Am I aiming too low with my fat loss aim.

Options
Good morning.

I have been reading through a lot of posts on the forum and I am seeing a lot of posts about loosing weight at quite high rates. This seems to go against what I had believed what I have read to date about healthy weight loss.

I am aiming for 1lb a week 2lb at the absolute maximum any more and I'll eat more. Am I aiming too low? Is it safe/possible to loose more than 2lb a week of fat? From what I have read before joining here was anymore than 2lb and your into muscle.

Jon.

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    for those who have a very large amount of fat to lose, they will usually shed the fat a lot faster than most people, early on. it wouldnt be out of the ordnary to see those people lose 3 even 4 pounds per week for the first portion of their weight loss... but then it slows down. on average, 2 pounds a week is max.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    Ok, here's the thing... the rate of weight loss that would be considered healthy changes from person to person. If a person is 500lbs, chances are that making healthy changes to their diet and exercise is going to cause a DRASTIC change. They can lose more than 2lbs/week without it hurting them in most cases. If a person that is 140lbs were to lose weight that fast, it is probably not healthy. I would say that for MOST people, 1lb/week is a good goal, at least in a dietary sense. I'd recommend that if they really want to lose more than that, then they should try to achieve it through exercise rather than cutting more calories, because you always want to make sure you are getting proper nutrients. In general, don't go by what you see other people are doing or how fast they are losing weight. Figure out what works and what is healthy for you.
  • ronatobe
    ronatobe Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate the information. I will carry on as planned and see how it goes, hopefully I'm doing it right but I guess time will tell, I can always change things as I monitor my progress.

I am new to weight loss but if anyone has a moment and would care to share any views on my initial plan it would be appreciated.

I am 38, weigh 78.2 kg and am 5'8. Not a huge amount overweight but about a stone heavier than I'd like and it all appears to be in belly.

My aim is to eat 2000 calories over 5 meals, equally spaced with a little more in the early meals (something else I read helps). My TDEE if I have equated correctly is 2100 and I plan to exercise the rest off, 2 walks to work daily around 35 minutes a piece over 2 miles and throw in some weight training 3 times a week for 30-45 mins to bring my net intake to around 1700.

According to the MFP app this should net me 1lb a week for someone my age and stats.

How does this plan sound?
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ronatobe the plan sounds good.

It also sounds depressing.

Why?

Well because we have a similar height but you weigh less than my goal weight!

Ah well.
  • ronatobe
    ronatobe Posts: 6
    Options
    Sorry about starting your Monday morning off depressing you with my plan, unintended :)

Thanks for confirming my plan is on the right track reassuring to know.

Jon.
  • Beckaroo94
    Beckaroo94 Posts: 66
    Options
    I started slimming world a few years ago and lost 2 stone total. For the first month I was losing about 4 lb oer week, which droped to half a pound to 1 pound per week. It depends on how over weight you are. I have kept the weight off but am now aiming to lose more weight with mfp