Odd schedule... how to plan

Options
So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to handle my odd schedule. I help care for my gpa who has late stage dementia and lung cancer. I stay there overnight twice a week at least and during the day a couple other days on top of my regular schedule.. On the overnights I have to stay up best I can and if he doesn't sleep I don't sleep either. I've been doing this since January and the first several months I would stay as many as 6 nights a week, definitely a part of my weight gain. Its so hard to stretch the calories or ignore the hunger. Sometimes I'm there 24 hours at a time so upping activity to make up the difference isn't really an option on those days. Do I just do the best I can do or are there some tips that could help me manage my calories better? Thanks!

Replies

• dancerbyday
    Options
    If you find yourself getting hungry, there are a couple of things you can do: drinking tea, especially green tea, will make you feel fuller; also, fruit is pretty filling and is often very few calories. And if you aren't immediately needed, you could always jog in place for a while. Or you could do some kicks, alternating between knees up and kicking your butt. Tell me if the kicks don't make sense to you. I'm a dancer and this is one of our warm-ups, so I could just be assuming you know what I'm talking about!
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm switching on or off night shifts I'm awake 24-35hrs and I know when I get really tired I think I'm hungry when I'm just dehydrated from staying awake so long or too much coffee. Keep in mind if you are actually awake and moving for that long you are burning more calories then you would on a regular day when your only awake for 16hrs so you might have enough room to add a few healthy snacks in.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My days are all over the place too since i'm a shift worker. When i'm going to be up for 24+ hours I eat over my calories, then the following day i'm always under because i'm sleeping for more of the day. End of the week it balances out.
  • Mazel78
    Mazel78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks!