Runners! Ear Buds or Ear Duds?

Options
I started running almost two months ago, and I absolutely love it! What I don't love? My ear buds (a.k.a "ear duds"). I would love to be able to listen to music while running, but the ear buds never seem to stay in my ears. They usually end up ripped out of my phone and stuffed in my bra within the first 5 minutes of my run! Grr...

So, what ear phones do you use when running?

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I started running almost two months ago, and I absolutely love it! What I don't love? My ear buds (a.k.a "ear duds"). I would love to be able to listen to music while running, but the ear buds never seem to stay in my ears. They usually end up ripped out of my phone and stuffed in my bra within the first 5 minutes of my run! Grr...

So, what ear phones do you use when running?

I use ones that clip OVER my ears to stop them pinging out when I run.

They are more expensive than normal headphones, but I use them enough and figure they are worth it and they have never flicked out when I run. They are similar to the ones in the link below:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/headphones/actionfit-actionfit-orange-and-grey-shq3000_10/prd/
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've used all sorts, but my best solution has been to use normal buds but use a hairband to keep them in place.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like my Motorola S-10. bluetooth headphones.

278889-motorola-s10-hd.jpg?thumb=yhttp://www7.pcmag.com/media/images/278889-motorola-s10-hd.jpg?thumb=y
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem---every time I've tried earbuds, they've fallen out almost immediately just from moving my head the tiniest bit! I've often suspected my ear apertures must be tiny. I've also had much better luck with the clip-on over-the-ear sort or even the old-school over-the-head regular kind.

The hairband idea mentioned above is a great idea--I never thought of that!
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Go for the big headphones! Just this past week I ruptured my ear drum from shoving my ear buds in my ear too hard/far. My sweat was making them slip out and all of the sweat coupled with how hard I was pushing them in my ear created a vacuum that permanently damaged my hearing.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

278889-motorola-s10-hd.jpg?thumb=yhttp://www7.pcmag.com/media/images/278889-motorola-s10-hd.jpg?thumb=y

I'll have to check this one out...
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

I had the same problem until I got these
  • Caleysia1
    Caleysia1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the jay bird freedom wireless inear headphones. They are awesome and I have never had a problem with them while running. They have always stayed in and no wires to accidentally pull out. Yay :)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I never wear ear inserts. Our treadmill sits next to the computer, so I just turn iTunes, if I'm on the treadmill. When outside, I never ever wear anything in my ears. I want to make sure I'm as aware of my environment as I possibly can be. Plus, I get more out of the sounds of The Great Outdoors than I would with earplugs in. Why would I want to cover up all those great natural sounds?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Go for the big headphones! Just this past week I ruptured my ear drum from shoving my ear buds in my ear too hard/far. My sweat was making them slip out and all of the sweat coupled with how hard I was pushing them in my ear created a vacuum that permanently damaged my hearing.

Ouch
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Do the ear phones that wrap around your ears hurt at all? I'm definitely willing to spend the money on something that works, but I want to make sure they'll be comfortable!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

These look awesome but useless for long runs, battery on my phone would get juiced very quickly from bluetooth.

Ear buds are totally useless..any manufacturer who claims theirs dont fall out is not being truthful!

I resort to the behind the neck type head phones..awful quality sound, but what other solution is out there??
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I've used all sorts, but my best solution has been to use normal buds but use a hairband to keep them in place.

I wish I could try this option, but my head is very flat in the back (yes, I gots problems...LOL!), so hairbands don't work for me!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm in love with are "yurbuds". They're made specifically for athletes. They lock into your ear and don't come out. Waterproof. Great sounding. I think I purchased them for $40 a couple weeks ago. Worth every penny.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

I wish I could try this option, but my head is very flat in the back (yes, I gots problems...LOL!), so hairbands don't work for me!

Try the ones that I suggested, the ones that clip over the ear.

They never fall off and the sound quality is just fine.
  • Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm in love with are "yurbuds". They're made specifically for athletes. They lock into your ear and don't come out. Waterproof. Great sounding. I think I purchased them for $40 a couple weeks ago. Worth every penny.

This. Yurbuds are the only thing that has ever worked, and believe me I have tried everything. I have the $60 "Ironman" model, that comes with a dry mic and the ability to pause, FF, or rewind the track that's playing. Worth EVERY penny. And, it comes with some sort of a warranty, which I've never had to use (knock on wood).
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this problem and have tried many types!!
    Twice I was sucked in to buying the variety they sell at the Fitness Expos prior to marathon events with promises
    that they won't fall out - they lie!

I don't run with a phone, so blue tooth isn't an option for me, but I think I will have to buy some over the ear
    headphones. Quality of sound will be sacrificed, but, what good is having good quality sound if the head phone won't
    stay in your ear so you can hear it!?
  • ChristinaR720
    Options

This. Yurbuds are the only thing that has ever worked, and believe me I have tried everything. I have the $60 "Ironman" model, that comes with a dry mic and the ability to pause, FF, or rewind the track that's playing. Worth EVERY penny. And, it comes with some sort of a warranty, which I've never had to use (knock on wood).

These look great! Do you use the Yurbuds that wrap around your ears or the ones that just fit in your ears?
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.haloheadphones.com

These are great for running and lying around. I can fall asleep listening to music and its no problem. I got the sports headband cause I sweat a lot. I normally run with one ear slightly uncovered so I can hear road noise.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Rocketfish bluetooth headphones Cheap on Amazon and theoretically I can talk on the phone while running.