There's got to be an easier salad ... right?

Options
fanullona
fanullona Posts: 82 Member
I think salads are delish and I love mixing up ingredients but I've gotten stuck in a monotonous salad rut - same old thing every day. So I tried looking online for fresh new salad ideas but I've only found ones that require expensive, obscure ingredients. Does anyone have good suggestions that won't break the bank or my patience searching grocery stores?

Replies

• frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Try field greens, a few sliced strawberries, a few blueberries, a sprinkle of crumbly blue cheese, a few walnuts with low fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing. This is very easy and a nice change from the classic salad.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like fruit in mine -- strawberries and/or apples, pecans, cucumbers, chicken breast and thinly sliced red onion.

I've got kids, so if I don't feel like grilling up fresh chicken breast just for a salad, I'll sometimes cut up 3 or 4 chicken nuggets into my salad, too. It makes me feel like I'm committing a small, forgiveable sin..... :smooched:
  • infiniter
    Options
    For dressing I sometimes use salsa and it's SO good. Adds a lot of flavor.
    For protein I use tuna fish or hard boiled eggs.

Just experiment! Use a vegetable you wouldn't normally use, like, I don't know, sweet potatoes!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Even though a lot of people I know snub it for looking like cat food (psssh, whatever...), I *love* those little flavoured tuna cans (they're the little 85g ones)--no refrigeration required, and the sauce the come in serves as a dressing for the salad. There's so many flavours that you can switch up a few ingredients and make a totally different salad... for example, today I'm using lettuce, celery, peppers, and tomato tuna, but I also have spicy thai, so you could use lettuce, cashews, and some fresh basil with that.

I also like "fruit salads"--spinach, pineapple chunks, canned mandarin orange segments, and raspberry dressing, with toasted nuts (or candied nuts, if you want a real treat).

Of course, there's always the old standby, the chicken caesar... you could try swapping the chicken for salmon or a bean mixture.

Good luck!
  • AfroGeek
    AfroGeek Posts: 18
    Options
    I like chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, corn, red onions, avocado, bacon bits, and/or olives in my salads.
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    I am not someone to ask about salad ingredients, but I'll post anyway, because someone might like the idea. Chinese tea eggs, sliced up on top (don't need salt or dressing with those, at least not for me). Pickles (as in, pickled cauliflower, pickled garlic, etc), kimchee (oh yeah, that's good stuff). Basically, anything that has enough flavor that you don't need dressing, but is still healthy on its own.
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    Try field greens, a few sliced strawberries, a few blueberries, a sprinkle of crumbly blue cheese, a few walnuts with low fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing. This is very easy and a nice change from the classic salad.

I like the above but with goats cheese. I could never stomach blue cheese ;)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Goat Cheese is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G...try it and see.

You can definitely change up the flavor by different kinds of dressings...

I have a salad rotation I do...

- Greek salad (feta, black olives, cucumbers, romaine, grape tomatoes, grilled chicken w/ vinegarette)
    - Curried chicken salad (grilled chicken made curry style, celery, halved grapes, red onions, raisins, slivered almonds over romaine w/ a yogurt curry dressing)
    - Bruschetta salad (chopped tomatoes, basil, red onions that have been marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar over romaine lettuce)
    - Asian salad (shredded cabbage or asian slaw, peanuts, shredded carrots w/ ginger dressing)
    - Ceviche salad (chopped cooked shrimp, chopped red onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, chopped cucumber, all marinated in a lime/orange/lemon juice with olive oil dressing over romaine)

The list goes on and on...I get a lot of ideas from www.cookinglight.com. Salads don't have to be boring, or using Wishbone Italian dressing! LOL
  • sanrog
    sanrog Posts: 68
    Options
    I had a great salad for lunch today - Romaine, Spinach, Cucumber, Avocado, black olives, red onions, green pepper, grape tomatoes and for protein I used blackeye peas. I love any kind of beans in my salad. I make up a squeeze bottle with 1/2 cup olive oil to 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and garlic (it tastes great)- Only use 2 tbsp in salad.
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love Greek salad

Tomatoes (either a big beef tomato cut into chunks or cherry / baby plum ones cut in half), cucumber cut into chunks, crumbled feta cheese, black olives (I don't like olives so I miss this out and add a little extra cheese!), lettuce. Put it into a bowl and then sprinkle a little dried oregano or other mixed dried herbs over it and then pour on a tiny bit of olive oil (I can get away with about 3g / 3ml) and a bit more white wine vinegar.
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. Thank you!!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I just discovered a great one that is very filling, tasty and low cal :bigsmile:
    Eata Fajita Salad - (From Crazy Plates)
    (Warm chicken fajita salad with a chili-lime dressing)

½ cup of low fat sour cream
    2-1/2 tbsp. Lime juice
    1 tbsp. sugar
    ¼ tsp. each of chili powder and ground cumin
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into thin strips
    1 cup each of sliced green and red bell peppers
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
    ½ cup of salsa
    2 tbsp. chopped fresh calintro
    8 cups of shredded romaine lettuce
    ½ cup of shredded reduced low-fat cheddar cheese (2 oz)

In a small bowl, combine sour cream and 1-1/2 tbsp. Of lime juice, sugar, chili powder, and cumin. Refrigerate dressing until ready to use.

Spray a large, non-stick wok or skillet with non-sticking spray. Add the chicken. Continue to cook over medium –high heat until the chicken is no longer pink and it appears lightly browned. Add the peppers and the onions. Cook for 3 more minutes. Add salsa and cook for 2 more minutes.

Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp. of limejuice and cilantro. Mix well and remove from heat.

To assemble salad, divide the lettuce among 4 serving plates. Top it with the warm chicken mixture. Spoon dressing over the salad. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    These sound great! Can't wait to try some of them. I love salads!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I love a "traditional" salad; however, when I feel like adding something additional I like to add various types of bean. Black beans are my favorite, but I have also added white bean and garbanzo beans. They add a new kind of twist, plus you get extra protein and fiber!!

Oh.. maybe try a new salad dressing, that might help make an old dog new again!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    look at the fresh express premade salads. they have a bunch of diffferent ideas that can be modified to be less calorific. For instance, there's one that has a few different rasisns, apples and nuts... or there's one with chicken and little tortilla chips and dried pineapple.

and you can try kidney beans, the tuna pouches which come in different flavors by Starkist, and corn and who says you have to limit yourself to norm... if it looks interesting and you might want to add it to a salad... do so.. the worst thats going to happen is you dont like it, just means you won't make it again.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Since the massive recall of the bagged salad stuff in the stores for bacterial contamination I keep regular romaine and iceburg in the fridge. I wash it well, drain it, chop/tear it and toss it in the sink full of ice water and wash it again. I let it drain well (salad spinners rock!) and bag it with a couple paper towels. It keeps for a week in the crisper with the bag very lightly twisted shut. I also do this with baby spinach leaves. Then I have the base for what ever I desire to throw into it for a salad.

My favorite for the spinach is raisins, slivered almonds and boiled egg. Anything will go in a regular salad... left over grilled chicken, turkey taco meat, cottage cheese, beans, turkey chili, chunky spaghetti sauce... what ever I have.
  • meecher
    meecher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YUM. will be doing that one this week. It's funny how you might have all the ingredients to a dish but can't quite figure out what will work best until someone points it out to you.
  • mshultz
    mshultz Posts: 4
    Options
    Bump
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    Oh man the one with avacado and baby soonach sounds amazing!

I made a salad for dinner including corn, avacado, tomato, cucumber, mixed beans and garlic with a dash of olive oil and lemon to taste! Would have added baby spinach and maybe pumpkin! Was soooo good and filling!
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    I tried a new one last night which was gorgeous:

250g cherry tomatoes
    1/2 a chopped cucumber
    2 diced red peppers
    1 can of drained kidney beans
    1 can of drained sweetcorn
    4 chopped spring onions

for dressing:

1 tsp. tabasco sauce
    4 tbs. red wine vinegar
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. ground cumin

it makes four servings, 170 calories each. I ate mine with grilled mackerel and sweet potato mash, was lovely. I'm going to eat the rest tonight with grilled chicken.