Weights and cardio

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
When doing your workout do you do cardio then weights or weights then cardio? Does itb make difference what order you do them in?

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If you need to do them on the same day, try weights, then cardio. Best to pick up heavy things when you're fresh.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    According to my weight lifting sons you need to do a bit of cardio first before weights to get the blood moving in the muscles.
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Always do cardio first. Gets the body and muscles warm, so you don't strain yourself when lifting weights. Plus if you do too many reps first on weights and your arms are tired you will not get the full benefit of your cardio as your posture will automatically start to sag/slump.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    According to my weight lifting sons you need to do a bit of cardio first before weights to get the blood moving in the muscles.

Just a warm up, really...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you need to do them on the same day, try weights, then cardio. Best to pick up heavy things when you're fresh.

Yep
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When doing your workout do you do cardio then weights or weights then cardio? Does itb make difference what order you do them in?

I feel like its good to keep the body guessing and go both ways but I will always do a short warm up, even if it's just jumping jacks for 2 minutes, before I start weight lifting if I'm doing cardio after.

But always pick which way works better for you :o). I know it's different for a lot of my friends and they prefer one way or the other.

I do agree with the other posts though that when I'm doing a heavy lifting/intense day-especially legs, I have to do cardio after, especially if it's interval running or stairs.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Yep
    Ya, best to discover you're too tired to continue on the treadmill and not with a barbell over your head.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I would be doing a workout dvd and cardio
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to do 6-10 min cardio warm up and then do the weights. Full cardio workout afterwards.
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options

"Most" workout videos are going to fall under cardio not weight lifting. Order between these two is going to be personal preference.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

You can warm up and get the blood moving just by doing lower weight warmup sets. This has the advantage of getting the joints moving in the way you will be using them. This also lets you adjust your form before you get to the heavy stuff.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Weights first, if you must do them on the same day.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I don't do "cardio" and weights on the same day. I do about 10 minutes of light cardio before I lift though. The days I run, I do not lift.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's preference. I've done it both ways with success (toned muscles and weight loss). I currently find the running to be more challenging so I'll run 3 miles then lift weights. Later on when my running is less demanding I may switch it up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

"Most" workout videos are going to fall under cardio not weight lifting. Order between these two is going to be personal preference.

^^agreed
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    On days where I'd do a Jillian DVD that uses weights as well as get a run in, I always do Jillian first and then run. I know I can give it my all during the strength training workout if I'm fresh.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio then stength exercises......for no reason what so ever.....i just do
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have read that it is best to do warm up sets of the lifts you will be doing. That said I do a cardio based warm up/cool down when I am doing strength work. I am not on free weights yet just using my total trainer
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting heavy, you should absolutely lift first. A short cardio warmup is okay, but nothing too strenuous. You don't want to be hefting around a heavy barbell after 90 minutes of bicycling.

If you're not lifting heavy, then do whatever is most important to you first. Put your fresh energy into the things you care about most.