Tips for getting past the plateau?

Options
Hi there! I've been stuck at the same weight now for about three weeks and it's really starting to frustrate me. It seems like no amount of going to the gym of calorie counting is helping that scale move! I know this happens some times, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any successful tips for pushing past that plateau weight?

Replies

• cgullmom
    cgullmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I did read something about weight set-points, which indicated, or what I took from what I read, is that when you lose weight, your body gets to a certain weight and stays there. From what I read, it basically said to be patient and your body will start to lose again. I too get frustrated, but continue to eat healthy and exercise. Even though the scales aren't going down, my body continues to change from exercising. I too would love input on plateaus!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    A number of things have helped me kick start my losing again, just a small list here:

- Mixing up what I eat
    - Mixing up my exercise routine
    - Having cheat days
    - Cycling calories
    - Drinking water until I burst
    - Avoiding the scale

All have worked!
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This probably won't work for everyone but it has worked twice for me - cheat days. Both times it wasn't on purpose, it was due to a holiday.

This past time I went probably 6 weeks without losing any weight and it was getting pretty frustrating. Memorial day rolled around & pretty much all weekend I ate about 600-800 calories more than I usually do. I didn't go crazy, but I could have easily. This is a dangerous road for me to travel! I stressed the whole week about not only still being on the plateau but gaining back some of the weight I'd worked so hard to drop. Guess what, three pounds down 5 days later!

This weekend is the second weekend in a row that I didn't do great (not horrible, but not great). I am a little concerned, but I am not going to let that derail my path.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yep changing up diet and exercise. I just actually broke plateau myself (I hope - I lost 1 pound and then TOM showed up so I'm still at the same weight I was last week) and one of the coaches at the Y told me to up my intervals on the elliptical (or start doing intervals if you're not) or try a different machine/exercise class. But even though the scale was not reflecting weight loss, I could feel it in my clothes. So you're still doing a good thing for your body.
  • flashygirl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll try switching things up and see how that goes. Off ot the gym I go!