Running getting harder not easier

Options
2»

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just say take baby steps. Slowly increase speed and distance and don't take too many breaks in between or it will be like starting over and over!!! I went from running .25 miles to 5.5 miles!! You can do it. just don't give up!!!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana about 20-30mins before you go out for a run for the energy. Make sure you are well hydrated and SLOW down. It's not about distance, it's just about getting it done at that stage. Speed will come later. Right now you just want to get to a point where you can run for the alotted minutes. Distance and speed are NOT a consideration.

I did the same thing as you and I felt the same way.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also make sur eyou're not getting sick. I know I can't run or walk or do the elliptical very well if I"m having respitory problems, like allergies. I'm finally catching up with my workouts after having bad bad cough with my allergies. Slowing down might be a good idea as well.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I dont think its my speed because I'm going at the same speed I was going before (which is slow to begin with). Even during my warmup walk im feeling the difference.

Do you feel okay in yourself OP or have you got a temperature etc?

The reason I ask is because I have had identical reactions to my own training during the last few weeks, then today, sitting at my PC I suddenly couldn't breathe, had to call in sick to work and went back to bed - I have an infection and am off to the doctors first thing tomorrow to see if he will give me antibiotics.

Don't beat yourself up over feeling rotten during your training, there could be a far different reason for it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes the weather turned really hot suddenly and it's possible I haven't been drinking enough
    Running in the heat sucks. When the temperatures go up your body has to work much harder in trying to cool your core which is taking energy you usually use for the workout. Don't get discouraged, once things get back to a reasonable temperature you will be like a beast when you go run.
    Also hydration is important, especially in heat, but drinking a gallon of water is not going to counteract the effects of crazy high temps. Even if you hydrate you will still feel like crap until your body acclimates to the warmer temps. My wife is doing C25K and is working very hard to get out and run as early as possible in the morning before it gets a chance to heat up.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree that the heat could be a factor... extreme heat or cold will hinder performance... Heat doesn't affect me that much though. However, lack of food does, probably you aren't eating enough and / or not getting all the required nutrients your body needs. Also, try changing up your course (I find straight and flat courses allow me to go faster compared to running around in a community, on a treadmill or say a half a mile loop).
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from, OP, but if you are in an area that is very hot, know that if you hydrate well you will get used to the heat. I'm in south Texas, and run races all summer. Drink plenty of water all day long, not just right before or during a run. It's tempting to jump on a treadmill some days, and yeah, sometimes I do that too, but if you plan on running any races outside it's important to train outside and get used to the heat.