Weight Lifting...Where would a fatty like me begin?

Options
Recently I have been reading that weight lifting is better for burning fat. Because I am not able to do much high intensity cardio I have been alternating between the eliptical and exercise bike and the treadmill. These have not given me good results. Where do I begin with weight lifting. I have access to a gym with a wide variety of weights and equipment. I don't be all gungho then give up due to being unorganized and uninformed. Send me a friend request if you think you can be of assistance...thanks

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You need to read a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women".
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster, although I have been doing it and I like it and plan to finish it, I liked the first stage, and I hope the second one gives me more results! any way, get "new rules of lifting for women" and give it a run.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    FIRST step.....dont call yourself a fatty. Dont see yourself like that.

See if your gym offers a free personal training session to teach you some of the machines and weights. If not you can always look online and google ...weight lifting for beginners.

The book the other poster mentioned is okay also. I find so much information on health and fitness websites and u Tube.
  • wclay915
    wclay915 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you start out slow and light on the weight lifting. Work more on form of the exercise then the amount of weight. As you become better at the form start to increase the weight. You'll be surprised how your body responds. As far as weight loss, your body takes about three weeks to adjust to what you are doing. Once it adjusts it starts giving up fat (for energy) and increases your muscle for endurance.
  • mayeast
    mayeast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get started - slow at first then once the habit kicks in you can challenge yourself. I always think it is best to book a trainer to show you the correct way to lift weights (either free weights or machine) and really focus on correct 'form' rather than lots of kgs. I did read something a while back which explains that when you first start it doesn't always show on the scale as the muscle starts building quicker than the fat goes - but then you wake up one morning and notice the shape and the scales go down. Good Luck. And like another said don't call yourself fat - we are all just a work in progress.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com which has programs for people at all levels from novices through the more hardcore types.

GL! Once you start, you'll love it!
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I started losing weight in Jan 2012 and managed to lose 70 lbs on my own. But i knew I needed to start lifting to keep up my weight loss and improve how my body looked (loose skin sucks!). I had no idea how to start or what to do. This was compounded by the fact i have multiple bone, joint, and soft tissue injuries.

So I found myself a personal trainer. It is something you might want to look into. After learning how to lift I feel comfortable working on my own, but I still continue working with my personal trainer once a week.
  • x58890
    x58890 Posts: 14
    Options
    There is a wonderful app called Jefit (www.jefit.com). You set up an account online and install the app on your smart phone. On the website, you can choose one of dozens of strength programs developed by the Jefit trainers. Several are designed specifically for women just starting out with strength training. Once you pick a routine, it syncs to your smartphone. You then go to the gym with your phone showing you exactly what exercises to do and for how long. It even has animated photos showing how the exercise is done. My personal recommendation is to get a personal trainer walk you through the workout for the first week, just so you know exactly what you're doing, how to use/adjust the machines, and ensure proper form. After that, you'll be set!
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Building muscle and sculpting your body is a great way to get results...and since muscle burns more calories than fat, you'll end up slimming down faster as your strength increases!

When I first started with weights, I'd do two or three exercises per muscle group (back, arms, shoulders, chest and legs) 3-4 times a week. I'd do the same machines/workout for 2 weeks, then change machines, but still work on the same body parts. MyFitnessBuddy is a great app that breaks down workouts for each area so you don't feel lost in the gym.

After a few months, I'm now working on just one or two muscle groups per workout (back/bi's, shoulders/tri's, chest, legs) plus abs every time. I'm in the gym (which is at work) at least 4 times a week, plus two cardio only days on my days off.

The biggest challenge is just getting STARTED! Once you feel more comfortable in the gym, you'll look for new challenges. I'd be more than happy to share my workout with you, if you'd like.

Happy lifting!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start with Sarting strength by mark rippetoe and strong lifts.

new rules of lifting for women is OK but IMO it's a bit over rated.

after that you get started by familiarizing yourself with the stuff in the weight room. have a trainer show you how to properly use squat racks and good for for squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc.

and have fun!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com which has programs for people at all levels from novices through the more hardcore types.

GL! Once you start, you'll love it!

This is a great site!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You need to read a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

I would agree, also suggest a book called Starting Strength, 3rd Edition.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    start with Sarting strength by mark rippetoe and strong lifts.

new rules of lifting for women is OK but IMO it's a bit over rated.

after that you get started by familiarizing yourself with the stuff in the weight room. have a trainer show you how to properly use squat racks and good for for squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc.

and have fun!

Heh, how am I NOT surprised by this post? :happy:

Mark is awesome, good rec.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I was just starting out, I'd read NROL4W for the background and strategy. Then I'd read Starting Strength to learn how to do the lifts. Then I'd follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've been wondering about the same thing. I am baffled by and fearful of the weight machines and free weights in my gym. It seems like only the enormous, muscle-y men use them. I feel intimidated and unsure. I have been considering hiring a personal trainer, and I really think that is the best route for me--since I have no knowledge or experience with this form of exercise.
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info. I have googled for information but it all gets so overwhelming. What I should do is take my hubby to the gym with me and have him show me what each machine does and have him help me formulate a routine.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'd really suggest following Starting Strength. 5 lifts to learn, 3 sessions per week. The first is Squat, Bench, Pendlay Row, the second is Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift and then you just alternate between the two workouts every time you hit the gym.

Barbell work will strengthen your core and work more stabiliser muscles than machines. Also, come on over to the women's lifting group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women We don't bite, and we have women doing all sorts of heavy lifting programmes now.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're new to lifting I found my best results first were off band training and cables. It's going to be different from person to person, but generally all you need to do is whatever lifting or resistance training you're doing make sure you're being safe while pushing yourself.

Don't pull or push from your joints. Think about what muscle you want to be doing the work and try to push/pull with that muscle or group of muscles. I started watching a lot of Youtube videos on fitness on form and exercises ideas. It gave me confidence to try new things in the gym because I saw the exercise done several times before I attempted.

Also, this may sound critical, but if you're not getting results from cardio... weight lifting isn't going to give you magic results either. If you're not losing weight you're eating too many calories to what you expend...