nervous about running again

Options
so the past two years i have had trouble with my calf - not just running but also any kind of high impact cardio - its only my right calf that i get this tight pain that i have to stop.

I have done lots of stretches etc but nothing seems to make a difference, i have my running shoes which were fitted by a top running store in the city. I have not done any high impact cardio for the past 6 months thinking it may have been an injury so i am hoping that it doesnt come back but i am really nervous about getting back out there and running

has any had anything like this before - not sure what it is and my doctor couldnt find any fault either ;-( i really want to run

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a better warm-up before you start running, and possibly you need a better running program. What I mean is, maybe you are going out too hard and fast. Have you tried something like couch25k? Something that eases you back into running?

Another idea is a rebounder, or mini-trampoline. It is a great way to get in some cardio without the high-impact that normal jumping or running does to your body. It also really strengthens your calves and feet. Start out with 2 min intervals and increase your time gradually.
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks i have used c25k in the past - i get to week 5 and then my calf starts playing up again
  • eerhodes
    eerhodes Posts: 4
    Options
    Try to get back into running really slowly. Possibly do a couch to 5k program and do some crosstraining or strength training. If something starts to hurt take some time off and rest it. I had really bad shin splints many times when I started running and just did too much. I started back very slowly and am now running regularly with little or no pain.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    thanks i have used c25k in the past - i get to week 5 and then my calf starts playing up again
    Maybe stay at weeks 4 and 5 longer, do them for 2 or 3 weeks. Do extra stretches and strength exercises, like heel and toe raises, every other day.