Please help. Reasearch project on complementary therapies

Hi, I am currently doing a research project at university and wondered if any of you kind, lovely people could help me out?

I know a few people on here love holistic therapy and massage so thought I'd ask on here as one of many of my research avenues.

Just would like a head count of how many people have any type of complementary therapy on a regular basis.
What kind of therapy you chose, i.e. reflexology, massage, aromatherapy etc?
(If not too personal) why you have those treatments or why you started having them?
What you think about the treatment from your own personal experience?
Did it work for you?
If anybody had treatments alongside cancer treatments or know of anyone that chose to receive them during palliative care, what was your/their experience.

Please note that I am talking about complementary therapy and not alternative medicine.

I want to come at this from a mind over matter angle rather than a completely medicinal angle.
I know it isn't proven to work but I do know that it can help to relax, de-stress and help people.

Thank you in advance :)

I am doing my paper on the use of complementary therapy and does it have a place within medicine and palliative care? (The title of the paper may change as I go along, however, it will always be regarding how/if these types of therapies help alongside patients prescribed medicine for illness or injury)

Replies

• Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    I have a massage every 2nd Wednesday
    I have become a runner as part of my weight loss and exercise regime and at 65 doing longer distances and faster paces I can get real sore and the massage works my muscles helps blood flow in my legs and works on relaxing my body as well as my mind .Maybe its all mental maybe not but knowing the massage is out there coming up I will sometimes push myself alot harder.
    I started as an avenue to relieve the stiffness and soreness
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    what information will just a head count of a few random MFPers who happened to see your post because they were 1) on at a particular time and even 2) saw it and then 3) chose to respond give you?

ask a few specific questions and you can call it a survey, at least, and have some content to work with. ok, you have a few questions there, sorry. maybe define complementary & alternative medicine so people know what exactly you mean, will help.

(in my early twenties i did acupuncture 2x, saw a naturopath also 2 x; have not bothered since, because it's costly - could not afford the tx recommended for long enough to see a benefit. & there's not enough evidence there to persuade me now. would do massage, that's about it; not a regular user of these therapies. i think they're a nice luxury for people who can afford them. more studies and standardization & regulation of training (& of any herbal etc supplements/medicines - atm not standardized, bits are harvested from different plant species and parts of plants, at diff times of year, processed differently - no grading of that stuff) would help convince me.
  • Lola87xx
    Lola87xx Posts: 11
    If you read my post properly I said it was one of MANY of my research avenues. It's called collecting data from different sources; so I thought I would utilise this site, as I know a few people have had complementary therapies for either illness and injury, and I wanted to see if anyone would be kind enough to give me their experience.
    I am currently in touch with GPs, hospitals, cancer patients, hospices, complementary therapists and I am also collecting data from the public.

If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all.
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    I use scenar treatments, acupuncture, and sacro cranial osteopathy, depending on which I think is most suitable or if one doesnt help, I will try another. Its great for trapped nerves, muscle cramps, sore backs. The scenar treatment was the only one that helped my headaches and my cocyxx pain (caused by all the stitching up after a prolapse repair). I would much rather use them that pills and find them very good.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    If you read my post properly I said it was one of MANY of my research avenues. It's called collecting data from different sources; so I thought I would utilise this site, as I know a few people have had complementary therapies for either illness and injury, and I wanted to see if anyone would be kind enough to give me their experience.
    I am currently in touch with GPs, hospitals, cancer patients, hospices, complementary therapists and I am also collecting data from the public.

If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all.

not trying to be rude! i think you could get more useful information from this particular effort if you were clearer about your definitions & questions, is all. (also take some basic demographic info if you can)

& i offered my reasons for *not* using these therapies, that sort of thing might also be useful