Can or should ABS be worked everyday?

Options
My problem area has always been my midsection. Lately I have been working my ABS on a daily basis and with the help of MFP I have notice pretty good results. Could I be working my ABS too much or am I ok in continuing my daily AB routuine

Replies

• ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing, and what I found when researching it was that it's ok to work your abs everyday, as long as you're not doing intense workouts. If you're doing light ab excercises every night, then that's ok. But if you're doing an extreme workout and are sore the next day, then rest a day. Just like any other muscle group, your abs do need rest. So as long as you're not too sore and not over-doing it, keep right on with your workouts :)
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :huh: i would like to know that to i would like to work tham every day but do mine every other day
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do mine every other day. Ab Ripper X and Pilates and tonight I'm starting the 200 sit-up (crunch) challenge.
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh, P.S: Even after this research, I only do abs every other day. I tend to be very sore after my ab workouts, so I give myself a day in-between to rest :) Do what's right for you.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that Abs are the one major muscle group that you absolutely can work out every day, and she's pretty strict about giving muscles appropriate rest between sessions. I try to mix it up, though. Front one day, sides the next. (Sorry, I can't think of the "real" names right now!) It has given me some very nice results and it helps prevent too-sore muscles.
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can work abs every day but it's totally up to the individual. If you are sore the next day or do the Ab Ripper X, like arielle0489, definitely give yourself another day to recover.

I prefer to do abs and calves with every workout just to keep busy and keep the heartrate up, instead of sitting down on a machine for 5 minutes. The weekends are technically my rest days, but I'll add in a jog or the Ab Ripper X, for what I call "touchup work". The Ab Ripper is freakin intense though. If you're not sore the day after, somethings wrong, lol.
  • fredivk
    fredivk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful tips that you've provided. I really appreciate it. And if you read this post UNOCENTAVO I have to ask "is that a pic of you?" OMG. Now that's what I'm talking about. LOL.

BTW any additional advice/feedback is still greatly appreciated. THANKS.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My apologies to whoever posted this under a different thread but here is a perspective I just saw someone share.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/how_to_get_flat_abs

It was arielle0489 .. thanks Arielle
  • fredivk
    fredivk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sharont213.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    we are all in this together.. :happy: