The Dark Side of Vitamin Water

Options

Replies

• axekicker
    Options
    "In a staggering feat of twisted logic, lawyers for Coca-Cola are defending the lawsuit by asserting that 'no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage.'"

I actually lol'd...
    That's a really frightening statement though, when you think about it.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    OMG! Wow....thanks for sharing!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The lawsuit, brought by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, alleges that vitaminwater labels and advertising are filled with "deceptive and unsubstantiated claims." In his recent 55-page ruling, Federal Judge John Gleeson (U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York), wrote, "At oral arguments, defendants (Coca-Cola) suggested that no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitamin water was a healthy beverage." Noting that the soft drink giant wasn't claiming the lawsuit was wrong on factual grounds, the judge wrote that, "Accordingly, I must accept the factual allegations in the complaint as true."

So.... you lie and you're not to blame because it should be obvious that you're lying? Yeah, that didn't work for me when I was 8, good luck with that, Coca Cola. I hope they get taken to the cleaners.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Just another example of why you should ALWAYS read the ingredients, no matter what the product claims. BUYER BEWARE! Thanks for sharing, hun! xo
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.....I've drank that water before but never as a vitamin suppliment and never due to fact I thought it would have no "caloric consequences" and would be good for me, any one with eyes that can read can see how much calories is in it.

To me it tastes like juice and should be treated as such.

I agree with pp......you have to read the labels of what you put into your body and not just believe advertising.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Totally! I don't drink pop so I have had one of these for a treat now and then, but I was aware of the sugar content. I think Dasani has a vitamin water that has some sugar but not nearly as much.
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I was at the store and going to buy one.....then I read the label.....it went back on the shelf!!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I read a book last year and it basically said that the more health claims or the healthier sounding the fod is the more likely it is you should even touch it because it is most likely the unhealthiest thing you can choose. Anyone with any sense would look at that and realize it is no more than expensive Kool Aid. Come on.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Totally! I don't drink pop so I have had one of these for a treat now and then, but I was aware of the sugar content. I think Dasani has a vitamin water that has some sugar but not nearly as much.

Dasani is a Coke product.
  • Joy201
    Joy201 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I assumed Vitamin Water was healthy and a better alternative to diet sodas. Now I know better.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I assumed Vitamin Water was healthy and a better alternative to diet sodas. Now I know better.

ANYTHING is a better alternative to diet soda and a vitamin water or gatorade never killed anyone. Like everything else in life.....moderation!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I drink it for its taste, never for the 'vitamin value'. I do drink the ZERO, tho. Otherwise the sugar is through the roof : /

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tried Vitamin Water but it made me feel sick after drinking it. I don't trust that stuff.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Dang! They are everywhere!
  • Mommy2Kenzie
    Mommy2Kenzie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think this is absolutely insane...a lawsuit over this??? I mean arent there more important lawsuits, than one holding the courts up over a drink! If people are really concerned about their weight, and what they are putting in their body for health reason, they are gonna look at the labels, and see that its not a healthy drink. The only reason this product has the name it does, is because its for marketing purpose...everyone is out to make money. A person who isnt conscious of what they are eating will look at it, and see vitamin water and go ohhh now that has to be healthy, but they obviously dont really look into what they are consuming, so they will buy it and theres the money! People get sue happy, and wanna blame other for our problems. Americans are over weight, because we dont hold ourselves responsible and want to blame someone else. Like everyone calling out the fast food joints...if we didnt buy food from there, they wouldnt be in business, but its always easy to blame someone else for our problems. I am wanting t o get healthier and lose a few lbs, but I know its MY fault for getting here, my fault for not watching what I was putting in my mouth....now that I have opened my eyes I see how bad I was eating...and somethings I thought were healthy wasnt...but my fault for not being responsible and taking control over my body and health! You take a drink of vitamin and can taste all the sugars in it....if people were drinking that, and being mislead, just shows me they really are clueless to what they are putting in their bodies...i read an article not too long ago about this product and some of the stuff people were saying...I am like really....do u see what you are saying, take control over your health, and not rely on someone else to do it for you!
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Dang! They are everywhere!

Generally, it seems that if it isn't owned by Coke, then its owned by Pepsi. :ohwell:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I've drank both regular VW and Zero, also, not for the vitamin part, just as a better drink than soda (which I haven't drank since 4/9/10) I still drink the Zero on occassion as well as Sobe Lifewater Zero., though the Sobe, I drink more often.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I rarely get vitamin waters but I don't mind the low sugar ones. 23cals per bottle is fine IMO. I always wondered why people were so happy to go and grab a 125cal bottle of vitamin water to be "healthy" when you could just get a diet soft drink that has basically no cals.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it - an my boyfriend too - until we heard it was owned by Coca Cola. I don't drink Coke (or eat McDonalds, BK, KFC etc) and I try to stay away from any Coke-owned products.

A friend of ours was absolutely gutted when my BF told him VW was owned by Coke, as he quite liked it! He's stopped drinking it as well.

We also stopped eating stuff from pret a Manger as it's owned b McDonalds apparently...

I have nothing against fast food, in moderation. But tbh I'd rather get a burger or fried chicken (although very rarely) from a chippy than from a global chain. You KNOW places like McD's don't take a smidgen of pride in the "food" they sell, so if I had a craving for something totally unhealthy at least I'd go to a local place where food is made on site!