Husbandless exercising?

Options
My husband recently hurt his knee, so he's probably going to be out of the exercise game for 2+ months. He's my workout partner and we just started playing tennis again, so it sucks! Tennis is how I lost all my weight last year. I've gained 15 lbs, so I'm already down about it and this is a major blow to my chances of losing that again. Any suggestions on what to do on my own? I should mention I'm not into intense things like Crossfit.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Will you do at home DVDs? I really love brazil butt lift, it's not super intense but a heck of a workout. I've had super muscle building results. Kettlebell is also great. Biking is an idea too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I don't play tennis, no hand-eye coordination here! And, my husband never works out. All of my workouts are all about me! Find something else that you like to do or find a friend that like to play tennis. I like workout dvds, you can do them right when you get up in the morning to start the day. Take brisk walks and enjoy the outdoors. Lift things up and put them down. Lol. Whatever:) Just keep moving!
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't play tennis, no hand-eye coordination here! And, my husband never works out. All of my workouts are all about me! Find something else that you like to do or find a friend that like to play tennis. I like workout dvds, you can do them right when you get up in the morning to start the day. Take brisk walks and enjoy the outdoors. Lift things up and put them down. Lol. Whatever:) Just keep moving!

^^^this, if I depended on my hubby to workout I would never workout..I go to the gym and lift weights, treadmill work or whatever else I feel like that day.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Why don't you find a new tennis partner. Look at something like meetup or even Craigslist if you don't know anyone else who plays. Also, you can play racquetball without a partner.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Go to the Atlanta Craigslist.
    Under community, click on activities.
    In the 'search for' box, type in tennis.
    See if there's anyone looking for a tennis partner.
    If not, post an ad.
    Also, see if the tennis pros know anyone looking for a practice partner.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I play racquetball and swim. It's easy to play and there is always someone looking for a new partner. Or play tennis against a wall on your own.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Those are all good suggestions! I personally love Zumba, If you enjoy dancing you should give it a try.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i dunno, like every activity under the sun, moon or stars? i've never had a husband but i've managed to find things i enjoy.

i never understand these threads. am i supposed to tell you what you like to do?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    i dunno, like every activity under the sun, moon or stars? i've never had a husband but i've managed to find things i enjoy.

i never understand these threads. am i supposed to tell you what you like to do?

Yep, what he said. I like running but my husband doesn't. It's actually my thing and like doing it alone :D
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    oh no! I just realized I can't lose weight because I don't have a husband to exercise with!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Could you join a tennis club, perhaps at your local rec center? Or even take a class?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    swing-forehand-shot-800x800.jpg

you might even find the conversation more stimulating.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take a break until your husband can exercise again, thus showing your full support for him in times like these when he needs it most.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't work out, so I do all of my exercise alone. I run, go to group fitness classes, lift weights, do DVD exercises, ride bike. If you have some sort of tennis club in town, you could look for another partner if tennis is your main form of exercise.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    oh no! I just realized I can't lose weight because I don't have a husband to exercise with!

I would marry you but it's not legal. Maybe get an exercise dog?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I actually feel like I do better when I'm not trying to exercise with my husband. His work schedule is crazy so when I was trying to wait for him to go to the gym we ended up missing a lot of workouts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure your husband is sabotaging you
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

LOL, this is what I was thinking.
    OP- don't let his injury be your excuse....
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    find something you love doing, and do it! I love running...my husband does not! I kinda like that he doesn't like to run because it ensures that I get "alone" time everyday :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to play raquetball with hubby quite often, but also had some injuries. I'm really a solo exerciser though, the r-ball was just a nice active date alternative. I play tennis (not great, but ...) I wonder if there is another gal in your area if you could just connect (I did ask around for my neighbors, had a couple possibilities but haven't actually done it yet). You probaby aren't alone in wanting to play but needing a partner.

I go visit the folks and play with my dad sometimes. Yes, he's 70 and he can beat me. My boys are competitive enough with me in TABLE tennis, but pretty pitiful on a real court :)