First Week and Constipated

Options
EPierce8
EPierce8 Posts: 5 Member
Hey guys! I have done my fitness pal before and did not have the motivation to continue so I stopped. I am back on it and have been on it for a week. There is just one problem. I am constipated. I weighed myself after a week and it said I gained a pound, but my belly feels big and I can't go to the bathroom. I took Milk of Magnesia so we will see if that works. My motivation is I got engaged about a month ago and I want to look on on the day I say "I do." I have been doing cardio for 30 minutes every other day and I even joined a gym. I am serious this time and there is no turning back. I can do this, just after I get this uncomfortable feeling out of me. Has anyone else had this problem when starting out?

Replies

• LynndaThompson
    Options
    yes, it has happened to me! You have to drink a lot of water and increase the fiber in your diet. I personally use the plain powder from the store and either put it in my coffee or sprinkle it on my food. U cant taste it at all! Fiber helps to flush the fat out after you have freed it up by excersizing and it helps to keep you regular. pruins are a natural stool sofner as well. one a day keeps the clogging at bay!!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Have you had a good cup of coffee? Maybe a nice glass of prune juice? Also two servings of prunes followed by a glass of warm water will get it moving along. Try some yoga as well, preferably a routine with a lot of forward bends.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables and water. Personally eating an entire cucumber or two does the trick for me. You need to increase your fiber, but fruit and particularly veggies are the best way to do that. Also, I know this is not the healthiest choice, but if you're over 21, having a drink with liquor in it always gets things moving for me....
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Sorry to re-use this thread, Saves me having to open another thread (search option ftw!)

I seem to be having the same problem as of late. I eat alot of veg an fiber so i dont know whats going wrong.

Iv upped my water intake and today iv had 100ml of prune juice to help me.

When my diet was poor, i never had any issues with this department... since the change of diet and adding exercise my daily has gone to about 3 days before i can.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had this problem, every time I start to change my eating habits to "healthy". You would think it would be just the opposite. The key is fiber, like everyone has said before me. BUT, PLEASE try not to use a laxative, like M.O.M.! If your system gets used to needing that, it could really mess you up, later on. You want to make sure you are getting at least 15 - 20 grams of fiber a day. I changed my food diary to show my fiber instead of my sodium. I ended up being very surprised how little I was getting at first. Some days I have to add Metamucil or I bought my daughter the fiber chews at Costco.

Congrats on the engagement. And don't let this discourage you! Once you get rid of all that is "clogging" you up (please forgive the visual :noway: ) you will feel better and once you start going on a regular basis your body will adjust naturally. Good luck!
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :drinker: A strong cup of coffee usually help get things moving for me
  • alexalaurel
    Options
    Another option is to increase your fat consumption. That's what finally did it for me. In the past, coffee has always worked. So has green leafy veggies. Or fiber powder, or senna tea "Smooth Move". However, when I started seriously dieting, and eating low carb, I was SUPER constipated. I knew that I must be losing weight, I just wasn't passing anything!!! For me, I really needed to increase the fat in my diet. (Not sure what your macro ratio goals are, but I'm high fat, low carb, moderate fiber) I started adding a "fat bomb" made w/coconut oil to help meet my daily calorie and fat goals, and that really did the trick. Now I have been drinking "bulletproof coffee" instead of my normal breakfast, and that is REALLY doing the trick. Back to my normal multiple BMs per day. Fat was my ticket outta constipation hell LOL. Good luck!!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, but they think I have food allergies so I'm being tested this upcoming week.

Women should have about 25-30 grams of fiber a day. I track mine on here because I don't track sugars (as majority of my sugar is from fruit and one banana puts me over for the day, which I find ridiculous.)

Men require a bit higher fiber (30-40 grams a day).

make sure you're getting the required amount (if you are under, start increasing it slowly! Don't do it all at once!). Otherwise like everyone else has said - coffee or prunes will get you moving again.
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    firts of all, it is NORMAL ! the metabolism slows down with low calory intake, so does the intestinal transit...

as the others say, increase water and fiber consumption, cofee works. I also drink caffeine-free laxative infusions with sene, include fibers or baby prune compote to my everyday diet. And once a week when my transit has been very lazy I take laxative pills from phyto medecine.

well, good luck :happy:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Too much protein made me constipated. I used to use the cheap *kitten* six star from walmart...that didnt help.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Try massaging your tum. In baby massage class we use this all the time and it gets things moving.
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this! Another good option are chia seeds. I make a great breakfast called overnight oats (real easy to make and delicious!), and whenever I do I find I have a movement that day - recipe below. I was also told by my Doc that MiraLax is a safe stool softener laxative that is safe to take that won't cause you any problems down the road. It doesn't work right away takes a day or two but I'd rather have something safe than cause a need for them permanently in my future. I also try to eat a lot of greek yogurt, for the probiotics, which also has an effect. Good luck!!

PM Ingredients:
    1/3 cup regular oats
    1 cup almond milk, and more if needed
    1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1 ripe banana, peeled and smashed
    1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Directions: Mix together the above ingredients in a bowl and place in fridge overnight.

In the morning, remove bowl from fridge and add your magical toppings…
    (I don't always add them, I feel it doesn't need it!! Also calories are about 320 with just the above its listed in the database)

1 tablespoon nut butter
    Pure Maple Syrup
    Directions: Serve nut butter in a spoon and drizzle Maple syrup over top. Serve overnight oats cold.

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/08/easy-vegan-overnight-oats/#ixzz2V50CkmaI
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Look at all the things you are taking in. Medication will do it along with pain medicine. You will have to increase your fruit and vegetables. When planning my meals I think about fruit or vegetables first. I am down to eating meat only 1-2 times a day. It will clog you up if you don't chew it well. Sugar, lack of rest, and stress plays a big part. 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and honey will make your bowels active this work for my son. I use 1 tsp of baking soda in 8 ounces of warm water. You can use less. Beware your stomach will be in discomfort right before the relief happens. This helps me to know when to be close to the bathroom. I don't do this often. I try to eat fruit and vegetables. Here is another link
    http://everydayroots.com/constipation-remedies. Good luck.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    If you've changed your diet recently it can take a while for everything to adjust to the new diet, and don't forget you are probably eating a lot less volume of food than before so there's not as much need to go!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat a package of instant brown sugar oatmeal with plenty of water and I have ZERO problems with constipation!
  • clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience but when I started eating "primal" aka mostly meats and vegetables my body couldn't handle the hard to digest proteins and fats. I started taking a Digestive Enzymes and Betaine HCI supplement and my digestive issues have gotten better.