Burning calories at work...should I count them?

Options
So this past week, I haven't been feeling well towards the end of my work day. I get a headache, and some what dizzy. I have been staying completely on target with every daily goal, perhaps a tiny bit under sometimes (smaller meals and snacks through out the day, LOTS of water). According to the fitness calculator on webmd I burn up to 1,000 calories at my job since it requires quite a bit of activity. I suppose this makes sense because I've never gained weight while working and I could basically eat whatever I wanted (and yes quite frequently that would consist of plates of loaded nachos and burritos)

I thought about perhaps adding a protein shake into my diet when I work to help. Does anyone know if I should be taking my job into consideration for calorie burning? I don't want to eat to few by mistake and end up hurting myself.

Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to up your activity level on MFP.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    what type of job do you have??
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Change your activity level here and don't count them.
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options

I'm a merchandiser! I'm on my feet for 7+ hrs and I lift heavy boxes and all sorts of stuff not to mention a lot of walking, but at a slower pace, I felt like it would be considered lightly active.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I'm a merchandiser! I'm on my feet for 7+ hrs and I lift heavy boxes and all sorts of stuff not to mention a lot of walking, but at a slower pace, I felt like it would be considered lightly active.

Definitely sounds more like your activity level should be set to Active.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are getting headaches and dizziness that go away when you eat something, then you are experiencing low blood sugar and it could be dangerous. This happens to diabetics regularly and could lead to a comatose state for them, but anyone can feel poorly and put their health in danger from undereating. Try to make sure you are getting a healthy snack in a couple of times a day that includes protein. Nuts, yogurt, lowfat cheese, half a sandwich, along with some fruit should keep you going. It doesn't have to be a lot of calories. I usually have a handful of dry roasted peanuts or some almonds when I get that way, about 140 calories. Either log your activities on MFP or adjust your activity level at work.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a high activity job ( grocery business). I put my activity level at moderate and when I go over and beyond my daily Norms I log it. Example would be....I spent 4.5 hours in our cooler stocking beer, milk, soda... I logged it as shoveling snow for 200 mins... I was sweating and sore today so I know I worked it!
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    Do you exercise out of work?
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    Do you exercise out of work?

Yes, I do. Right now nothing too extreme just light jogs here and there but most strength building.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'd probably suggest switching to the next job type activity level. Then eat back your intentional exercise calories.