Running getting harder not easier

Options
I don't understand what's been happening to me. I started c25k 5 weeks ago and was feeling great. A week ago, even 3 weeks ago I was able to run 10 minutes straight and felt great doing it. For the last few days I feel terrible 2 minutes into it. I can't breath, my legs hurt and I just feel like stopping. Been pushing myself but end off totally exhausted. To add insult to injury I've gained 2.5 lbs this week.
Any insight as to what may be happening?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down. No reason to race through it. Go at a pace that you can complete the workout.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    Use a HR monitor and slow the heck down.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Agree with slowing down.

Also, how's the weather where you are? If it's like it is here, it went from comfortably cool to beastly hot and humid in the past week. I don't think anyone can maintain the same pace in high temps.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I dont think its my speed because I'm going at the same speed I was going before (which is slow to begin with). Even during my warmup walk im feeling the difference.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've been under eating. You have to fuel that activity. When I don't eat enough, within about two weeks I know it by my total lack of ability or motivation to perform.
  • Wgbn32
    Wgbn32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I think its just your body adjusting to the added stress.

I continued my same routine though and just yesterday I ran my first mile without stopping. 13 minute pace...which i know is crazy slow...but it was a huge accomplishment. I actually ran a mile and a half.

The key is just to push through the tough days. Stop when you need to stop but stay consistent. Eventually you will break through.
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Weather plays a big role. It's been averaging 88 degrees here..and for a Canadian gal like me that's too damn hot! Even working out in the gym has been a struggle. Slow your pace down a bit, make sure you're also working on your flexibility and core strength on your off days. Make a log of what you are eating/drinking before your run. Were you perhaps more hydrated on the days you did well? Did you eat something that typically leaves you feeling great or sluggish?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what's been happening to me. I started c25k 5 weeks ago and was feeling great. A week ago, even 3 weeks ago I was able to run 10 minutes straight and felt great doing it. For the last few days I feel terrible 2 minutes into it. I can't breath, my legs hurt and I just feel like stopping. Been pushing myself but end off totally exhausted. To add insult to injury I've gained 2.5 lbs this week.
    Any insight as to what may be happening?

You're probably trying to push yourself too hard...it takes time, and a lot of it to up your fitness. Also, it is pretty much mathematically and scientifically impossible for you to have gained 2.5 Lbs of actual fat this week unless you've really been going to town. Remember, 2.5 Lbs of actual fat in a given week would be an excess of calories over maintenance (your MFP goal has a deficit) of 8,750 calories over 7 days. Not impossible to do, but you'd really have to just be letting yourself go balls to the wall on food and drink. If you haven't been doing that then you didn't gain 2.5 Lbs of actual fat...it is water.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My first guess would be your diet. You need to sufficiently fuel your body. Not just calorie counts, but good nutritious food. If I start eating too many empty calories the first place I notice is in the gym, not the scale!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Slow down, take more rest days
    :-)
    Really.
    It works !

Remember, not everyday is race-day
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I dont think its my speed w
    because I'm going at the same speed

It's your speed :-)
    If you slow down you can go longer :)
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Any idea what's behind the weight gain? Might be related. Also be sure you're downing enough water
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Try out interval running. I really like it and it pushes me to go faster and lets me slow down when I need to.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes the weather turned really hot suddenly and it's possible I haven't been drinking enough so I will concentrate on that. As far as what I've been eating, my cals have been under but I've eaten more sugar in the past week than before so maybe that's played a role. Will hydrate and eat cleaner and keep plugging away and will hopefully push through. Thanks for the help :)
  • Sinarv
    Sinarv Posts: 7
    Options
    As frustrating as it is, maybe your body is telling you to slow down....I was the same way as you and I kept pushing myself...so much so that I ended up on two weeks of antibiotics and the doctor banned me from running for a month....I could only walk...I really exhausted myself...I felt ok but I didn't listen to my body,,,,and it finally told me when I just stopped functiioning...take a break and do something else like yoga, biking, zumba...trust me its not nice to have your own body teach you a lesson....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as long as you dont have any underlying medical issues like hbp, diabetes, etc then i'd say make sure you aren't somehow increasing your pace
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Has your diet changed? Are you significantly under eating and it is now catching up to you? Are you dehydrated? Are you doing other workouts on top of it that you weren't previously? Do you have rest days?
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes the weather turned really hot suddenly and it's possible I haven't been drinking enough so I will concentrate on that. As far as what I've been eating, my cals have been under but I've eaten more sugar in the past week than before so maybe that's played a role. Will hydrate and eat cleaner and keep plugging away and will hopefully push through. Thanks for the help :)

Both dehydration and empty sugar calories will absolutely do it. Hydrate and eat clean and let us know in a week how you do!!

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes the weather turned really hot suddenly
    Heat has a tremendous effect. Everybody feels it and slows down when it gets hot.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just yes to all of the advice above. Sometimes that first mile is a bunch of curse words that I can't post here. It could be any number of things. When that happens, I usually take a few days off.