Ladies working out on your lunch break?

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Any tips for getting in a quick workout on your lunch hour? I'm thinking of joining the Lifestyle Family Fitness gym that is right up the road from my work. I need to do this *under* one hour. It will take me about 5 minutes to get there and inside the building. By the time I change into workout clothes and get started it will be 15 minutes into my break. 30 minute workout, I'm 45 minutes into my break. That leaves me less than 15 minutes to cool down, change back into work clothes, fix my hair, makeup, etc, and drive back to work. I can see this running over one hour, and then I have to get back to work and eat my lunch. I don't want anyone around here thinking I'm skipping out on my hours at work, but I really want to do this and enjoy it rather than it being a big stressor. Everyone at my work already thinks I'm a weirdo for the things I eat and work out. I REALLY need to go this while drawing as little attention to myself as possible. So, how can I get a half hour workout in while driving to the gym and having to make myself presentable for the rest of my workday afterwards?

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I go for quick walks during my lunch break! Well, I walk down to Darque tan, tan, then walk back to work. It isnt much, but it feels good to get my body pumping. I know some ladies in my building who actually run during their lunches. Good luck finding something that works for you!! :)
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I walk around the building a couple of times.. it's easy, no membership fees and convenient to work :)
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    When I was working I would walk on my lunch breaks too. But as for the gym I never tried that so I can see what you're saying. . .maybe you could try it one day on your lunch break before you actually join (just let the staff at the gym know ahead of time so they don't use all your lunch break showing you around). That way you can see exactly how long it is going to take you. And if you really like it but still don't think you're going to have the time, maybe you could cut the workout a little short on work days and then possibly make up for it later at home if you're intent on getting a certain number of minutes in. Or do that, and if you have days off work and can make it to the gym on those days, do the circuit an extra time or two to make up for it. Good luck & great job on looking for a way to fit your workout in!! :smile:
  • sandylouwho
    Options
    I do a quick 30-minute workout at lunch, and you're right, it does end up taking me a full hour when I include the travel time to the gym and changing. But I don't see why that should stop you - it's a great way to spend your lunch hour, and you shouldn't let the opinions of your co-workers influence your choice. I can't believe that they would have less respect for you because you eat healthy and exercise!! Keep it up. And when they see that you look and feel great -- better than they do -- then you might even have some of them join you at the gym!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Well in my office it's not uncommon for us to take a little longer than an hour. It usually takes me an hour and 15 minutes to do what you've detailed. But my boss also does it so I can get a way with it. Fix your hair and makeup on the way back to work or wait until you get back in the office and do that in the bathroom. I often eat lunch at my desk but if they frown on you for that, pack something that can be eaten on your drive.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I try to workout on my lunch hours sometimes. I am under the same time contraints and can only get in 30 minutes as well. I feel rushed when I do it but it is very doable. Either that or I bring my ipod and I get a 45 minute walk in.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I only get a half hour! But if you walk around our buildings parking lot 5 times, its almost 2 miles.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    My building isn't very big to walk around and it's not in an area that I would trust to go walking or jogging down the road by myself... I'm going to go check out the gym today and see how long it will actually take me to drive up there and get in the building. If the dressing rooms are well equipped with lots of space, lockers, mirrors, and seems like I'll be able to primp easily, it should be okay... The guy I talked to yesterday mentioned some sort of express 24 minute routine, I assume circuit training.

How do you all make yourself presentable for work again after you get all sweaty? Maybe I'll get a small hairdryer to dry the sweat, and bring my make up along with me every day?
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband & I go to the gym during lunch. I change into my workout clothes & heat our lunch up before I leave the office. We eat on the way & it usually takes about 10 minutes to get to the gym with the traffic here right now. We get there & either lift weights for 10-15 minutes or get on some equipment such as a treadmill or elliptical & go hard! Since it is such a short time, we go faster to burn more. We get about 30 minutes in & then we have to leave to get back to work in time. My husband changes in the vehicle. I change when I get back to work in the bathroom. I take my travel hair straightener to fix my hair back up & even though I sweat a lot, my makeup usually stays in place. I might have to wipe under my eyes to straighten our my eyeliner, but that's about it. And of course, I keep extra deodorant with me! :blushing:
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you have an office or a cubicle? If you have an office and a computer why not use an exercise DVD? I often do this, just shut and lock my office door, change into workout clothes a pop in a DVD.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Do you have an office or a cubicle? If you have an office and a computer why not use an exercise DVD? I often do this, just shut and lock my office door, change into workout clothes a pop in a DVD.

that would be nice, but no, I'm in an open office space. :happy:
  • earlie
    earlie Posts: 22
    Options
    I change at my office which saves time. I work about 1 minute from the gym driving. Workout for 30 minutes. I also live close to work so I go home shower and then I eat my lunch on the way back to my office or eat at my desk. I think if you can change at your office before you get to gym that will give you a little more time. :flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I change at my office which saves time. I work about 1 minute from the gym driving. Workout for 30 minutes. I also live close to work so I go home shower and then I eat my lunch on the way back to my office or eat at my desk. I think if you can change at your office before you get to gym that will give you a little more time. :flowerforyou:

Wow, that's a nice set up! I might try changing at work, so I won't actually be "signed out" for that time, and I should be able to make it back within an hour... I could eat a snack at 10:30, leave at 11, back at noon, do some work before I eat lunch at 12:30.
  • shoegirl1
    shoegirl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Sandylouwho said - they should support your efforts! I work out at lunch at the office, using a video. Many others going running, walking or to a nearby gym. Most of us do run over one hour a little bit, but coming in a few minutes early or staying a few minutes later should counter any concern about "lost time." I also eat at my desk - trying the six small meals a day plan - and have things in bite size portions so I can easily eat it without any work distractions. I wish you luck - adding lunch exercise has been very successful with weight loss!
  • inguvap
    inguvap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am one of the lucky ones to have a gym on my workplace so I always go to gym in the lunch time. I take 2 Yoga classes (45 minutes) a week. I am also fortunate to have 7 hour work day so I can get to spend extra time in the gym and still get away with it. But even within 30 minutes, you can get a decent workout. HIIT is the way to go in the crunch situations. Give every thing you have for 30 to 40 seconds, go slow for 1 minute and repeat on any of the cardio machines (I like treadmill and elliptical). Or you can do weights with Jumping Rope in between the sets and you should be able to train 2 body parts a day within those 30 minutes.

Padma.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym almost every day during my lunch break. It would take 5 mins to get there, 5 mins to change, I would do cardio or a circuit for 30 mins, 10 mins to shower/change/fix hair and then back at my desk before the hour was up. It is definitely doable...just takes a motivated person and a speedy person. ;) Sometimes if I was getting close to time being up I would fix my makeup at my desk. It is a great way to break up the day and you feel energized and not the usual after lunch slump.
  • robslady
    robslady Posts: 17
    Options
    Motivation is the key. If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it! I say cheat the clock.....make the most of your hour at the gym doing the 30 minute workout, driving and changing within your hour. You the rest of your day to do the makeup hair and eating/snacking. Maybe water and fruit durning the hour and squeeze in 3 quick snacks durning the rest of the day. There's all kinds of varitations to make this possible and FORGET about your co-workers they are weird for thinking your weird!! Good luck...youve actually motivated me to do a lap or two durning lunch.. THANK YOU!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I work out during lunch (I do at least 45 minutes)...I'm about a 2 minute drive to the gym, I change at my office both before and after. I have a small bottle of toner at my desk so I can wipe my face when I get back. I always pull my hair up...helps it not to get sweaty. I only wear eye makeup so I never have to worry about my face looking wonky afterwards. My boss actually likes the fact that I use my lunch hour to work out...the healthier I am the lower the health insurance will cost later on. I eat at my desk after I get back. Hope this helps. How's Lolo?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    i have a 45 min lunch, i either go for a walk/run right from work to get a 40-45 minute workout in. or i drive the 5 minutes to the gym and either hit the treadmill or the eliptical for 30 minutes, or do either for 20 minutes and get 10 minutes of weights/abs in.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I have a 1 hr lunch and only get 28-30 min of a workout in, but it helps keep my energy high and I feel great! No post-lunch slumps or food comas :)

I quickly heat up my lunch and eat afterwards while I'm working.

Also helps keep your metabolism up

Cons: Workers think you're crazy? Mine probably do too.. Whatever. I dont see much of a con besides missing out on possibly socializing. Solution: post stuff here! :-D