5:2 diet...first week. 6lb gain...?

Options
Hi,

I know that fad diets are not ideal, but I am wanting to lose weight quickly for a special occasion at the end of the month and my usual calorie counting wasn't seeing the speedy weightloss I was craving (1-2lb a week, on 1200 allowance)

I have heard a lot of good feedback about the 5:2 diet, and a few people I know (including my mother!) are doing it, successfully. So, I decided to give it a try!

As I have felt so restricted when calorie counting, it really appealed to me that 5 days a week you could apparently eat pretty much what you want..

So yesterday, I had a KFC and today I had fish and chips at the seaside. My normal days have averaged around 2000cals a day.

I started this on Wednesday night (ate nothing after about 6pm) and my first fast day was Thursday where I ate around 490 cals. My next fast day was planned for tomorrow...

However, I had a sneaky weigh in on the scales and appear to be 6lb heavier than I was on Wednesday evening!!

Could anyone please advise on how to do this diet successfully? I know KFC and fish and chips may stall dieting but really did not expect a 6lb gain...

Does our weights change throughout the week this dramatically? Should I ignore the advice to have treats/feasts on normal days and restrict as normal?

I am not expecting miracles, and I know I am being rather impatient! I just don't want to continue on a diet if its putting weight on.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my confused plea :)

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Some of the weight may be water due to the high sodium in KFC and Fish and Chips.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    KFC is very sodium heavy. I'd advice drinking more water and avoiding the scale especially after a couple high salt days. The 5:2 I can't speak to though.
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    Thank you :)

I have drank no extra water on these bad days, in fact I've drank very little water!

My system will need a good flushing with water now, and I think the horror of a 6lb gain has put me off fast food for life.

After calorie counting, I really fancied some bad food. Lesson learned...x
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Two things: I know my weight can fluctuate by about 5 pounds from one day to the next. The 6 pounds may or may not be a fluke (probably water weight or lack of adequate BM). However, sometimes on these sort of diets we go overboard and rationalize that since you are going to do your fasting days you do not need to be as careful on the non-fasting days, and you end up overeating and it just doesn't balance out. The thing is, its not about what you eat/burn that one day, its about what you eat/burn over a period of time. Yes, you can cut those 3500 calories/week by dividing it over 3 days of caloric restriction/extra calorie burn, or over 7 days @ 500 calories a day. But if you are doing a 2 or 3 thing day, make sure you aren't sneaking those calories back in on the other days.

Honestly, though, I don't see how you can really get the results only cutting back 2 days a week unless your BMR is really high.
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Could it maybe be your body reacting to the different calorie intakes you are having, like going from 1200 cals a day originally up to 2000 and then down to 490, etc? That was my first thought at reading your post. I would wait until you have been doing the 5:2 diet for at least 2 weeks before you weigh yourself to get an accurate result. By that time, your body will have settled into a routine and you will know if it is working for you or not.
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi labyrinth. I've been following 5:2 since the new year and so far have lost 21 pounds which i'm very pleased with! I've been averaging a 2lb loss every week when I've stuck to fasting two days a week. First off, did you do your sneaky weigh in in the evening? If you weigh in the morning first thing (after you've been to the loo and before you've eaten/drank anything, with little to nothing on) you will have the most realistic measure of your weight, as weighing in the evening can have anything up to a 5lb gain!

Also, it sounds like your metabolism might have slowed down since you've been on a 1200 calorie a day diet so it can't handle processing 2000 calories a day - very similar to mine! I usually eat 1200-1300 calories a day but two days a week I will only eat 500 calories (fast days) my fast day will last from dinner the night before (say dinner on monday) until breakfast the day after (breakfast on wednesday) so it's more like a 36 hour fast where I will only eat 500 calories. I know this can seem like a very restricted amount of calories to some people (and I am sure I will get slated for it) but it works for me and I still have enough energy to cycle to work everyday and walk the dog. I find if I try to eat fast foods or processed foods I get the worst tummy aches and thats when I start seeing weight gain.

I'm not advising you follow the same diet as me, but if you wanted to carry on the 5:2 diet you would have better success at losing weight by eating healthier foods (especially cooked from scratch) so you know which ingredients are going into it and you'll feel fuller by eating fruits and vegs while not having as many calories.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eating out, fast food especially, is a very easy way to retain water weight due to the high amounts of sodium in the food. I tried that but started with one fast day per week to see how I would do. It didn't work particularly well for me. I can barely think if I only eat 500 calories in a day, much less workout. I can create a large deficit through exercise and be much happier and productive than trying to severely restrict calories one or two days per week.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 diet won't make you lose weight any faster than the 1,200 a day diet. It's just a different way of restricting calories, one that some people find much easier than eating low calories every day. It also doesn't give you a license to eat fried junk and cookies the other 5 days, which I think is where many people go wrong. You probably ate more than you think on your eating days (though not enough to gain 6 lbs, that would be 21,000 extra calories), and a whole lot of sodium which is making you retain water.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5:2 for 9 weeks now and calorie intake on feast days has varied between 1300 and 1700 generally. I have found that my weight changes a lot throughout the week but personally I haven't seen any more than 3lbs weight loss in total since starting this way of eating, although I was counting cals for 3 months beforehand anyway and the overall cal restriction over the week is about the same ( I struggled to lose weight before too).

I may not continue with this way of eating except as a way to allow myself more food for 5 days a week but I've decided to eat a little less on feast days now and to be healthier generally. I've also started eating low carb 4-5 days a week 40-75 grams max and cut down my weekly calorie burn through exercise from 3500 cals burned per week to 2300 and the scale is finally moving again.
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your advice. It all makes so much sense :)

I was very silly to dive into a KFC on a non-fast day, and I will not be doing that again.

I am going to be really strict with myself, and if I feel like fast food make my own with Quorn and my own ingredients.

My fast day was also around 36 hours I think. I last ate on Wednesday night as around 6pm, had 490 cals on Thursday and didn't have anything else until around 10am on Friday.

I need to drink so much more water too. I am really bad when it comes to water as I never actually feel thirsty- but I will force myself to drink more.

I will take advice on not weighing too often, especially so early into a new diet plan. I just felt alot slimmer so expected a result...

I have been doing more powerwalks (2x25mins a day) but this isn't enough to justify KFC or other bad foods.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to offer advice. It is really appreciated :)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've done adf and 5:2 and these plans do not follow a linear pattern on the scale. Instead you'll see a series of 'whooshes' and 'bounces', that have an overall downward trend. Instead of weighing daily or weekly, weigh yourself after your first fasting day of the month, and then again after your last fasting day of the month. That will give you a more accurate picture of your weight loss :)
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    JAT74, I was aiming for low carb when I was calorie counting, and was doing well! I suppose the overload of carbs these past 2 days really haven't helped at all. My body has probably gone into carb overdose haha.

The alleged health advantages of the 5:2 really appealed also, I need to give it a go and take it abit more seriously I think
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    momzeee, that sounds a better way of weighing definitely. I am rather silly jumping on the scales 4 days into a diet, after 2 days of fast food, very little water intake and expecting to see anything other than a gain!!

I do feel slimmer in myself, maybe I should let my clothes show me the results :)
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you only started on Wednesday then you really need to give it more time. Weight can change dramatically from morning to evening but I am confident if you stick with it the trend will be downward. I have been doing this for a few months now and the worst that has happened when I pig out on feed days (for me that involves large veggie pizzas or creamy curry and/or a silly amount of vodka) is that I maintain weight instead of losing. I am not recommending that you eat or drink a lot of crap all the time on feed days but you definitely can have treat days without worrying about putting on weight if you don't go nuts and have them all the time. One of the best things about the 5:2 way of eating is that you don't have to be a saint all the time.:smile:
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    I've done adf and 5:2 and these plans do not follow a linear pattern on the scale. Instead you'll see a series of 'whooshes' and 'bounces', that have an overall downward trend. Instead of weighing daily or weekly, weigh yourself after your first fasting day of the month, and then again after your last fasting day of the month. That will give you a more accurate picture of your weight loss :)

Agree with all of this. :drinker:
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    I will give it more time, thank you TeresaB1979 :)

It has made me feel much better hearing how you and other MFPs have had successful results on 5:2, and hearing that the worst you have experienced is maintaining weight is fabulous!!

I want to thank everyone who has commented for really good advice, and also for not making me feel stupid. I was quite worried about posting as I have seen some threads met with negative comments but you have all been really helpful and encouraging
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    No worries. Try to enjoy it. I hate dieting. Having to feel guilty about a nice meal or drinks with friends does my head in. 5:2 gets rid of all that. Two days of being really strict and five whole days of being able to eat well is a hell of a lot more manageable (for me anyway and a lot of other people I have come across on-line). Hopefully you will find it rewarding. Apart from weight-loss I like the fact I feel more energetic.

If you want to learn more check out the documentary 'Eat, fast and live longer' on dailymotion. I got into this 5:2 lark after watching that. It's really interesting viewing.

Goodnight.:smile:
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options

This kind of doesn't make sense, If you are weighing yourself at the beginning and the end of the month then your weigh ins could potentially be only a few days away from each other. Why? Why not space it out at equal intervals and on different days? Say every two weeks alternating weigh ins on Lo-cal days and on Any-cal days. You can also make a notation next to the weigh to record if it was a lo-cal day or a any-cal day.
  • singhstyle
    singhstyle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    keeping going ! it does work but be aware of the ups and downs ! just set a regualr time in the morning to weigh.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to a 5:2 group where you may find the answers and support you need.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

I've been on 5:2 since March, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables but have the occasional takeaway etc, my diary is open if you want to see what I eat. It is not a quick fix diet, the average loss is a pound a week. I eat around my TDEE on my non fast days, sometimes above, sometimes below.

Good Luck!