Eating So Little...Are you used to it now?

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
One of my MFP sisters made a comment in my food diary for yesterday. She was concern that I only eat 1,000 calories per day. I had to explain (as I quite often must do on MFP) that I am not like other MFP folks. My age (68 years) and my current confinement to a wheelchair most of the day with only an occasional use with a walker means that I don't require 1,200 or more calories each day.

Both my doctor and nutritionist agreed that I am 'NOT in a starvation mode'...that my laboratory results are great...and 1,000 calories per day is the RIGHT AMOUNT of calories for me to lose weight and still be healthy. Of course, younger and more active individuals would be expected to eat more than me. That makes sense for them.

That's when another MFP sister added. "I was curious too about the 1000 calories but didn't realise you are in a wheelchair almost all the time so that explains it."

I was glad that she understood; but then, my friend asked an interesting question. "How are you finding it eating so little, or are you just used to it by now? You seem on a roll with your weight loss."

A whole lot of folks (both in MFP and in my life) can't conceive of eating only 1,000 calories per day. They believe that I must be feeling faint or craving food all day...or just got numb to the idea of food. In their minds, 1,000 calorie is a MEAL...not a whole day's worth of food.

Sure, I could eat 1,000...2,000...or even 3,000 calories in one meal..like this old girl would have done in the past. I could feast on fried food, sodas, candy bars and pints of Ben & Jerry's with the best of them. I know. I did it every day and every night. That's how I got to be 280+ pounds.

Here's the thing...If you look at my daily food dairy, it is pretty simple. Except for Sunday, I eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner and evening snacks. Sunday, I skip breakfast to allow for my hubbie and I to go out for lunch after church, if he feels like it. Yeah, I am eating throughout the day...smaller amounts of food that are NOT deep fried or pure sugar. I brought fruit back into my life. I am eating raw veggies without dipping them into something that is full of fat and calories.

I had to make some hard choices. What was I willing to change...to sacrifice for a smaller, healthier me? How much would I give up to get new knees and be able to walk again without pain? Was I willing to make those sacrifices in exchange for 'the rest of my life'?

That's right, my friend. "I am on a roll." This isn't something that I am picking up today and putting down tomorrow. I cannot comprehend the idea of dieting today, just so I can binge tomorrow. What is the point?

Are there days, when I feel like to eating more...get a bit 'peckish'...have a sudden craving for something obscenely fattening?

Yes. That's when I remember my commitment to my food plan and my future. If I don't have a meal or snack planned at the time, I drink hot tea and reminding myself just how hard it would be to undo the damage caused by a binge today.

I know that I don't want to have to keep losing the same pounds over and over again, just because a pint of Ben & Jerry's was more important that losing this burden of weight. I have to make the right choice, when the 'easy choice' would do pounds and pounds of damage. That's called 'putting on your big girl panties', and I don't mean those size 12's that don't fit anymore. I am talking about 'growing up', 'getting serious' and making 'an adult choices'...not hosting a pity party online, after you have binged on your favorite junk food.

Please don't expect sympathy from me, if you can't lose weight, because you're on a diet Monday through Friday...then porking out on the weekend. That's like the alcoholic who only gets drunk on weekends, but does untold damage to his life, during those 2 days of indulgence each week.

This is no joke for me. This is a serious, life choice. If I don't lose the weight, I don't get new knees; and I will spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. It's as simple as that.

Do I look forward to quiting my food plan, once I have my new knees? No, I intend to keep losing and enjoy the rest of my life as a slimmer, healthier, old lady.

Ben & Jerry's can kiss my shrinking backside!!!

Replies

• Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Amazing post! Thanks for sharing.

And yes, you do get used to it. Or, at least I do. It's amazing how much less food it takes to satisfy me if I actually eat nutritious things, mindfully... rather than gorging on junk at lightning speed.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with those new knees!!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Great post. It is important to know your own body and be able to stand up for what is right for yourself!
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely amazing! I love your attitude! I look forward to seeing pictures of you with your new knees, standing up! :) Thanks for being such an inspiration!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with those new knees!!

I have accepted a lot of new MFP friends lately. So many of them of youngsters, and it scares me that they are so heavy at such a young age.

In my teens, I had no idea that I was setting up a pattern of eating for my life. In my 20's, I tried all kinds of outrageous diets. I did Adkins, Mayo Clinic, Weight Watchers, OA and a few really stupid diets of my own...like radishes, watermelon and diet soda for a year and a half. Yep. That's all I ate. It is a wonder that I survived my youth. Between the food and too many men, I made every wrong choice possible.

My 30's, 40's and 50's were just growing times. My body just got bigger, while my health got worse and worse. Everything related to food and my weight. I missed out on so many wonderful things, because I just would not give up my food addictions.

My darling Ed got used to buying out the entire supply of Cherries Garcia, every time he went to the store. He knew that I was happiest with candy bars and ice cream, instead of a bouquet roses. That's sick, and that was me!

It took being in wheelchair for the past 2 years to make me finally wake up and be willing to really change my life and my attitude toward food. The first choice that I made was to stop supporting the Coca Cola Company. My housekeeper lost out of the huge supply of alluminum cans for recycle money, but I needed to get serious.

It took me about a month of calorie counting, before it finally dawned on me that my goal wasn't 70 pounds and NEW KNEES. My goal was a NEW LIFE, and it won't be found at the Onederland marker. It is somewhere farther down the line. I might find it, while ride my grannie tricycle some day or walking on a beach with my hubbie; but I will find it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    You are awesome.

Many thanks for sharing your story.

I was on a wheelchair for 5 months after a car accident. I got 23 additional pounds. It took me 15 months to get rid of them.

I wish you a complete recovery. Good luck in your healthy journey.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I eat low cal and I'm super active. I hope you don't get any haters on this post. Congrats on your weight loss you are doing fantastic!
  • dar9757
    dar9757 Posts: 28
    Options
    Very inspirational, thanks for sharing.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    you are an inspiration.

I have found through much trial and error I cannot lose weight on 1500, 1400 or 1300 calories despite a very active job and lifestyle. I can not eat back work-out calories, so I don't even bother to log the work-outs anymore.

For me to lose weight, I must have no more than 1200 calories daily. And given that there is probably inaccuracies in the logging that must be taken into account I try really hard to not go over 1100-1250 on any given day.

I spent 6 months, 3 trying the IPOARM only to gain 7 pounds, and have spent the better part of 3 more re-losing those and have finally busted through to 52 pounds lost, only 12 from my ultimate goal weight range.

As of today I finally crossed over into a "healthy weight range" I am so excited.

Congrats to you for standing strong. Keep on being an inspiration. Good luck with the knees!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this. I have so many friends who are eating between 500-1000 calories and I get worried about their health, so when I saw you eating 1000 calories, I thought, "oh no. not another one". But I did not think about your age and confinement. I am proud of you, and look forward to the day when you get those new knees
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. While 1200 or fewer calories are not right for many folks, your story explains why it IS right for some. I applaud your determination to get those new knees and live life to the fullest. I've read a post from you before and you are quite inspiring.

But I won't be telling Ben and Jerry to bug off because I like them around once in awhile. :tongue:
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great post, as usual. As an elder member of the site I can completely relate with what you said had happened over the years, losing, gaining, another food plan, etc. I am fortunate that I am still a bit more mobile. My knees are bad but I am trying to do some walking every day. Can't say it is easy , but getting easier all the time. Today" Arthur it is" seems to be paying a call, we have had a bit unsettled weather. I am losing very slowly but although frustrating, probably is better for me. I admire the fact that you plan everything, including snacks ahead and stick to that goal. I am not a snacker so have somewhat bigger meals. Thanks for your inspiring blog.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think your calories intake is perfect for you as you can't do that much exercise. Usually dieticians always gives 1200 cal. to women but they need to add some physical exercise to it. I am also eating like you as I got fat because I love sweet sweet things. So a week ago I finally decided to stop. For me diet is only avoiding eating my fellas! And not eating sugar means that the average calories intake is less 1000 cal without counting my workout, but I am fine with it. Just trying to avoid fat food and eat lots of vegs with meat, chicken or some carbs. I already miss sweety but i know that if I allaw myself to eat one i will eat everything! So better no. This site gives me great motivation and it is was I need as I don't have my husband support.. well he is fit and he eats what he wants and stays the same.
    However i've seen you did very well with your weight loss.... GO BABY!!!
    I LOVE THESE STORIES
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational! God Bless!!!
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    I was in a wheelchair for 3 years and now only have to have one when I have a doctor;s appt, which is quite often because there is no way I could walk that long a distance to their office which is always a very long way from the front door. Hubby pushes me to their office, then I walk back to the exam room with my 2 canes. If I have to walk further than a few feet, I use my walker.

I applaud you in your message, it should be eye opening to everyone in here. I, too, have wondered how in the world have these young people gotten to the weights of 200+ lbs or even higher. If one looks down any street they will see fast food businesses one right after another. Fries, sandwiches, sodas, ice cream, chips, you name it but it is one in the same (JUNK FOOD) and that is how the youth has become so overweight, out of shape. I am not judging by any means. I love food as much as the next person does BUT I know I cannot have it. I am diabetic with other diseases to boot to deal with. My daily intake of cals is 1100 and sometimes lower, sometimes a little highter but average of 1000. I am not active either so that plays a very iimportant roll in losing weight. Do I get hungry, Yes I do but I must have willpower to not put something in my mouth when I feel those hunger pangs.

I had the knee replacement and am still healing from that and it will be a year June 29, 13. Supposed to have the other knee replaced but I will put that off as long as I possibly can because the first one was so hard.to get over. I do not heal like the normal person because of having lived on steroids for so many years just to survive and the fact that I have Vasculitis and also Diabetes.

I enjoyed reading your post very much. I know also that one day soon, this low cal/low carb diet my doctor has me on will become much easier, but right now I stay hungry constantly. (so far have stayed strong and not given in to my cravings).

To the youth in MFP, please pay attention to what you are eating and what you are doing to your body. If you have not had any serious illnesses or complications, then you have been lucky but I would imagine that it is coming. You can run, you can hide, but the damages you do to your body will eventually find you and as you age it will catch up with you and trust me it is no fun. So wake up now, you have the future ahead of you.

I will get off my soap box now.

God bless you all
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    thanks for sharing this. I have so many friends who are eating between 500-1000 calories and I get worried about their health, so when I saw you eating 1000 calories, I thought, "oh no. not another one". But I did not think about your age and confinement. I am proud of you, and look forward to the day when you get those new knees

Any female eating 500 to 1,000 calorie without consulting her doctor first is inviting health problems. My doctor has me taking 3 different vitamins to make sure that I get the nutrients to stay healthy, while on a low calorie food plan. He insisted that I up my protein, after reviewing my initial food plan. He made sure that I had a nutritionist referral, and she looks out for me as well. It will do me no good to lose this weight...only to end up with other medical problems, related to vitamin deficiencies.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, and a good example of why medically supervised low calorie diets are appropriate for some people. Good luck on your goals:)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Any female eating 500 to 1,000 calorie without consulting her doctor first is inviting health problems. My doctor has me taking 3 different vitamins to make sure that I get the nutrients to stay healthy, while on a low calorie food plan. He insisted that I up my protein, after reviewing my initial food plan. He made sure that I had a nutritionist referral, and she looks out for me as well. It will do me no good to lose this weight...only to end up with other medical problems, related to vitamin deficiencies.

That God someone mentionned VITAMINS and VITAMIN DEFICIENCIES on this post! And I LOVE that it was the OP! :happy:

It's SO vitally important that people realize that when they DO have extremely low calorie intakes that they MUST make adjustments to their diet to account for what the body actually NEEDS for survival.

You can't eat salad three meals a day and make it work, people!!! You've GOT to get that protein in there :grumble:
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    is there a BRAVO button on this thing:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :love: Awesome and good for you and good luck with those new knees
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration and the motivation!! YOU GO GIRL!! YOU ROCK!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!