How to get some willpower?

Options
I need to know how people have will power to say no to foods and what to do so you don't cave into your cravings?

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The only sure-fire way I have is to not have the stuff in the house in the first place.

I've even tried to work it so I don't have to stop at the shop on my way home from work as much so I don't have to walk past the bakery aisle lol Bust seriously, it does get easier when you start to see results as you don't see it as depriving yourself for no reason - or that's what I've found anyway.

Log your food properly and if you absolutely must have something a bit naughty, try and fit it into your calorie goal for the day. If it's the choice between an itty bitty cake or a nice filling dinner, it does have the effect of focusing you!

Good luck! :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You need to have specific short term goals. Things like "I want to fit into size X by summer" or "I want to run 5K by August", something along those lines. It's hard to stay motivated if your goal is simply to lose weight some time in the indeterminate future. When you are able to reach your goal(s), you will get a sense of accomplishment, so you are ready to set and reach the next goals.
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself and reward yourself along the way.

"I want my size x pants to be loose by the end of this month, and if that happens, I'll buy myself a new pair of pants two sizes too small as motivation."

Try not to get discouraged if you don't quite meet your goals, and always keep your ultimate goal in mind.
  • lyss1200
    lyss1200 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for years but I think I've finally cracked it (!!!)

Here's what's working for me-

I find that whenever I tell myself I can't eat something (eg chocolate, pasta, other junk food or even more calories than I think I should be eating)- that actually makes me want it more!

So instead of telling myself I can't eat it, I tell myself- I can eat it, but I'll just wait 15 mins first and then see if I still want it.

When the 15 mins is up, usually I don't want it anymore & don't end up eating it!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to concentrate on what I WOULD eat rather than what I shouldn't eat. So preplanning my meals and preparing the day's snacks in small zip lock bags helped.
  • sarahfashion861
    sarahfashion861 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I took all the bad foods out of my house. I only eat meat, fruit, veggies and small portion of pasta and rice. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. I learned everything is all in your head. You can do it! I have lost 31lbs in about 5 months. :) Keep it up!
  • breadangel38
    Options
    Lots of good tricks posted here. For me, I have to get rid of the food that calls out to me in the middle of the night. (it is NEVER spinach) The other thing that has worked very well is to plan, plan, plan ahead. I try to do what restaurants do--prep the ingredients in advance, make sure I have everything I need, and clean up the kitchen thoroughly at the end of the day.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I take it LITERALLY one meal at a time (or snack!) and make it as healthy as possible.
    I also make it a game to see how much over calories I can be when I exercise....and have someone watching me to say "hey, I bet you could do 2 more minutes...."

Also, I look for new foods or recipies to try. Variety keeps me intrested and wanting to try new and HEALTHY things. :)

You need to want it more than you want the junk food....at least on most days :drinker: