Weight loss = hair loss?

Options
ron2282
ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
For the past few months my hair has been falling out. I’m not saying that I have bald patches or anything like that, but my once really thick hair is now very thin. And every morning in the shower there is a big clump of hair in the drain. I’ve already been to the doctor and she said that there is nothing medically wrong with me to cause this. The only time I’ve ever experienced this before was a few years ago when I was on a particular type of birth control, but as soon as I switched brands it stopped.

My doctor said that since I’ve been losing weight my hormone levels are still changing and that could explain why it’s happening. She said that as soon as I hit my goal and start to maintain my weight that my hormones will level out and it will stop. I’m not looking for any type of medical advice, I just wanted to see if anyone else is or has experienced anything like this.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    On another weight loss site that I used to frequent, there was a large group of women who noticed that once they started using fake sweetners, their hair started thinning really bad. That may be something to consider?

My hair is very thin and fine and I had asked my doctor about it once. She told me to make sure I was getting enough lean proteins and vit B(biotin in particular). Something else to consider maybe?

Good luck!
  • sparis88
    sparis88 Posts: 30
    Options
    Do you take vitamins? Have you dropped your weight dramatically? Not taking vitiams and dropping the weight dramatically could also cause for the hair falling out. Your body may not be getting the nutritients it needs. Make sure you are on a healthy diet and you might want to consider vitamins if this continues to keep balance.

:happy:
  • shoegirl1
    shoegirl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sparis88 is right - you may not be getting enough nutrients. I take Biotin as a supplement to support hair and nail strength and growth. Stress can also cause hair loss, and worrying about hair loss creates more stress! If the hair loss continues, however, I would seek a second opinion.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had this problem on my previous diet which was very low cal and restricted. Every time I took a shower a ton of hair went down the drain. I was getting really worried but when I went off the diet it gradually stopped. I think it was because of poor nutrition.

This time I am eating healthy to lose weight - as per mfp - also taking a multi vitamin and biotin.
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hair needs nutrients (protein & vitamins B) just as your body does- I take a vitamin B suplement in liquid form to keep it thick & healthy and I also eat eggs- which are great for the hair too.
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Do you take fish oil? I overheard someone the other day saying fish oil can cause hair loss in some people. I have no idea if that's true or not though
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I’ve lost the 37 pounds since the beginning of January so I wouldn’t consider my weight loss dramatic or quick. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, I’m always way over my protein and most days I eat at least 80% of my exercise calories. But I don’t take any vitamins - maybe that’s my problem. I’m going to start taking a multi-vitamin and if I don’t see a change within the next month or so I’ll go back to the doctor. Thanks again!!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    Watch your fat too. I was told years ago that limiting fat intake will also cause hair loss. You need some fat to help carry stuff.
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    Mine has thinned too, it started around the 50lbs lost mark I think... :ohwell:

When I asked my Dr he said to make sure I was getting enough protein and iron. I take a multi and a biotin suppliment a day and it has started to grow in. I have a bunch of shorter hairs that look really funny sticking out when I have my hair back for a workout :laugh: The other thing is to get a good shampoo and avoid ones with sulphates.
  • Alleysinkwink
    Options
    That's strange, I used to have an eating disorder and have/had eating disordered friends and because of the lack of nutrients, some of us had receding hairlines/bald spots/general hair loss. Maybe you could start taking supplements?
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    That's strange, I used to have an eating disorder and have/had eating disordered friends and because of the lack of nutrients, some of us had receding hairlines/bald spots/general hair loss. Maybe you could start taking supplements?

I think it would be important to note that sudden hair loss can be a SYMPTOM of an eating disorder, but doesn't mean there is one.