Any other pole dance fitness aficionados?

Options
Any other folks who use pole fitness as their primary exercise?

I started doing this last August, and it has become the best fitness focus I've had in a long time. I don't pole for all of my fitness (the classes are expensive and two hours each, so I only do them twice per week), but I tend to select fitness that helps support the strength and flexibility I need for pole. So, power/sculpt hot yoga, barre, and once a week a general overall fitness boot camp. I LOVE having so much core strength and butt/leg tone. I've done a lot of different kinds of fitness in the past... long-distance running, weight lifting, etc, and this is definitely the most fun & satisfying. Not to mention my *kitten* looks incredible. ;)

My most recent triumph was nailing outside leg hang to pike to jasmine on both my weak and strong sides this week in inversions class! :)

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love pole dancing. It is fantastic exercise. I have been so surprised at how much strength it has giving me. I really enjoy it. I do a one hour class once a week as I agree it is expensive and run the rest of the time. My teacher has recently just got a new pole widget where she can attached silks which spin with the pole. I now find myself working different muscles then I ever did when just pole dancing which has made it even more fun. The possibilities are endless...

I really want a pole of my own though!
  • missdoomcookie
    Options
    The silks sound like so much fun! My studio recently added fly gym equipment to practice inversions from the safety of a harness, but I have not tried it yet.

I plan on getting my own pole once I buy a house because there's not room in my current place. Really looking forward to it too.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just started classes 2 weeks ago and it's SO HARD! It's very fun though because the instructor is really sweet and encouraging while we all cling on desperately for dear life sliding down the pole (without intending to) XD I can really feel the work in my arms and core after an hour's class. I hope I'll see improvements as time goes by :D
  • chchng
    chchng Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. The calories are hard to log, though. What do you do to enter it? I can invert on both sides, but not straight-legged. It's fun, but frustrating, since skinnier girls always have an easier go leveling up. However, it's all worth it for the upper arm strength. My biceps actually exist now. Any girls just starting out: don't worry about other people, and pick an instructor who gives you individual time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am so IN this thread.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do!!! love it... Just finished my beginners class and am testing up tomorrow. So excited! I got so much stronger in the 5 weeks while having a ton of fun,
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm someone seems to be missing here? someone very very obvious. wonder why?
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been going to pole fitness once a week for a few weeks. The first class had me with a huge case of T-Rex arms. Second class, my legs were so sore it was ridiculous.

Supposed to be doing a third tomorrow.

I'm planning on once a month until I can afford more than that. I balance it out with 3 gym days (weights/cardio), and 3 yoga/belly dance practice days.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've done that once before & it was so fun!! Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to keep up with but I was surprised at how good of a workout it was! :bigsmile:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Well I do love a good pole..
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I pole dance about three times a week- I freakin' love it. Sadly the membership is WAY too expensive,so I don't know how much longer I can keep it :( I'm actually saving up to purchase my own pole to keep in the bedroom so I don't have to give it up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Never done any classes or anything but my GF's friend is an instructor so has taught us a few things a couple of times. Mobile pole is bloody awesome!

2012-10-07%252015.34.52.jpg

2012-10-14%252016.07.38.jpg
  • swedishrose
    swedishrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been poling for over 3 and 1/2 years and have loved every minute of it! Have you looked into online lessons? I know several girls who take lessons from studio veena because there simply are not any studios close to them or they can't afford studio lessons.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    Never done any classes or anything but my GF's friend is an instructor so has taught us a few things a couple of times. Mobile pole is bloody awesome!

2012-10-07%252015.34.52.jpg

2012-10-14%252016.07.38.jpg

Awesome!!! :happy:

Also, I'm taking pole fitness courses, but I'm still a beginner/intermediate. I'm so bruised up from it right now, but they say the pain will go away if you keep doing it
  • kaubin97
    kaubin97 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love poling!! Been taking classes since September. Santa even brought be a pole for XMas. I take class once a week due to cost like most everyone else; but then play around with it at home on other days. Did my first inverted crucifix last night; and it felt AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to do it again, and hopefully get someone to snag a picture of it :love: