Neutral or pronator

Options
Anyone who's a runner knows that you don't just simply buy running shoes and then go and run. You have to make sure that you wear the correct running shoes. A couple of months back I bought a pair of new running shoes which were neutral but it turned out that I'm a pronator and barely a week after running in them I injured my calf muscle. Everyone, from the doctors, the physiotherapist, and the shoe experts all confirmed that It was a result of running in the incorrect shoes. I was amazed how getting the correct shoes (Nike Lunarglide Dynamic Support) in combination with rest and physiotherapy I was able to recover and get back into running. For every runner out there, the correct running shoes are just as important the correct training to avoid injury.

Are a neutral or pronator? And have you ever found yourself in same situation as me? How did you overcome it, aside from getting the correct shoes?

Replies

• leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am an overpronator. When I first started running I would experience calf and shin pains. The right shoes was all I needed to fix the problem
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a pronator also, but learned this very early by buying my shoes at a running store with staff trained to assist in assessing my needs as opposed to me buying the "pretty" shoes I picked out myself. ! I have been able to avoid injury by following their advice.
    Would never buy shoes for running long distances without professional assistance.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's a runner knows that you don't just simply buy running shoes and then go and run. You have to make sure that you wear the correct running shoes. A couple of months back I bought a pair of new running shoes which were neutral but it turned out that I'm a pronator and barely a week after running in them I injured my calf muscle. Everyone, from the doctors, the physiotherapist, and the shoe experts all confirmed that It was a result of running in the incorrect shoes. I was amazed how getting the correct shoes (Nike Lunarglide Dynamic Support) in combination with rest and physiotherapy I was able to recover and get back into running. For every runner out there, the correct running shoes are just as important the correct training to avoid injury.

Are a neutral or pronator? And have you ever found yourself in same situation as me? How did you overcome it, aside from getting the correct shoes?

I would have been unable to train outdoors if I had not had my running gait analysed and fitted with the correct training shoes.

There is no overcoming it, being fitted with the correct shoes by a good running shop is, in my opinion, priceless. Injuries interrupt training and can ruin any forthcoming races and the risk by not wearing the correct footwear is just not worth it as far as I am concerned.

My own trainers are Saucony ProGrid 2.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am an underpronator, but I didn't learn about it until I started 5K training and hurt my knee because I picked 'stability' instead of 'cushioning' shoes. The correct pair of shoes are the exact same brand sold at the exact same price (albeit of different model), yet it makes a world of difference.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Had a neutral gait until I switched to a more flexible, minimalist style shoe. I picked up a slight overpronation. Worst thing I ever did was to go minimalist. Had to retrain my gait again using a pair of Brooks Ravenna4. What I wound up doing was landling properly on my heel, but as my foot came under my body up to the toe off I started rolling it and pushing off with my big toe. Screw minimalist and everybody who says regular shoes are hurting us. I was never more miserable than I was running minimalist. Ran in 'em for months too so I was well past the "getting used to" phase.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had a running store examine my stride (though they only looked at my walk, not run stride) years ago. Honestly can't remember what they said I did and the shoes I bought from them didn't turn out so well. Have since figured out I underpronate.

Just bought new running shoes and we'll see how they do. I had some Saucony Cohesion 5 shoes and loved, loved them. Been best for my feet. The updated model, 6, I haven't found locally in my size, and the 10's were just a bit too snug in the toebox (unlike the 5). After spending a lot of time yesterday trying on all kinds of shoes at the store, I'm trying some Nike Flex Run 2013's, which felt very good in the store. If they don't work, I'll probably give it a go at ordering the Cohesion 6's in the size I think I need online.

Seems like adventure every time I need new shoes.:laugh:
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I over pronate. I have been wearing the same brand/style of shoes for years. I go through a couple pairs each year so I turned to the internet to try and find them cheaper. I went to buy my last pair and could not find my shoes anywhere, if someone had them they were on clearance. I thought the company discontinued the model so I bought the same brand but a different style thinking they would be the same. BIG MISTAKE !!

I was training for a half marathon during this time, I did my first long run in my new shoes and could hardly walk when I got back. My IT band that had been quiet acted up and I was having strange pains in my other leg. Went to a running store and took my old pair with me and said I needed something like this shoe. I tried a couple different kinds and settled on a different brand. Same thing happened on my next long run, now I have IT band issues on both legs. So $300 dollars later I still don't have shoes that work and now both legs are messed up.

This story does have a happy ending. I get e-mail's from my local running stores and in one of those e-mails they mention that they just got their new shipment of shoes in and they have my brand that I thought had been discontinued. I went to the store and asked them if it was true and she told me that some shoe manufacturer's now have agreements to sell certain brands of shoes only on their websites and certified running stores.

I am still having some IT issues even though it been 3 months since this all started. It's amazing how quickly things that can downhill when you are not wearing the correct shoes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have my orthopedic dr tell me I'm perfect and can run in any shoe I want. I have worked hard on my hips and knees strength and stability and flexibility to be able to do so. I'm a minimal runner, but started with foot strength and flexibility. The book Anatomy of a Runner by Jay Dietchery is great. He is a runner and physical therapist. I also work with a podiatrist who doesn't believe that surgery is a fix and doesn't prescribe orthotics for everyone. There is a product called correct toes which will definitely help pronation. Work on a bosu or stability board also helps so much.