calories burned

I know the best way to check calories burned is with a real HRM but I don't have one. And this morning I helped a relative move and it took about 2 hours. and I figure about 1.5 hours of moving stuff and 0.5 of an hour driving. when I punched that into the exercise chart it says i burned about more then 700 calories doing this, do you think this is right? It seems a little high to me so I only punched in that I did it for 30 minutes to add to my daily totals but burning over 700 calories moving stuff seemed a bit extreme? can i get your opinions and thoughts?

Replies

• tuna33
    tuna33 Posts: 12
    I know the best way to check calories burned is with a real HRM but I don't have one. And this morning I helped a relative move and it took about 2 hours. and I figure about 1.5 hours of moving stuff and 0.5 of an hour driving. when I punched that into the exercise chart it says i burned about more then 700 calories doing this, do you think this is right? It seems a little high to me so I only punched in that I did it for 30 minutes to add to my daily totals but burning over 700 calories moving stuff seemed a bit extreme? can i get your opinions and thoughts?
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    The calorie counter is set so it counts as if you were doing the activity continuously... bend, lift, bend, lift, bend lift, bend lift, etc. and if you did that for 120 minutes straight, imagine the workout you'd get! You'd be breathing heavy, using all sorts of muscles... but in reality, when we're moving (and trust me, I just moved a week ago!) we lift something, walk it over to it's destination, casually walk back, stand around and decide what next to move, chat with our friends, etc. It's not really constant moving at a "workout" pace.

I would count 1/2 to 1/3 of the time... depending on how much I chatted, stopped for water, etc.
  • tuna33
    tuna33 Posts: 12
    Ah true enough, thanks for the reply. I tihnk I did the right thing by only putting down half an hour of moving, it's probably about the real amount of a "workout" I got but I have to say, I was impressed with how much we moved so quickly haha. thanks again.