Who has a HRM?

Options
Hey everyone,
Ive seriously been considering getting a heart rate monitor and I was wondering why some of you have invested in them, how they have worked for you, and what kind you use/like...Any insight is appreciated!! thank you!

Replies

• ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I use it for getting calorie burn counts for cardio and trust those numbers far more than the MFP estimates.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi

I purchased the FT4 last year. Like the above poster they are great in measuring calorie burns, however i also use it to see how my heart rate is.

I do some boxing so it helps me to rein back a bit so i can work for three minutes of a round, if i work really hard i'll get fatigued quicker as my heart rate would be through the roof! i also love to see how quickly my hr goes down after a round of intense action.

I think it is a fun and amazing tool :). i do recommend the ft4 .
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 user here too, seems to be a very popular model lol.

So easy to set up and use, just make sure you rinse the strap after each use and stick it in the washing machine after every 5 uses OP, otherwise salt from your sweat will solidify on the sensors and could stop it working.

The Polar FT4 does not have to be sent back to the manufacturers for battery changes either, I recently had to change mine in the watch and on the strap computer as they were about to run out, but they had lasted 16 months.
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I use it for getting calorie burn counts for cardio and trust those numbers far more than the MFP estimates.

I have a Polar FT4 also but that is completely not the point of my post. I just want to say I love your dog in your picture.
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use Reebok womens HRM. I didn't like polar for some reason. It was uncomfy.
    I love my reebok
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone get one that will work with your phone. That will open you up to tons of application options instead of just a monitor. I have a Wahoo Blue that works great with my iPhone. I use the apps to collect data and motivate me.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 and love it. I am able to see how many calories I actually burn in workouts and able to keep track of how high my heart rate is. On the polarpersonaltrainer web site, It separates my workout into fat burning and fit, and lets me know on graphs whether I am over training, under training, or if I am doing what is right for me right now.
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    another Polar HRM user here. I have the bluetooth one and use the iphone app Digifit which syncs with myfitnesspal
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. I got it so that I can get an accurate measurement of calories burned and heart rate during exercise.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    FT7 here, I got it because I wanted to get an accurate assessment, however since I have started using it I really like the constant feedback and reinforcement. I can look and see how much faster than normal my heart rate is beating. I can look at the calories and realize how much food I have just burned off and use that as inspiration to work harder. I can see when I am slacking, or if I am working hard enough.

All in all it has become a mandatory part of my workouts now and I love it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Choosing the right one depends largely on what you want it to do for you.

I'm primarily a runner and wannabe triathlete so I've gone with a Garmin Forerunner for the built in GPS as it keeps my distances honest, tracks my pace, elevation changes, hear rate etc etc. You can get much of the same functionality with some of the smart phone apps and HRM but it's my understanding that the GPS receivers in most smartphones aren't as accurate as the Garmin units.

If your plans are to hit the treadmill or other cardio machines in the gym a more basic HRM like a polar FT4 or FT7 is a more affordable option that will give you the ability to monitor your heart rate (watching it go down over time is a great way to track fitness improvements) and estimate calories burned.