So I made homemade almond milk

Options
totalsham
totalsham Posts: 217 Member
In February I gave up drinking coffee... and with that milk. Since that time I have ran into problems when cooking recipes that called for milk. I went to the store and looked at options. There is soy, but that mimics estrogen and is bad for men. Then there is hazelnut, but im not fond of that flavor. Then there is almond milk... but all the store ones tend to pack it full of sugar and crap to fill it and drop their cost while charging me full price.

Looking up the nutritional facts of homemade almond milk... a9b7bfbccc01eba7772815ae4d81be9d_zps25569970.jpg
coupled with the price and quality of store bought milk, I said screw it, im making my own. And today I did just that. Here is how I got it done.

I went on amazon, order 4 pounds of almond ($25.98), a nut bag ($8.18) and a pitcher ($8.48) for soaking and housing the milk. 1a4fc70c0f1e00e49fc0724b1e846274_zps72ada19a.jpg

Friday morning, I took 2 cups of almonds, rinsed them in a strainer. Placed in the pitcher and covered with water as shown here. Which I then allowed for the pitcher to be chilled in the fridge.
20130531_120546_zps6fda9de5.jpg

I allowed this to soak till I was about to go to bed, when I dumped that water and replaced with fresh water, back into fridge it went to soak over night. This morning, I dumped the cloudy water once more and gave fresh water. Back in fridge till noon.

At noon I started to make almond milk.

Here is the alonds in same pitcher. Notice how swole they are.
2013-06-01111409_zpsae9e3601.jpg
drained the water and you can see that the 2 cups of almonds have been working out! soooo swole bruh!

I then placed almonds in the blender. Close up shot
2013-06-01111538-1_zpsdb42270a.jpg
in the blender.. almost 4 cups of swole almonds!!! doubled in size from soaking!

Since I started with 2 cups of raw almonds, I had to add 4 cups of water. Then blending starts... 2 minutes of high, 1 minute of puree and then final minute on high
2013-06-01112432_zpsb67d70c4.jpg
4 minutes later... all blended up!!!

2013-06-01113516_zps4a2ed661.jpg
Then i stained with the nutbag... took 1 cup out to make a shake.... rest back in original pitcher

Tasty fresh, no filler, no addtitives, no garbage, almond milk.

2013-06-01115405_zps2147c9f6.jpg
that 1 cup became a kale, spinach, celery and apple shake

Edit... sucks that you cant post pics???

Replies

• totalsham
    Options
    lol noob who cannot add pics to his story..... =(
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Once you've had homemade almond milk, the boxed stuff tastes like cr*p! I usually use 1 cup almonds to 4 cups water. Also, you can save the almond pulp and use it as almond flour for baking.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Hi! To fix your pics, all you need to do is add "{IMG}" in front of each url and "{/IMG}" after each url (without the quotation marks, and with [ and ] instead of { and })

So it would look like this: {IMG}http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/whatsdafus/2013-06-01113516_zps4a2ed661.jpg{/IMG} (but [ and ] instead. "IMG" must be capitalized.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    PS I can't wait to try this out! :smile: Thanks for sharing!
  • totalsham
    Options

Hi! To fix your pics, all you need to do is add "{IMG}" in front of each url and "{/IMG}" after each url (without the quotation marks, and with [ and ] instead of { and })

So it would look like this: {IMG}http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/whatsdafus/2013-06-01113516_zps4a2ed661.jpg{/IMG} (but [ and ] instead. "IMG" must be capitalized.

im tying.. lol no go
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    Ok woops, try doing lower case "img" in the [ and ]
  • standoug888
    standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    just use the silk almond milk they have unsweetened versions n personally I like it better then the sweetened ones
  • totalsham
    Options
    just use the silk almond milk they have unsweetened versions n personally I like it better then the sweetened ones

there is soy in that... and fillers. no bueno!
  • totalsham
    Options
    Day 2 of almond milk use... highly suggest it! taste so good in shakes and using as milk substitute. home made rocks!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    Fixed your pic issue for you- I just changed all the [I M G] to [i m g] (no spaces). I'm glad the almond milk is working out so well for you! I'll let you know when I try it. I might buy some vanilla beans and scrape some of them in there. Mmm.
    In February I gave up drinking coffee... and with that milk. Since that time I have ran into problems when cooking recipes that called for milk. I went to the store and looked at options. There is soy, but that mimics estrogen and is bad for men. Then there is hazelnut, but im not fond of that flavor. Then there is almond milk... but all the store ones tend to pack it full of sugar and crap to fill it and drop their cost while charging me full price.

Looking up the nutritional facts of homemade almond milk... a9b7bfbccc01eba7772815ae4d81be9d_zps25569970.jpg
    coupled with the price and quality of store bought milk, I said screw it, im making my own. And today I did just that. Here is how I got it done.

I went on amazon, order 4 pounds of almond ($25.98), a nut bag ($8.18) and a pitcher ($8.48) for soaking and housing the milk. 1a4fc70c0f1e00e49fc0724b1e846274_zps72ada19a.jpg

Friday morning, I took 2 cups of almonds, rinsed them in a strainer. Placed in the pitcher and covered with water as shown here. Which I then allowed for the pitcher to be chilled in the fridge.
    20130531_120546_zps6fda9de5.jpg

I allowed this to soak till I was about to go to bed, when I dumped that water and replaced with fresh water, back into fridge it went to soak over night. This morning, I dumped the cloudy water once more and gave fresh water. Back in fridge till noon.

At noon I started to make almond milk.

Here is the alonds in same pitcher. Notice how swole they are.
    2013-06-01111409_zpsae9e3601.jpg
    drained the water and you can see that the 2 cups of almonds have been working out! soooo swole bruh!

I then placed almonds in the blender. Close up shot
    2013-06-01111538-1_zpsdb42270a.jpg
    in the blender.. almost 4 cups of swole almonds!!! doubled in size from soaking!

Since I started with 2 cups of raw almonds, I had to add 4 cups of water. Then blending starts... 2 minutes of high, 1 minute of puree and then final minute on high
    2013-06-01112432_zpsb67d70c4.jpg
    4 minutes later... all blended up!!!

2013-06-01113516_zps4a2ed661.jpg
    Then i stained with the nutbag... took 1 cup out to make a shake.... rest back in original pitcher

Tasty fresh, no filler, no addtitives, no garbage, almond milk.

2013-06-01115405_zps2147c9f6.jpg
    that 1 cup became a kale, spinach, celery and apple shake

• totalsham
    Options
    tyvm sir!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    ahem, it's "madam." or not. that's kind of matronly. either way, i'm a lady. haha. and you're welcome! :tongue:
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    According to books and articles I've read on all things culinary in medieval times the peasants and serfs made almond milk as dairy milk was too scarce and expensive or reserved for the nobility that owned the land. The almonds they could gather for free.
    I am curious to know how much almond milk you got out of the 4 lbs you purchased?
  • totalsham
    Options
    According to books and articles I've read on all things culinary in medieval times the peasants and serfs made almond milk as dairy milk was too scarce and expensive or reserved for the nobility that owned the land. The almonds they could gather for free.
    I am curious to know how much almond milk you got out of the 4 lbs you purchased?

I did the math.. i made ziplock bag potions that held 2 cups of almonds (the amount i want to use per blending) Some use 8 cups of water for 2 cups of almonds, where i used only 4 cups for the 2 cups of almonds. This will lower the yield, but its so tasty this way. your call to decide how much water to use.

anyways.... i have 5 bags in hand (would have been 6, but already used those 2 cups). so a 4 pound bag of almonds will make 240 ounces of almond milk (with my 4/2 ratio) at the cost of 26 bucks. which comes to .11 per ounce
  • totalsham
    Options
    ahem, it's "madam." or not. that's kind of matronly. either way, i'm a lady. haha. and you're welcome! :tongue:

LOL thats what i get for not being a profile surfer! thanks hun! i appreciate the help with the pics. =)
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    very cool, will keep this for later
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i have thought about doing this...especially with the suggestion to use the remaining pulp as almond flour! let me get my hands on a dehydrator, and i'm in!
  • totalsham
    Options
    i have thought about doing this...especially with the suggestion to use the remaining pulp as almond flour! let me get my hands on a dehydrator, and i'm in!

you can spread the left over almond meal on a cookie sheet and bake in over.
  • ehargis09
    ehargis09 Posts: 12
    Options
    WOW, very cool! I love seeing people take their health into their own hands like this!

I tried almond milk. I liked it very much for baking, and I like its taste (I bought it unsweetened from TJ's). However, for me personally it became impractical for actual cooking and whatnot (I know that I could use something else for those instances like coconut milk but I wasn't a fan of doing that either, especially when it's a general recipe that's not thai influenced or something). My husband tried to use it in his soup like he would with milk (since we didn't have milk in the house at the time) and he was not a fan whatsoever. For him, it made the soup inedible. Therefore, it just made sense for us to keep milk around. I love milk and in my quest to cut unnecessary things out of my diet, I cut back on milk pretty drastically. I used to drink two gallons of 2% or whole by myself per week...yikes! Now I can go two weeks with a half gallon of organic 1%. I feel that that is a good compromise for me. :)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

LOL thats what i get for not being a profile surfer! thanks hun! i appreciate the help with the pics. =)

Haha it's fine, no hard feelings!