Runners! Ear Buds or Ear Duds?

Options

Replies

• Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm in love with are "yurbuds". They're made specifically for athletes. They lock into your ear and don't come out. Waterproof. Great sounding. I think I purchased them for $40 a couple weeks ago. Worth every penny.

This. Yurbuds are the only thing that has ever worked, and believe me I have tried everything. I have the $60 "Ironman" model, that comes with a dry mic and the ability to pause, FF, or rewind the track that's playing. Worth EVERY penny. And, it comes with some sort of a warranty, which I've never had to use (knock on wood).

These look great! Do you use the Yurbuds that wrap around your ears or the ones that just fit in your ears?

I have the ones that fit in my ears. I have "problem" ear holes, and ear buds typically either hurt me or fall out during a run. These have never, ever hurt or fallen out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The ones I'm in love with are "yurbuds". They're made specifically for athletes. They lock into your ear and don't come out. Waterproof. Great sounding. I think I purchased them for $40 a couple weeks ago. Worth every penny.

This. Yurbuds are the only thing that has ever worked, and believe me I have tried everything. I have the $60 "Ironman" model, that comes with a dry mic and the ability to pause, FF, or rewind the track that's playing. Worth EVERY penny. And, it comes with some sort of a warranty, which I've never had to use (knock on wood).

These look great! Do you use the Yurbuds that wrap around your ears or the ones that just fit in your ears?

Twist & lock ones. They allow ambient sounds too so you are aware of your surroundings, a big plus for "US RUNNERS". Very comfortable to. I never have to mess with them running or weights.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I use Bose IE2
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpQB1mTNgcVJsnJDNi78_S6CTta5DjznK9y-1Cqmo4oYPuBV1k-ISs1N-F
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8ORkz-TWW9BPotzzYtO2IwQJQY6Q1iHNRcGa1uL6OH_1gHidv7vGbp3E
    They look weird, but they sit in your ear and not fall out. Comfortable, and come with 3 different sized earbuds you can interchange for the right fit. It's expensive, 70-100$ but worth it IMO.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I got a pair of Rocketfish bluetooth headphones Cheap on Amazon and theoretically I can talk on the phone while running.

I think talking via Bluetooth on my phone while running would solidify my status as the "crazy neighbor lady" in my neighborhood! For the sake of my kids, I probably shouldn't go there! :wink:
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of ear buds at walmart for $20.....they're JVC Marshmallow earbuds and kinda like memory foam. So they expand to fit in your ears. It also comes with two different size buds that you can switch out. I used to spend more time holding in my old ones than I did running. Now, they do not come out until I want them to!
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I have the behind the ear clip style - I see yurbuds have one similar - love them. They are comfortable & never fall off, knew I had to have them as soon as I saw them; earbuds were never my friend.
  • nashtri
    nashtri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have run for many, many years and have never found a set of headphone (and trust me, I have purchased many different pairs) that I like as much as these. I hate cords and these solve that. I hate the big block in the back that the Motorola bluetooth have. I would seriously look at these as every long distance person who has tried them loves them.

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/freedom-sprint-bluetooth-headphones/
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Kinivo BTH220s I use.

Great battery life, bluetooth connection (so I don't deal with wires anymore) and they're about as comfortable as can be given that I'm sometimes wearing them for upwards of two and a half hours.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I use power beats by Dre, but you can get cheap buds that clip over the year for $10 at most stores. They do the trick, but can blow out after a few months because they're not sweat proof.

If you run the cable up the sleeve of your shirt and out the neck it should help with not ripping them out of your ears as well.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

These look awesome but useless for long runs, battery on my phone would get juiced very quickly from bluetooth.

Really? I use the Rocketfish Bluetooth headphones all day at work....with my galaxy s3 phone. Doesn't kill my battery.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Running outside, I haven't been listening to music. Enjoy the sounds around you. It's safer anyway. If I do listen to music, or if I'm at the gym, I use a pair that I cut one bud off, and tuck the remaining cord under my shirt sleeve and bra strap up to my ear to keep it in place. So, one ear is free to hear what's going on around me, and the cord is generally kept in place so I don't rrip it out with flailing appendages.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I live in the city, so there aren't many pleasant sounds to keep me company while I run. Car horns and engines don't really do it for me!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I hate ear buds. I have small ears and they never stay in my ear, even when I'm not working out. I bought some sports headphones that clip over my ear and they work much better.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yur buds are awesome. Everyone I have recommended them to thanks me and loves them too.
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have murdered a few pairs of earbuds by sweating too much, and the others liked to fall out of my ears and drive me crazy. Picked a set of Polk Audio Ultrafit 500's at Amazon awhile back and have been using them both for running and cycling, they work great!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Most everything I have tried (powerbeats Dre, Shure, etc) all require a "seal" with your ear to sound right. If you lose that seal, you pretty much lose all punch and bass and they sound like garbage. I have yet to find any that keep a solid seal while running. If you are like me, you end up hot and sweaty and mix that with running and they just lose the seal. The only option I found was to wear a headband over the ears, which I didnt like because I would end up too hot.

Surprisingly, the best option I have found recently is the new standard iPod headphones. The sound is pretty respectable and they do not requre a seal in the ear. Cheap, lightweight, and quality sound!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120P-In-Ear-Headphone-Pink/dp/B003EM2WAW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370199204&sr=8-4&keywords=earbuds

^^^I bought these cheapies from Amazon...they are AMAZING! Never slide out, and very comfortable. Not bad for $5, and they come in several different colors.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I use these too. They are awesome and they rarely come loose because they are specially designed to "lock" into your year..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I started running almost two months ago, and I absolutely love it! What I don't love? My ear buds (a.k.a "ear duds"). I would love to be able to listen to music while running, but the ear buds never seem to stay in my ears. They usually end up ripped out of my phone and stuffed in my bra within the first 5 minutes of my run! Grr...

So, what ear phones do you use when running?

I have some ironman branded earbuds, but I find it wiser to run without music, for two reasons:
    1. at races you can't use earbuds.
    2. Safety. You need to hear and see what's going on around you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

These look awesome but useless for long runs, battery on my phone would get juiced very quickly from bluetooth.

Really? I use the Rocketfish Bluetooth headphones all day at work....with my galaxy s3 phone. Doesn't kill my battery.

Yes really..factor in nike+ which uses GPS at the same time and there's only so much the battery can take even with music, bluetooth,phone and GPS,Nike+ as the only 'live' applications. for a long run of typically 2-3 hours, I can't see the iphone having anything battery-wise in reserve incase I needed to take/place an emergency phone call.