FIBER

Options
Hello,
I apologize in advance if this has been covered a million times before (I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks now)
Can someone please explain to me how getting a lot of FIBER in each day is a bad thing?:indifferent:
I would say I go over about 10g a day if you averaged it out.
I was always in the mindset more fiber the better, can someone tell me the DOWN SIDE, if there is one of going over on fiber??
THANK YOU!!

Replies

• jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Ive been going over my fiber and I thought that having a lot of fiber in your diet kept you regular but ive not been going as much as I used too...too much info, I know, but ive definately noticed a difference in how much I go #2 when I have too much fiber. I think its a delicate balance, not too much, not too little, but just the perfect amount in order to keep your system flowing.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a downside. As far as I know you are supposed to have 25-30 grams of fibre a day. I adjusted my goals so that it is at 25 grams. I'm interested to hear what the downside of fibre is!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    MFP recommends less fiber than most sites or the FDA. I have mine set to 30mg per day. I still go over some days though, I really need to cut down on the fiber one~ Anyway, I guess if you are not having more BM than you are comfortable with, then you are probably in the OK< at least that is how I have been thinking of it. And its quite filling... the fiber, not the BM~

Oh, and just to add, when I go over my 30, I have terrible gas, and have had to invest in some beano. So I guess gas would be a downside!~
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Unless your passing wicker furniture, you're most likely are eating too much fiber. :laugh:
  • coppertop07
    coppertop07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can actually cause blockage and do the opposite of what fiber is supposed to do! The more fiber you eat, the more water you need to drink to make sure things keep moving along as they're supposed to. This happened to my sister. She was using fiber supplements, and thought she was drinking enough water, but actually wasn't drinking nearly enough for the amount of fiber she was ingesting, and ended up in the ER with extreme lower abdominal pain. She was given laxatives and told to cut back on the fiber and increase her water intake. That being said, most Americans don't get anywhere near enough fiber. You just have to figure out what works best for you!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    passing wicker furniture

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Too much fiber can actually cause blockage and do the opposite of what fiber is supposed to do! The more fiber you eat, the more water you need to drink to make sure things keep moving along as they're supposed to. This happened to my sister. She was using fiber supplements, and thought she was drinking enough water, but actually wasn't drinking nearly enough for the amount of fiber she was ingesting, and ended up in the ER with extreme lower abdominal pain. She was given laxatives and told to cut back on the fiber and increase her water intake. That being said, most Americans don't get anywhere near enough fiber. You just have to figure out what works best for you!

I knew it! I think this is sort of the problem I am having...not to the degree that im having severe pain and needing the ER, but im not near as regular as I used to be so I need to up my water intake even more and just be mindful that im getting enough fiber but not too much fiber!