Sugar free pop (coke/pepsi etc)
Sugar free energy drinks
Coffee with sugar twin

Should I stay away from any of what I mentioned because I NEED my caffeine lol

Replies

• tea
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    I don't know too much about it but I've always heard that artificial sweetners are bad for you, worse than real sugar. I quit drinking everthing except water.it was extremely hard and I was a b@#h for the first two weeks and was suffering from bad headaches as well.Just goes to show you how addicted you can become to those drinks.My energy now comes from excercise and my skin looks amazing from all the water I drink. Maybe use real sugar in some coffee but cut the excess sugar from somewhere else in your diet?
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    tea

Second this. English breakfast w skim milk is nice to wake you up, green tea is very healthy and refreshing too. Also chamomile can help aid sleep. If you like coffee thought,feel free! Just don't add sugar and use low-fat milk. Stay away from energy drinks and soda.
  • neek247
    neek247 Posts: 46
    I don't know too much about it but I've always heard that artificial sweetners are bad for you, worse than real sugar. I quit drinking everthing except water.it was extremely hard and I was a b@#h for the first two weeks and was suffering from bad headaches as well.Just goes to show you how addicted you can become to those drinks.My energy now comes from excercise and my skin looks amazing from all the water I drink. Maybe use real sugar in some coffee but cut the excess sugar from somewhere else in your diet?

I went 1 day with about a massive migraine because i didnt have any caffeine in me just water or milk from cereal, I don't know if I can go having a headache every day because it will cause me not to want to exercise =(
  • neek247
    tea

I don't mind ice tea but obviously that probably has sugar, I'm not big on hot tea and if I drank it I would need cream and sugar...
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member

I went 1 day with about a massive migraine because i didnt have any caffeine in me just water or milk from cereal, I don't know if I can go having a headache every day because it will cause me not to want to exercise =(

take it from someone who cut all caffeine, except for chocolate here and there, from their intake...it will SUCK like crazy for about the first week or two and then after that its all smooth sailing. Granted I gave it up for reasons totally unrelated to weight loss/fitness.

like everybody else has said so far though, if you dont want to give up on the caffeine try tea or coffee without sugar if youre trying to limit your sugar intake.
  • ruth3698
    I think the best choice then would be tea or coffee.preferably without the sugar, it might take a while for your tastsbuds to adjust.I would just try to stay away from any artificial sweetners.
  • neek247

take it from someone who cut all caffeine, except for chocolate here and there, from their intake...it will SUCK like crazy for about the first week or two and then after that its all smooth sailing. Granted I gave it up for reasons totally unrelated to weight loss/fitness.

like everybody else has said so far though, if you dont want to give up on the caffeine try tea or coffee without sugar if youre trying to limit your sugar intake.

Yah Im going to limit it right now, until I can start to loose weight and hopefully with being in better shape going off it completely will not take a major effect on me as bad as it is now; Ive been drinking pop as long as I can remember and im 27 so yah its REALLY hard to cut out completely.
  • neek247
    I think the best choice then would be tea or coffee.preferably without the sugar, it might take a while for your tastsbuds to adjust.I would just try to stay away from any artificial sweetners.

I dont think I could do tea or coffee without any type of sugars, I tried black coffee before and i would rather drink nothing then that lol
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member

Yah Im going to limit it right now, until I can start to loose weight and hopefully with being in better shape going off it completely will not take a major effect on me as bad as it is now; Ive been drinking pop as long as I can remember and im 27 so yah its REALLY hard to cut out completely.

as a replacement for soda maybe try carbonated flavored water...that way you get the fizzy feeling, some kind of taste other than bland water, and lose some of the less desirable ingredients in soda....might at least help if you ever do cut it out completely :)
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    I have quit a lot of bad things but Diet Coke is not one of them I am addicted but I have cut down quite a bit in the last few months. I will eventually stop altogether.
  • ruth3698
    I was bad with soda.Before work, I would grab a 44 ounce from the gas station, at work I would have at least 3-4 20 ounces during my shift and after work another 44 ounce for home.I think thats where most of my calories went.I stopped cold turkey and yes it will ne hard and painful and people will hate you....but the great thing is, it only lasts for a couple of weeks at the most.Just by changing that one bad habit, you would be surprised at how much weight comes off.You just have to soldier through it and if you want it bad enough it will happen.
  • neek247
    I have quit a lot of bad things but Diet Coke is not one of them I am addicted but I have cut down quite a bit in the last few months. I will eventually stop altogether.

Yah my sister told me "she is doing this to and has lost alot of weight" she told me if i have to have pop is to drink diet so i get my caffeine kick
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I am told I should stay away from sugar, but what about these:

Sugar free energy drinks
    Coffee with sugar twin

I'm not coming from any sort of expert position here, but here's my experience. Pop...cut it out. I know how you feel about needing caffeine, and trust me I slip sometimes, but the less you drink it the less you want it. I used to drink 1-2 a day and just feel the NEED for it, but even though I've slipped on most of my weight loss things, I seriously don't need pop anymore. I enjoy a (diet) pop here and there, but for the most part, Ive cut it out. Here's my advice (for what it's worth), make a commitment to go 2-3 weeks without pop. Drink a LOT of water (bonus: it fills you up!!) Just don't do drink pop. For real, after that time period it will NOT taste the same. I pretty much don't even LIKE pop anymore (though just for a change, like I said I'll have it on occasion). As for sugar free energy drinks...I *try* to cut out artificial sweeteners, but I don't completely. Once in a while I'll have an energy drink, but I'm not big on that kind of thing, so can't tell you about that. As for coffee, Ive never been a coffee person either, but this one's a toss up. If you can drink your coffee black, that's fabulous...but the more cream/sugar you put in it, just be aware of the calories building up. I'm a big tea/iced tea fan, so I second all the Tea comments. Also if you're one of those 'i hate the taste of water' people, try infusing it with fruit ...lemons/limes, etc. I also like to add the crystal light pink lemonade packets to sparkling/lime flavored water....gives me the fizzy pop feeling without the blah popness lol Mmm! Good luck :)
  • neek247
    I am told I should stay away from sugar, but what about these:

Sugar free energy drinks
    Coffee with sugar twin

I'm not coming from any sort of expert position here, but here's my experience. Pop...cut it out. I know how you feel about needing caffeine, and trust me I slip sometimes, but the less you drink it the less you want it. I used to drink 1-2 a day and just feel the NEED for it, but even though I've slipped on most of my weight loss things, I seriously don't need pop anymore. I enjoy a (diet) pop here and there, but for the most part, Ive cut it out. Here's my advice (for what it's worth), make a commitment to go 2-3 weeks without pop. Drink a LOT of water (bonus: it fills you up!!) Just don't do drink pop. For real, after that time period it will NOT taste the same. I pretty much don't even LIKE pop anymore (though just for a change, like I said I'll have it on occasion). As for sugar free energy drinks...I *try* to cut out artificial sweeteners, but I don't completely. Once in a while I'll have an energy drink, but I'm not big on that kind of thing, so can't tell you about that. As for coffee, Ive never been a coffee person either, but this one's a toss up. If you can drink your coffee black, that's fabulous...but the more cream/sugar you put in it, just be aware of the calories building up. I'm a big tea/iced tea fan, so I second all the Tea comments. Also if you're one of those 'i hate the taste of water' people, try infusing it with fruit ...lemons/limes, etc. I also like to add the crystal light pink lemonade packets to sparkling/lime flavored water....gives me the fizzy pop feeling without the blah popness lol Mmm! Good luck :)

I actually went a month or so without pop because I had my wisdom teeth out and i didnt want to mess with the healing process and i wish i had stayed off it, and if i was to drink pop it would be once a day if that the fruit drinks you should give cucumber water a try; cut some cucumbers up and put water in a jar with the cucumbers and it taste great adding flavour =)
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    never drink your cals...unless its beer. i do try to live by this..water/diet mt. dew, and beer (when budgeted.) hate coffee...tastes like burnt water...and tea is absolutely terrible. i would get beat up drinking tea in the steel mill.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I have diet soda (not coke as I'm not that keen) and tea - mostly English but occasionally green tea - and keep a bottle of still water on the go.

Sweeteners are not dangerous unless you cannot digest them for biological reasons. Just like anything don't have them in excess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I only drink tea, and a bit of beer once in a while. I don't trust artificial sweeteners one bit.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    I love tea so limit myself to two cups a day, there are a lot of delicious herbal type teas you can drink xx