CNN's report on gastric bypass surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Based on the weight loss tickers of the posters in this thread, many of you have achieved some amazing successes without surgery. Hats off to this group.

People have suggested GB surgery for me but I am not sure if I could have made it through the psychological assessment - I'm the consummate emotional eater. Apparently the good therapists dive deep into your history to see if you have the fortitude to follow the eating plan. It's still the same as what everyone is doing here - eating fewer calories and moving more. But there is now just a sort of "chain link fence" in your gut - chain link fences can still be compromised though.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    if you are a good candidate for bypass surgery, you are already in deep, deep trouble.

this is true
    being at the stage of having your stomach cut out as a last ditch to saving your life, then you are basically a giant slowly ambling out of breath corpse.

its too late. you pretty much already ate yourself to death... I think its almost irrelevant. if you are a good candidate, you already jumped off the cliff.

this is not true. there is hope for everyone.
    bypass = a 900cal almost liquid diet afterwards right?

seems better to do it through calorie restriction.

agree with that.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Not a liquid diet after the immediate post-op phase, unless you enjoy dumping syndrome. Eventually they eat normal foods, with restrictions. These patients need to limit fluid and carbohydrates in their meal or else risk gastric dumping that causes hypoglycemia, extreme sweating, heart palpitations, colicky stomach cramps, explosive diarrhea, and passing out. (The way to diminish this is by lying down for 30 minutes after a meal). Diet after surgery at first is very restricted, but eventually allows for 1000 calories per day (plus supplements).

No bypass patient can take NSAIDs or any drug that is meant to be broken down in the stomach, because their stomach is smaller and empties before the drug has been properly digested by gastric juices. Most will need to take meds in liquid form. It is a huge lifestyle change.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I wonder, and I have no idea the answer, what the results would be if instead of paying for surgery, insurance or NHS, as the case may be, paid for the plastic surgery to remove the skin if you lost the weight on your own? No way to know for sure, but human nature tells me that, at least some people would use that as motivation. Lose the weight the healthy way, get the body lift for free.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I wonder, and I have no idea the answer, what the results would be if instead of paying for surgery, insurance or NHS, as the case may be, paid for the plastic surgery to remove the skin if you lost the weight on your own? No way to know for sure, but human nature tells me that, at least some people would use that as motivation. Lose the weight the healthy way, get the body lift for free.

what an idea! would be great to at least do some surveys to see if there'd be interest
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    its an easy way out and drastic...I mean seriously if you need someone to go in and make your stomach smaller that is extreme. It's easier to eat less and do it the healthy way
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    Surgery does not fix the psychological issues that cause many people to be as big as they are (depression, binge eating disorder or compulsive overeating, etc, eating while bored/stressed, etc.) This type of surgery assumes that all fat people just need to eat less and all their problems will be solved.

I've known almost a dozen people who've had variations of the surgery, with a grand total of ONE long term (i.e. 5+ years) success story. The others have ended up malnourished, didn't lose weight, lost weight and then gained it all back plus more, or in two cases, dead.

Seems like a drastic measure for such a small success rate. But hey, anything to stop the ~obesity epidemic~, right?
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    if you are a good candidate for bypass surgery, you are already in deep, deep trouble.

being at the stage of having your stomach cut out as a last ditch to saving your life, then you are basically a giant slowly ambling out of breath corpse.

its too late. you pretty much already ate yourself to death.

but yeh. I think its almost irrelevant. if you are a good candidate, you already jumped off the cliff.

Wow. Just wow. I really hope nobody struggling with obesity is relying on you for support and encouragement. That is one messed up perspective you've got going on there.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

what an idea! would be great to at least do some surveys to see if there'd be interest

That's kinda what I'm going for. I started out at 360, so I acknowledge that I might have an uncomfortable level of excess skin.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

its too late. you pretty much already ate yourself to death.

but yeh. I think its almost irrelevant. if you are a good candidate, you already jumped off the cliff.

Wow. Just wow. I really hope nobody struggling with obesity is relying on you for support and encouragement. That is one messed up perspective you've got going on there.

ok, ok, maybe thats a bit harsh. ill rephrase.

if you are a good candidate for bypass surgery, where having your stomach cut out is a viable last ditch option to save your life, then you are in deep, deep trouble.

hopefully its not too late, but you are well on the way to eating yourself to death.

as it was

having GB surgery is irrelevant without a change in mindset and eating habits, and you could do the latter without invasive surgery.

cutting out your stomach to eat 900 cals seems really, really stupid when you could work with health professionals to regain your self control, eat 1800 cals (or whatever healthy deficit), loose weight and keep your stomach.

even with the surgery you would need to regain self control, cause if you don't you will just stretch out the bypass and be back at square 1.

so whats the point of GB surgery again?

sometimes what people find hardest to hear is the truth.
  • ambernbarrier
    ambernbarrier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I believe that everyone has the right to choose. But i agree that surgery should only be used if someone, really can not stop themselves from over eating. I totally am freaked out at the idea of surgery, but just last year I was to that point as is most everyone i know 150+ overweight. I say don't judge, but if you know someone in that situation just do like my friends do for me. Give positive encouragement, and hold them accountable on their diets. That is what has helped the most. Some people just do not know how to make that change on their own.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I believe that everyone has the right to choose. But i agree that surgery should only be used if someone, really can not stop themselves from over eating. I totally am freaked out at the idea of surgery, but just last year I was to that point as is most everyone i know 150+ overweight. I say don't judge, but if you know someone in that situation just do like my friends do for me. Give positive encouragement, and hold them accountable on their diets. That is what has helped the most. Some people just do not know how to make that change on their own.

but if they really cannot stop themselves from over eating then they will wreck the surgery by over eating
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    I would like to ask how when their stomachs are basically cut in half? Also important to point out who in their right mind is going to put themselves through that torture and not do it right. Just because someone had issues before the surgery doesn't mean they will after. Although I can agree it can happen. All I am saying is it is not something we should hold against someone. Maybe it was the push that someone needed to get healthier. In the end if they achieve the same result we should be happy for them. My heart does go out to those who the surgery doesn't work for. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

but if they really cannot stop themselves from over eating then they will wreck the surgery by over eating
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My Doctor suggested it and I was like NO... I know 6 people that have had it : One died during the initial surgery, One died from complications, One lost a ****load of weight to turn around and gain it all back plus an extra 50lbs, Three are malnourished and have become serious alcoholics - one addiction in place of another. Personally this may be a long way to lose but with changing comes drastic changes, eating better, exercising more, living healthier
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I would like to ask how when their stomachs are basically cut in half?

if you mean how could they reverse the surgery? by eating too much, and walla, the gut is stretched out = new stomach.
    Also important to point out who in their right mind is going to put themselves through that torture and not do it right.

someone who thinks the bypass is the solution rather than the bypass + a change in mindset
    Just because someone had issues before the surgery doesn't mean they will after.

the bypass doesn't cure the cause of the overeating / addiction over night. thats for sure.
    All I am saying is it is not something we should hold against someone.
    this is true.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure about posting as I'm sure I'll get beat up but I'm feeling strong so bring it on.

I had gastric bypass surgery Sept. 2012 and don't regret it at all. In fact, I wish I had done it sooner. Felt I needed to set the record straight in that not everyone who opts for surgery got fat just by overeating, eating crap or not exercising. There is another side to this and I am one on the other side. I put on 105lbs. when I developed several medical issues and had to go on medication. Before this I weighed 170lbs. which was higher than I liked but I ate farily well and worked out 4-5 times a week doing cardio and some small weights.

I fought a good fight trying to keep the excess weight from the meds. off but one medication in particular just kept piling it on. And since one of my conditions causes chronic pain and fatigue, it got harder and harder to keep up with a regular work out schedule. I tried reducing my medication and even tried going off them altogether but I was just suffering way too much and felt I had no choice but to start back on them. I have played around with the dosages to find the right one that gives me enough relief to get through the day but without the severe end of the side effects.

I started researching the surgery when I realized that I was fighting an uphill battle and loosing severely. As well, I was told by a doctor that no amount of eating right or exercising would get the excess weight off. So after a two year process of appointments with a nurse, behaviourist, nutritionist, psychologist, clinic doctor, surgeon as well as group presentations and many medical tests, I had the surgery. I followed the post surgery diet to the letter and had no complications whatsoever. Yes I have to make sure I get plenty of protein in every day but I do this with a combination of protein powder, pre mixed shakes and real food.

As for all the side effects that can occur after sugery, not everyone gets these. I have experienced some hair loss but it has been minimal and not noticeable at all. I haven't had any problems with my nails and have never experienced any dumping. I do have to take certain vitamins for the rest of my life but I was already taking most of them long before surgery. And as for gaining back weight, obviously it will occur if you start to eat badly but , again, it doesn't happen to everyone. I am on a weight loss surgery site with many who are 2 years and more ( many are over 10 years) post surgery and none of them have gained back more than 5-10lbs. because they follow the program.

I do admit that a big part of my decision was the fact that I didn't have to pay for it. I live in Canada and our government health care covers it.

So bash me if you want but I felt that I had no other choice and that not everyone experiences the worst of the worst. And as someone posted, it is a personal decision. ~
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    Congratulations. I feel as long as it is working for you that's wonderful. I am so glad you shared. Keep up the hard work.
    Wasn't sure about posting as I'm sure I'll get beat up but I'm feeling strong so bring it on.

I had gastric bypass surgery Sept. 2012 and don't regret it at all. In fact, I wish I had done it sooner. Felt I needed to set the record straight in that not everyone who opts for surgery got fat just by overeating, eating crap or not exercising. There is another side to this and I am one on the other side. I put on 105lbs. when I developed several medical issues and had to go on medication. Before this I weighed 170lbs. which was higher than I liked but I ate farily well and worked out 4-5 times a week doing cardio and some small weights.

I fought a good fight trying to keep the excess weight from the meds. off but one medication in particular just kept piling it on. And since one of my conditions causes chronic pain and fatigue, it got harder and harder to keep up with a regular work out schedule. I tried reducing my medication and even tried going off them altogether but I was just suffering way too much and felt I had no choice but to start back on them. I have played around with the dosages to find the right one that gives me enough relief to get through the day but without the severe end of the side effects.

I started researching the surgery when I realized that I was fighting an uphill battle and loosing severely. As well, I was told by a doctor that no amount of eating right or exercising would get the excess weight off. So after a two year process of appointments with a nurse, behaviourist, nutritionist, psychologist, clinic doctor, surgeon as well as group presentations and many medical tests, I had the surgery. I followed the post surgery diet to the letter and had no complications whatsoever. Yes I have to make sure I get plenty of protein in every day but I do this with a combination of protein powder, pre mixed shakes and real food.

As for all the side effects that can occur after sugery, not everyone gets these. I have experienced some hair loss but it has been minimal and not noticeable at all. I haven't had any problems with my nails and have never experienced any dumping. I do have to take certain vitamins for the rest of my life but I was already taking most of them long before surgery. And as for gaining back weight, obviously it will occur if you start to eat badly but , again, it doesn't happen to everyone. I am on a weight loss surgery site with many who are 2 years and more ( many are over 10 years) post surgery and none of them have gained back more than 5-10lbs. because they follow the program.

I do admit that a big part of my decision was the fact that I didn't have to pay for it. I live in Canada and our government health care covers it.

So bash me if you want but I felt that I had no other choice and that not everyone experiences the worst of the worst. And as someone posted, it is a personal decision. ~
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I feel as long as it is working for you that's wonderful. I am so glad you shared. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks so much for your support. ~
  • tenpoints4u
    tenpoints4u Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who have had GBS, the band or the sleeve. one GBS is doing well, lost the weight and is keeping it off so far, the other GBS has a number of issues with nutrition and was in ICU for 4 weeks about three months out. He is now doing better, but looks unhealthy to me.
    Three other friends have had the band....two of the three lost about 60 pounds initially and stalled. Are still overweight and never reached their "goal". The third one is about a year out from surgery and teeter totters with exercise and food choices.
    Two have had the sleeve. One is doing well and the other stopped losing. She finally admitted she was having the cake and ice cream instead of good food, so her calorie intake is the same, but bad calorie choices.
    I have done a lot of research on all three. I would not personally have the bypass because I don't want my natural body to be rerouted as the bypass would do. I don't think there is enough studies on people who have had the surgery and are now reaching their senior years where nutrition can already be an issue. I did not like the band because it is something artificial inserted into the body that can move or break and requires doctor visits more than I want to see a doctor.
    I would and have considered the sleeve which is basically doing the same surgery someone who has a bleeding ulcer would have to save their life (think Richard Petty). It keeps the natural system intact but is limiting the amount of fuel that can go into the tank at one time. I went to the pre-surgery class, had all the evaluations done and was cleared to have the surgery. I went to the nutritionist and read all the guidelines. I went to the therapist and spilled my guts out.
    Then I analyzed why I'm overweight and what I do to contribute to it. I WAS EATING....sweets, sweet tea, four times what I needed at a meal, ice cream or some cookie at 10 p.m. and going to bed because I was P.O.'ed at my husband, and stress eating when my mom and dad died three years apart.
    I looked at what I would have to do if I had surgery....stop drinking sodas and caffeine drinks, stop drinking anything while I was having a meal for 30 minutes before and after...limiting my calories to 1000-1200 per day....exercise....limiting carbs and sugar intake per meal and day...
    And then I decided if I have to do this after surgery, why can't I do it before surgery, just bypass the surgery. And I think I have decided I CAN. I go to the therapist every six weeks so I have a sounding board but with someone who has no dogs in the race. I see the nutritionist every six to eight weeks so she can look at what I am doing and make recommendations to make what I am doing even better...I get off my butt and exercise with zumba or walking or working in my yard or swimming now that the water is warm enough. I elected to use this MFP site rather than Weight Watchers because I was never really successful with Weight Watchers. I would lose 30 pounds and gain back 50. When I look back at why it was because WW never curtailed carbs and sugars as stringently as I needed them to be cut back, and I never really had a way to see it on paper other than "points"
    MFP gives it to me right now and as I plan the day I can see exactly where I am at with each meal.
    I have been on here 105 days since February 15 and lost 41 pounds. If I had had the surgery I would have lost about 10 pounds a month. If I get to a place I can't lose 5 pounds a month or when the plateau comes and I can't get past it, I will revisit do I want to take that next step, but right now this site and the folks I have as friends on here are my support and I'll keep the track intact.