How Many Calories Per Day Should I Eat?

Options
I've been on several websites, including MFP, and it seems like everyone has different caloric needs per day.

I'm 5'4", moderately active, 140lbs and want to lose 15lbs.

I've read that I need anywhere from 1200-2000 calories. What calculators are you guys using?!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    why not just start with the MFP goals calculator? Just plug in the info you just gave and it will set up everything for you. Follow that plan for a month or so and see how it does for you.

Until you get a little more knowledge under your belt, you really don't want to attempt setting it up manually.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Here is what you are looking for: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Since you need to lose 15 pounds I would go with 10%, that would be 1/2 pound a week.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    why not just start with the MFP goals calculator? Just plug in the info you just gave and it will set up everything for you. Follow that plan for a month or so and see how it does for you.

Until you get a little more knowledge under your belt, you really don't want to attempt setting it up manually.

agreed
  • wpbmommy1
    wpbmommy1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used MFP's calculator to tell me how many calories to eat but then I customized my macros because I needed to lower my carbohydrates percentage to fit into my diet because I am diabetic. Good luck!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've been on several websites, including MFP, and it seems like everyone has different caloric needs per day.

I'm 5'4", moderately active, 140lbs and want to lose 15lbs.

I've read that I need anywhere from 1200-2000 calories. What calculators are you guys using?!

Someone in another thread recommended this site:

http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

I used the basic calculation "25 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [11.5-13.5 kcal/pound]".

Per my activity level (sedentary) and my weight (100 pounds today), my range would be 1150 to 1350. That makes perfect sense. Shortly after joining MFP I realized that to lose weight I need to be around 1150 most days. Incidentally, I'm 5' 2".