Need support this time to succeed!

Options
Hi! I am new to MFP, I have struggled with my weight for many years and have allowed my weight to get so high that it now affects my health. My sister-in-law and I recently entered a 5k (we walked). It quickly became evident just how out of shape I was. I felt like I was going to pass out and my hands and feet started to swell about halfway through, but we pushed on and completed it. I felt like that "fat woman" everyone stared at as they passed. I was proud I made it the whole way, but internally, when I saw myself in pictures, I was completely embarrassed and ashamed.

A long, serious, honest and eye-opening visit with my doctor, 7 bottles of medications, 2 bottles of vitamins, and a bottle of low-dose aspirin has been my breaking point. I was informed I am borderline diabetic, have high blood pressure, vitamin and iron deficiencies. I have chronic fatigue, my feet and knees hurt constantly and I am constantly sick, too. As I sat and stared at all those bottles lined up across my counters, I said enough is enough!!! It is time to conquer this demon once and for all!
My first step has been to admit I have a problem: I binge eat. (I have medication to assist with this)
My second step: I am track everything I eat now. I am measure out whatever I eat--- portion control!
My third step is to admit I have just really gotten lazy! I have an exercise chart to remind and motivate myself and my dog's leashes with it.

It's been very difficult to face the fact I have done this to myself and allowed myself to get in this condition. It is up to me to make the changes and be the woman God created me to be! I have a great, supportive husband and an impressionable 11 year old step-daughter that I want to be a positive example for.

Bottom line is I must get my body healthy. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. For me, this is not an issue about wanting to be "pretty" or "thin". It is about health conditions that, if not addressed, will only get worse. My weight has yo-yo'd for many years. Now, I have hit my highest weight ever and it sucks. Anyone who says weight does not affect your body, its functions, and how you feel (physically, emotionally, or mentally) are in denial.

Thanks for allowing me to "open" up on this forum. I have always been really sensitive about talking about my weight and the struggle. Any encouragement, low-fat recipes, and exercise tips are appreciated!

Replies

• moretrees
    moretrees Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am new myself today and your story resonated with me. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want and we can support each other on this journey....(although I'm not even sure how to add a friend yet! lol) I am optimistic after looking on this site that with hard work, we can do this!!!
  • mistybreiner
    Options
    This sounds very similar to my story! I walked a 5k in Sept of 2011 and when I saw pic's I was devastated... I already was on many medications for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, trigylcerides, etc... I understand. Your moving in the right direction, don't give up!!
  • Heidi0630
    Heidi0630 Posts: 27
    Options
    Congrats for taking the first step in realizing and admitting that you are overweight. I think the first step is the hardest. Now that you've admitted it, you need to take responsibility for it. Just remember, you didn't put the weight on overnight, and it won't come off that quickly either.

Weighing & measuring your food is key. Writing down everything that you eat is key, as is moving (exercising) daily. Even if you only do 10 minute increments at a time. Do 10 minutes 3-4 times per day and you'll start feeling like you're accomplishing something.

MFP is a great support system, and the people will help you and encourage you along on your journey.

You've taken that first step....Way To Go!!!!
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    I wish I'd have been at that 5K event you did, I would have been cheering you on! That is a major achievement well done. It's easy to fall out with ourselves, particularly us women and hormones don't always help either. You're in good company here and we have all embarked on this great health and wellbeing journey. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with diabees in February 2012. I did not want medication, so my doctor gave me three months to see if I could lose weight on my own. My nutritionist pointed me to MFP, and I have lost 60 lbs. since the diagnosis, most of that because of MFP. I am now a controlled diabetic, my blood sugar is normal, and what's great is that my cholesterol went down to normal, too, even though I wasn't trying for that. MFP is great because you can tailor your food diary to what you need to track, and the community here is great. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me as a frend. 8^)
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have about 75 lbs to lose- was diabetic during my last pregnancy. I'm terrified that if I don't get the weight off, it will return. I love MFP, and have just started excercising. I started on my lunch by going for a little walk. I now exercise almost daily, and actually 'miss it' if I don't do something. I feel better already, and have been sleeping better too. Good luck and welcome to the journey!
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up!! First off, you did the whole 5 k (walking or running doesn't matter...you did it!!). And who cares if the people watching might have stared. They were just standing there watching. You were doing it! Give yourself credit. Second off, you know you binge eat and you are getting help for it. Again, yay you!!! Get healthy for yourself not for anyone else. You sound like you are honest with yourself and that is such a huge thing. Honesty is hard when you're overweight. You know, only look in the mirror from the neck up. Wear bigger clothes so they don't feel tight so we don't admit we're fat. Ask your kids if you're as big as the lady over there and believe them when they say "No, Mom!". You should be proud of the steps you've taken to be more healthy. Take it a day at a time and don't beat yourself up. You will get there. Sometimes it's one step forward, 2 steps back but every once in a while it is 2 steps forward and only one step back.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above. If you are tracking your food, you probably have set a calorie goal. It may be self defeating to go from over eating whatever you wanted to eating only 1200 calories. Set your goal higher and reduce it gradually as you learn to eat healthy.