Too old for Insanity?

Options
Hello,
I am on this site since May 2012 and I am glad about it.
It is such a wonderful support and it gives a great motivation.
I am on my way to lose weight since January, I started exercising and eating less.
Since I am here I have the feeling they way of losing weight is best organized now.
I lost about 50 lbs so far.
And now it is the time to think about losing the last 10 pounds.
At the same time I want to get in better shape...
I read a lot about Insanity... thought about ordering it.
My 20year old son says... DO IT! And he wants to do it with me. In his level of course... he will do 40 push ups when I do only two. ;)
I talked to my sisters about it and they say... WHAT? You are crazy! You are too old for that! You will ruin your joints!
I am 49 years old...
Anyone here who did Insanity at my age?
Please tell me a successful story. ;)

Replies

• trgodin
    trgodin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and doing it...
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Lundil,
    Just want to say this right off the bat: I'm only 25. However, I didn't feel like I was ready for Insanity, so I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred first (although 30 DS has it's intense moments too). 30DS helped me shed a few pounds and build some strength and endurance, which made me feel more confident starting Insanity. The great thing about the 30DS and Insanity is that you can make them as easy or hard as you need to, keeping in mind that the goal of both programs is to show IMPROVEMENT and feel good about yourself rather than being able to do a million pushups.

I just completed my first two weeks of Insanity and already I can do more than when I started. When you do start Insanity, wear good shoes, follow the instructor's safety tips, drink lots of water, take breaks when you need them, and have fun! It is a great workout!
  • djhannah02
    Options
    My mom is doing it an she's 44. She loves it and is looking great! She even does it a heck of alot better than I do and I'm 23. I say go for it!! Have fun and good luck!
  • claporte69
    Options
    You're 49 not 89...Insanity is a hard workout and more depends on your fitness level then your age. There are people I work with in their 50s who do it regularly. You're only as young as you feel...age is just a number.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    I turn 49 this December. No, you aren't too old.
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I finished it and am mixing it in with my other workouts now. I'm almost 40. I had no problems with it. There is a woman over 40 in the dvds.

its more about fitness than age. it will kick your butt. you may (most likely) not be able keep up with the people on the videos, its okay. they take breaks too!

if you get it thru beach body, you have 30 days to return it (or so i hear).
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is hard. But do it at your own pace. Shaun T may do 50 Mummy Kicks and you'll do 20 (at first!!). The main thing is to do the exercises correctly, focus on soft landings and know your own limits. The exercises will remind you of your limits. Take short breaks and go back. You'll get plenty out of it and probably have a blast sweating mixed with some laughing at yourself. But laughing at yourself will turn not congratulating yourself before its over it.

You go get it girl!
  • giannina67
    Options
    I am 67 Years old and I am doing 3 sets of 10 every day, also on the thread mill i walk at 4 miles ph . My suggestion is start slow and increase as you go .
  • usmcjarhead3
    usmcjarhead3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 46, a fomer Marine, (both in and out of combat), I am a hockey coach for 10 years now and slowly let my body get out of shape. A year ago I was 212, I am hovering around 188 right now. I look in the mirror and I want that MArine Corps body back.

I started P90x with my sister and that was kicking my butt. I haad already order Insanity, but it sat on my TV for about 2 months. After a few weeks of P 90X with my sister, I decided to break off and start insanity. The first thing you do is the fitness test. As a former Marine, I was not happy at all with my results. I have been doing it consistently now for about a month.

There were days I could only make it half way through the video, I was begging for 25 minutes to come so at least I could say ok I did 20 minutes. Even after a month, I am not finishing some of the stuff they are doing I am finding something else to do to keep moving. I am seeing the changes. My chest is starting to pop, there is some abs ever so slightly starting to peek out, the Buddah belly is shrinking, etc.

Shaun T. really stresses "Form" , "Know your limits" and "Go at your own pace", heck on some of the videos you still see people in his class falling out. Most of the videos ar 45-60 minutes long and repeat a lot of the same circuit or intervals so even if you are only able to make it halfway, that is a start. DOn't FORGET TO STRETCH! If an exercise becomes to hard for you, he is always saying take a break, or find a way to modify the exercise into something a little easier.

All the research I could find on the calorie burns generally say that P 90X burns about 450-700 calories per session and Insanity burns from 600-1000 per average session. I don't know how accurate that is becasue it is based on body wieght, intensity, etc, but it is a good burn. Start slow, do what you can, and you will get there. I hope this helped. Best of luck!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am 67 Years old and I am doing 3 sets of 10 every day, also on the thread mill i walk at 4 miles ph . My suggestion is start slow and increase as you go .

Wow! I am beyond impressed!
  • racing5j
    racing5j Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and my friend is now 60. We did 2 rounds of P90x, then insanity 2 rounds, then asylum 2 rounds and now were doing mixed schedule high hybrids. Do what you can its about moving not setting records. If you have someone to do it with good for you. Do it just build up slowly.