Ketogenic

Options
hfox9707
hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
I am starting on the ketogenic diet doing 55/40/5 - fat, protein, and carb ratios. I am excited about it and got my groceries based on that idea. I tried some of it today and actually feel satisfied and don't have cravings. My friend did and lost a good amount of weight and is now at 8% body fat, he is a guy though and looks great.

Anyone else tried it and got really good results?

Replies

• sravenel
    sravenel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started last week. I am doing 65%/30%/5% ratio and I have lost 6lbs and all of the bloating in my stomach that I have been suffering with is gone.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    OMG! Sounds awful to me!!!! I think im set at 40/30/30 carbs, fat, protein. It works out to 130g of carbs a day. Today was my first day and all i ate was nuts, protein, 1 dairy, and lotsa veggies. Carbs add up sooooooo quickly!!! BUT if i was eating bread and more fruit like usual then i would prob be up to 200 or more carb grams. How do you guys get all ur fat when set at 55-65% of fats in ur plan??? I got 58grams of fat today for my 30%
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am starting on the ketogenic diet doing 55/40/5 - fat, protein, and carb ratios. I am excited about it and got my groceries based on that idea. I tried some of it today and actually feel satisfied and don't have cravings. My friend did and lost a good amount of weight and is now at 8% body fat, he is a guy though and looks great.

Anyone else tried it and got really good results?

There is sound science to back up ketogenic diets. It works, although it's not very sustainable in the long term. If you can make it work for you in the long term, then great. Good luck.
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OMG! Sounds awful to me!!!! I think im set at 40/30/30 carbs, fat, protein. It works out to 130g of carbs a day. Today was my first day and all i ate was nuts, protein, 1 dairy, and lotsa veggies. Carbs add up sooooooo quickly!!! BUT if i was eating bread and more fruit like usual then i would prob be up to 200 or more carb grams. How do you guys get all ur fat when set at 55-65% of fats in ur plan??? I got 58grams of fat today for my 30%

Red meat, poultry, whole eggs, oil, fatty fruits like avocados, sour cream, cheese...
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    look up also the problems that can occur with kidneys etc also..
  • CoachColin
    CoachColin Posts: 44
    Options
    Did it for a week and had great results dropped 10lbs but I was always drained as hell unless I had just ate. And if I tried to do 6-8 meals I was constantly hungry. That said I ll probably do it again just with a carb day every 3 or so days to replenish glycogen.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Those problems only occur when there is an existing kidney problem, if that.

To the OP- There is a keto group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

I personally think your protein is a bit high. At 40% protein, you risk spiking blood sugar. Although not as much as carbohydrate, protein does have an insulin response, so you're going to want to watch that macro and see how it does at that level.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's the easiest way to go low calorie and not be hungry. But like some of the other posters, I feel a little sick and listless with tooooo much protein. I like going high protein, but enough carbs to have decent energy (eg, mostly protein for 2 meals and snacks, maybe 1 carby meal and 1 fruit snack)

Edited to add: I definitely need carbs before cardio. Not really with weight training.
  • hfox9707
    Options

Those problems only occur when there is an existing kidney problem, if that.

To the OP- There is a keto group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

I personally think your protein is a bit high. At 40% protein, you risk spiking blood sugar. Although not as much as carbohydrate, protein does have an insulin response, so you're going to want to watch that macro and see how it does at that level.

Thanks for the link. The 40% equals in grams to my bodyweight that is required when I do weights. I have to take in 160 grams of protein a day.

Ok changed it 30% which it brings to 120 grams of protein a day instead of 160. I have already lost 2 lbs of water weight that was holding for awhile.
  • hfox9707
    Options
    It's the easiest way to go low calorie and not be hungry. But like some of the other posters, I feel a little sick and listless with tooooo much protein. I like going high protein, but enough carbs to have decent energy (eg, mostly protein for 2 meals and snacks, maybe 1 carby meal and 1 fruit snack)

Edited to add: I definitely need carbs before cardio. Not really with weight training.

I know, I feel full and satisfied.