Couch to 5k?

Options
I recently started a couch to 5k program. I just finished week two. Even though this is the first real exercise program I've attempted to stick to, I don't really feel encouraged to go on or proud of myself. Some people very close to me tell me it isn't enough to do this three times a week. They insist I should commit to more. I figured eventually I would increase it to four times a week, or maybe cross train on off days, but I was waiting to include more until I got more comfortable with adding it to my daily routine.

Am I wrong? Should I not even bother if I'm only doing three times a week? I'm just following the program as it's outlined.

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's a beginner plan set up like that for a reason stick to it and you'll be amazed at what you can do by the end.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Follow the program as it is outlined. You want to start out slowly and gradually build your mileage. It helps avoid injury by giving your body the time to get used to running. Ignore the naysayers and keep going! Think about it, what would you get out of it if you don't even bother? It's certainly better to exercise three days a week than none!

Be proud of getting through the first two weeks. You are doing great! If you get to the point where you want to add more exercise to your week, think about adding a strength training program to go with the running.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 6. It has taken me longer than the 6 weeks to get there, but 3 days a week of running seem to be plenty to me (especially at this point). I do yoga, pilates, go for long walks with my dog, and online exercise videos on off days. Perhaps you could try doing yoga on the off days? Arm/ab work?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Stick with the program!!! It might not be too strenuous now, but working up to running 3 miles 3 times a week is no small feat! Anyone who tells you otherwise is either very fit already or has no idea what they're talking about. You're starting from nothing. You need to start somewhere, and this program is a great one.

If you feel the need to add something else, instead of a fourth run each week, mix in some other exercise--maybe yoga, weightlifting, a long walk, or something else you enjoy. You certainly don't need to run four times a week to reap the benefits.
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody on here! Just keep doing the program. I started it last year at 270ish pounds. Yeah, I'm not fast, but that's okay.

You're doing awesome and you should be very proud!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people here, myself included, doing c25k very successfully. Just push through the program and ignore the discouragers. You'll find lots of support here.

Personally I also want to tone, so I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution in addition to my running. It all depends on your goals, but the three day running is fine if a 5k is what you're striving for.
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stick to the plan. At first I thought it was too easy, but as the weeks progressed it became more challenging. Three days a week is an ideal place to start for beginners because it's easy to commit to and ensures that your muscles don't get any injuries due to overuse. You will be shocked by how fit and determined you feel by the end. I personally did some yoga and zumba classes while doing the C25K, so I was working out anywhere from 3-5 times a week with 3 of them being C25K. Of course, the program may not be for you after all, but I encourage you to stick with it until Week 5 and see how you feel at that point. I guarantee you'll feel a sense of accomplishment if you finish the entire program and will make running part of your life.
  • LoisRoseTav
    LoisRoseTav Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you want it to be a harder work out just increase the pace but if you are happy and it's getting you running then that's all that matters. I'm about to start week nine tomorrow. Found it really helpful because it set attainable goals.

Also they have a strength training podcast for non-run days if you are interested in that.

http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/strength-and-flex-standing-press-up.aspx?searchtype=Tag&searchterm=Healthy+living_NHS+Strength+and+flexibility

I haven't tried it personally (because I like to swim for fun on my off days and do my strength training at the gym before my cardio) but I imagine that might add a bit extra if YOU feel like you want to do more.

Fitness should be something that suits your lifestyle because the key is consistency. No point in exercising everyday for hours on end for just two weeks and then falling off the wagon because its not sustainable.
  • cheeringfortheenemy
    Options
    I apparently forgot how to internet...

Wow! Thank you so much for the responses. I'm not really active on the site, but I was starting to think I wasn't doing enough. I started to crosstrain a bit because I actually already have more energy than I used to after two weeks. Just finished my first weekthree and admittedly, I struggled a lot with three minutes.

Thank you for the advice and links. It's good to know other people have followed these programs and grew so quickly into runners!
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    Options
    Another idea is if you feel like it's not challenging enough, try to pick up your pace so that you end up going further each time. I actually just started. I'm redoing week one since I'm not yet able to run all the running portions, but feel proud that after starting at running only 1/2 of them, yesterday I ran all but 1 so my progress is very slow but steady. I keep telling myself that's fine because it is more than I've done before! I hope you'll post as you progress. I'm really interested in how others have done using this, especially those with more than 100 lbs to lose like me!
  • cheeringfortheenemy
    Options
    I find it plenty challenging! I'm barely making the three minute run mark. I'm going to try week four, but I might have to revert back to week three one more time. I guess we'll see! I would like to lose maybe...40-50 lbs, but I haven't weighed myself in over six months.

I'm actually living in Korea at the moment, and a scale seems like an unnecessary purchase since I'm leaving in six months. I haven't really started a diet plan, either. It's really hard with my schedule. I work from 11 am to 9 pm, and the commute is a little less than an hour each way. Dinner comes well after 9:00, and lunch comes around 1:00pm. This schedule is not ideal for eating healthily! Oops!