30 Day Shred

Options
So I did a 30 shred yesterday. I had the problem of getting cramps in my calves after 3 minutes (the day before I went on a long car ride so my legs were stiff). Now, the front of my thighs are killing me. I feel like I'm hobbling a lot. Should I still do a workout today? I really want to, but I'm still wanting to get my legs feeling a little better before I do that. Also did anyone else have problems with their knees and ankles? I hadn't exercised for 2 days before doing to workout so I was confused with that.

Also I bought it because of all the comments on this site! I read a lot of people get sore after the first day. Dx

Thank you very much!
Hailey

Replies

• nitole111
    nitole111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin my life like that! I just did day one like 5 minutes ago. D: NOO I can't be sore tomorrow I have to work!
  • viking_chick
    viking_chick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin my life like that! I just did day one like 5 minutes ago. D: NOO I can't be sore tomorrow I have to work!

Maybe try eating a banana and drinking a lot of water. I didn't drink a lot of water yesterday. And congrats on doing day one!!! :D
  • nitole111
    nitole111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Maybe try eating a banana and drinking a lot of water. I didn't drink a lot of water yesterday. And congrats on doing day one!!! :D
    I will certainly try those! I do hate that she doesn't give you time to drink water. I was drinking some while doing the butt kicks. That was hard haha. And congrats to you too!! :D
  • viking_chick
    Options
    Ahhh yeah that part did stink. Though I'm pretty sure she had people test it out. Every time I wanted to slow down she would say keep going. haha
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    do you stretch at all? your legs should not be hurting from a long car ride
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred back in March, then did Ripped in 30. I was super excited with the inches I lost, but it can be really hard on the knees. Here's my advice:

-Buy an extra thick yoga mat, and double it with the one you are using. I used a thin one throughout both programs, and I think that's one of the reasons my knee gave out on the last day of Ripped in 30. Coming in and out of plank pose, I'd put my knees down a lot, or do modified pushups, and it took its toll. Also, I recommend doing 'rock stars' and other high impact moves on the mat, so you aren't landing on a hard surface. After letting my knee recover, I'm back at it, and have had no problems since using a thicker mat. I also use K tape, which really works to support the knees.

-Make sure your form is correct on squats, lunges, etc. Be mindful that your knee should never be over the toe.

-In addition to the cool-down, use a muscle roller massage stick. It will definitely help with sore calf and quad muscles.

Good luck!
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I always stretch my legs way more than the cool down of Jillian's workouts. It just doesn't provide enough stretching for me. I think stretching before you start the warm up might also be a good idea. My thighs were super sore for several days after starting level 1, like they had never even walked before. A lot of muscles waking up!
  • viking_chick
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred back in March, then did Ripped in 30. I was super excited with the inches I lost, but it can be really hard on the knees. Here's my advice:

-Buy an extra thick yoga mat, and double it with the one you are using. I used a thin one throughout both programs, and I think that's one of the reasons my knee gave out on the last day of Ripped in 30. Coming in and out of plank pose, I'd put my knees down a lot, or do modified pushups, and it took its toll. Also, I recommend doing 'rock stars' and other high impact moves on the mat, so you aren't landing on a hard surface. After letting my knee recover, I'm back at it, and have had no problems since using a thicker mat. I also use K tape, which really works to support the knees.

-Make sure your form is correct on squats, lunges, etc. Be mindful that your knee should never be over the toe.

-In addition to the cool-down, use a muscle roller massage stick. It will definitely help with sore calf and quad muscles.

Good luck!

I was just using the carpeting but I will try to get the fitness mat! I will have to find K tape. I think it's mainly because I thought I was working out good enough and then seeing that what I had been doing wasn't good enough. I just did a workout about an hour ago and I feel much better after this one! haha So far of course. I will also have to find a muscle roller. :D

Thanks!
  • viking_chick
    Options
    do you stretch at all? your legs should not be hurting from a long car ride

No I haven't did too much stretching. Lately I've just been going on 2-3 mile walks with my mother. I rode the stationary bike slowly after the workout since my legs were hurting a little. They seem like they will be stiff again but at least not as bad as yesterday! I might get the Yoga dvd out and try doing that after workouts. :D
  • viking_chick
    Options
    I always stretch my legs way more than the cool down of Jillian's workouts. It just doesn't provide enough stretching for me. I think stretching before you start the warm up might also be a good idea. My thighs were super sore for several days after starting level 1, like they had never even walked before. A lot of muscles waking up!

Yeah the cool down seems really short. I will have to look on pinterest or just online to see if there are some good stretches! :D Oh yeah my thighs are doing the same!