not getting it, the longer it will wait to come. Think of it as "oh well" and you should get it soon. Trust me! The minute I stop worrying about not getting it and possibly being pregnant (AHH!), I usually get my period.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard...but try to not stress about it. The stress affects your body in so many ways including either not having it, it being late, or coming early.

But yes your new lifestyle will affect it until your body adjusts. I got the opposite problem in that mine is coming every 3 weeks since I started this. I certainly hope that doesn't continue since it messes with my weighs in for that week.

Relax and I am sure all will be fine.
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    To clarify, while my boyfriend and I use protection I am not currently one birth control. I was on the ring but my insurance cut back coverage and I couldn't afford it so I went off it till I can get an appointment with my doctor (September 9th) to have an IUD put in. While I'm on that topic, anyone use an IUD or other implant and have recommendations?

I got the paragaurd, just so you know, for the 1st 3 months my periods got heavy, it was like i was peeing blood.
    and the doctor told me that it takes up to a year for my body to adjust to it. I had to get iron pills because i became animic and i take b12 shots for the fatigue that came with it.
    Make sure you ask questions and side affects
    I chose the paraguard because it doesnt have hormones.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    1. ANY type of stress (losing weight, school, job, worrying about something) can mess up your cycle.

2. I had Mirena also and it was fabulous! I loved not worrying about BC ever but... I didn't have a TOM for 2 years so if not getting yours freaks you out this is something you'll want to consider. I know it's not a guarantee, just a side effect but I wanted you to be aware.
  • ang2803
    ang2803 Posts: 39
    Options
    Mine worked the exact opposite. I wasn't getting it for 2 years and I started my weight loss and started getting my period again. Weight loss can have an affect on your period and that would definitely be a questions for your doctor to answer and see if they think that you should be on something to regulate your periods so they are fairly regular.
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Want your period?? I recommend wearing white slacks. . . always worked for me when I was young enough for that "kid" stuff. Grin.
  • englisa
    englisa Posts: 9
    Options
    if your able, i would get an app for your phone - i use the my days period tracker. i used to stress out all the time about when mine was coming or if it would be late, but since i've been using this for a few months, i know the exact date that my cycle will start bc it averages out your real dates - not a cookie cutter assumption. i did have some issues after i got off BC - my cycle was either 4 days early or 4 days off for about 2-3 months - your body may need to just re regulate since you stopped using the ring. best advice would be to check with your doctor if it doesn't show up in the next few days - stressing over it will just make it take longer :9)
  • B_Steppuhn
    B_Steppuhn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went on the Mirena after my daughter was born two years ago.. I thought it was great not having my period or paying for birth control. I also breastfeed so I got down to pre-pregnancy weight 115 lbs. than I stopped breastfeeding after three month cause i couldn't keep up. I didn't really eat more than usual but in the two years i gained 40 - 50 lbs. It took me a lot of research to get it taken out. There is a lot of women that said gained excessive weight. So I got it taken out in june within a few weeks i already lost ten lbs. Coincideince maybe
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Okay. I know how this is gonna sound, but I've heard that you can sometimes miss your period or get the schedule thrown off when you lose weight. Has this happened to anyone or do you know how much weight loss can cause this? I've lost 8.5 lbs this past month.
    Basically I friek out about getting my period every month. About three days before I'm even due I start maniacally worrying that I won't get it. I'm due today. This time I'm worried that I won't get it or will be late due to the weight loss and then that will just make me friek out more. Anyone? I know I'm being paranoid, but if you've got any info at least it's kind of an interesting topic maybe?

Gonna be blunt here about your question.

First of all, 8.5lbs loss in the past month is not enough to make your periods stop, not unless those 8.5lbs take you way underweight.

Secondly, for periods to stop due to weight loss, the weight loss would have to be extreme and anorexics suffer from cessation of periods on a regular basis.

Thirdly, If you go too far UNDERWEIGHT, this can cause your periods to stop.

If you are eating regularly, eating good food and are within a healthy weight range for your height, build and age, your periods should remain.

It is highly advised that you see your doctor if your period does not happen as it could be due to any number of reasons in addition to those I have listed above.

ps worrying about your period can interrupt it, just to make you feel even more relaxed :wink:
  • mollycherndon
    mollycherndon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you're trying to loose, 8.5 pounds can be quite a lot. When I added in some serious weight lifting to my exercise routine, I skipped a month. The "jolt" this had on my system is the only thing I could attribute it to. Also, coming off birth control generally screws up your system for at least 2-3 months after. If you skip 2 months, see a doctor.