Need Help To Quit Smoking!

Options
I need some support and friends to assist in me quitting smoking! I have decided to stop smoking tomorrow! I am having to many health problems this needs to be the last day I smoke and it needs to stick!

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I need some support and friends to assist in me quitting smoking! I have decided to stop smoking tomorrow! I am having to many health problems this needs to be the last day I smoke and it needs to stick!

Two reasons: having health and the amount of money that you are spending on cigarettes that is giving you health problems should be significant reasons to stop.

It is going to be easy of course not, but you have to look at your quality of life now and say the next 2-3 years if you were to continue smoking.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Boy, I wish I had quit when I was your age but I just didn't "get it". Finally quite 4 years ago and I guess I was ready because I never looked back and still can't believe I ever smoked :laugh: It was easy for me because I just didn't want to smoke anymore. I wish you all the very best of luck and if it helps please add me. Best thing you can do for yourself but you just have to be aware of the fact that watching your weight at the same time can be a challenge but YOU CAN DO IT:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Check with your local hospitals... a lot of them have free stop-smoking programs. I quit many years ago with the help of a program. The first few days are rough, but eventually you will feel like a normal person and never think about cigarettes. Best of luck!
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi there! Boy, I wish I had quit when I was your age but I just didn't "get it". Finally quite 4 years ago and I guess I was ready because I never looked back and still can't believe I ever smoked :laugh: It was easy for me because I just didn't want to smoke anymore. I wish you all the very best of luck and if it helps please add me. Best thing you can do for yourself but you just have to be aware of the fact that watching your weight at the same time can be a challenge but YOU CAN DO IT:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Considering that I gained all my weight back I am worried that quitting smoking is going to make it worse. But you know when its time you have to want to quit to quit and I want to quit. I just need it to stick this time lol
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to kick back the habit for almost a year now and have problems sticking to it. Although I went a month without smoking in January, I started again. It's hard to quit but if you want to add me and we can motivate/support each other not to smoke, it might help.
  • ssami_89
    Options
    Check with your local hospitals... a lot of them have free stop-smoking programs. I quit many years ago with the help of a program. The first few days are rough, but eventually you will feel like a normal person and never think about cigarettes. Best of luck!

Thanks there is a program here but I think im going to use self control because I'm ready now. It will take at least 2 weeks for them to get something to help me. If I fail I am definatly going to get help from the program!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I quit all the time with Nicotine gum ;)

Ok seriously, nicotine gum does it for me. It takes the fun out of smoking. Try it.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sami - I highly recommend the book, the CD's or tapes or the online workshops from "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking" I smoked for 37 years, listened to the CD's in my car 2 1/2 times and quit...have not looked back and its been 9 months smoke free.
    Look it up, give it a try - what do you have to lose? Good luck!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I quit 30 years ago because I refused to pay 75 cents a pack for cigarettes! LOL. I was a two-pack a day smoker and I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded at the age of 24. So I just quit. Cold turkey. It was hard but every day it got easier. Take it from somebody who did it a really long time ago - you will be glad you did. It makes everything easier when you just remove that from the equation. You'll add years to your life and probably your future children's lives as well.
  • ssami_89
    Options
    I quit all the time with Nicotine gum ;)

Ok seriously, nicotine gum does it for me. It takes the fun out of smoking. Try it.

The gum burns my throat and makes me cough lol I don't like it at all
  • ssami_89
    Options
    I quit 30 years ago because I refused to pay 75 cents a pack for cigarettes! LOL. I was a two-pack a day smoker and I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded at the age of 24. So I just quit. Cold turkey. It was hard but every day it got easier. Take it from somebody who did it a really long time ago - you will be glad you did. It makes everything easier when you just remove that from the equation. You'll add years to your life and probably your future children's lives as well.

Thankyou reading this made me more confident to quit. BTW I would gladly pay 75 cents a pack lol thats not the case these days though
  • kelsbeckins
    kelsbeckins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking in January 2013. i just decided I was tired of feeling like crap, smelling like it, and being out of breath all the time. I went cold turkey. The biggest thing for me was removing all temptation. My boyfriend and I quit together since niether on or the other couldn't do it. I removed myself from places that triggered it (IE late night bar drinking). Within a few weeks or months I felt so much better that it simply wasn't worth it. And the taste and smell disgusts me now.

I didn't worry about the weight gain much since I could run and exercise so much more since I wasn't killing my lungs on a daily basis.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • ssami_89
    Options
    I quite smoking in January 2013. i just decided I was tired of feeling like crap, smelling like it, and being out of breath all the time. I went cold turkey. The biggest thing for me was removing all temptation. My boyfriend and I quit together since niether on or the other couldn't do it. I removed myself from places that triggered it (IE late night bar drinking). Within a few weeks or months I felt so much better that it simply wasn't worth it. And the taste and smell disgusts me now.

I didn't worry about the weight gain much since I could run and exercise so much more since I wasn't killing my lungs on a daily basis.

Good luck! You can do it!

What a coincidence lol I quit January 2013 also lol. Good job on sticking with it!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    E- cigs
    nicorette lozenges
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Thanks there is a program here but I think im going to use self control because I'm ready now. It will take at least 2 weeks for them to get something to help me. If I fail I am definatly going to get help from the program!

Another option is to quit on your own and sign up for the program anyway. That's what I did.... I signed up for a 6-week program and had already stopped for 2 weeks, but I went anyway because I knew I might start smoking again. It really helped me. They taught me to see myself as a nonsmoker. Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do!
  • ssami_89
    Options

Another option is to quit on your own and sign up for the program anyway. That's what I did.... I signed up for a 6-week program and had already stopped for 2 weeks, but I went anyway because I knew I might start smoking again. It really helped me. They taught me to see myself as a nonsmoker. Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do!

Oh ok then I will definatly call! Thankyou
  • Sobeeit
    Sobeeit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago with the help of great people from QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com lots of great support and advice on kicking nicotine addiction to the curb :)

http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/index.php
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Here's how I did it. I made a plan: a pack of 5 e-cig cartomizers at 21mg, then a 5 pack of 16mg, then three 5 packs of 11mg, then 8mg patches with 0mg e-cig cartomizers for a week, then no patches and just niquitin sweets with 2mg each unti I couldn't be bother anymore.

I got as far as the 11mgs and that did it for me...I'm 110 days smoke free now, I've on slipped up and had a few drags after consuming too much booze on 2 occasions now but I'm happy with that. I also took up running, a good motivator because I felt like my lungs were gonna turn themselves inside out lol!!

The most important thing though is you have to truly WANT to give up - if you don't then you won't...simple as! It's taken me several attempts!!
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I quit in 2007 because I didn't want to pay $4.00 a pack! Money is a real motivator. My husband and I quit cold turkey together and saved the money to take the family to Disney World.

OP, it really does get easier. Just take it one day at time...or one 10 minutes at time. I found that lollipops and sugar-free gum really helped with the oral cravings.
  • ssami_89
    Options

I quit in 2007 because I didn't want to pay $4.00 a pack! Money is a real motivator. My husband and I quit cold turkey together and saved the money to take the family to Disney World.

OP, it really does get easier. Just take it one day at time...or one 10 minutes at time. I found that lollipops and sugar-free gum really helped with the oral cravings.

Thats exactly what I was going to pick up was lollipops and gum!