MFP and pregnancy??

Options
hiya,
im in mid flow with MFP at the moment and im really in the zone and loving it.. me and my partner are trying for baby number 2 and i wanted to no if / when i am pregnant what happens next.
i gained over 60 pounds with my first pregnancy and its took me 3 years to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. also it was not easy carrying so much weight so obviously second time around i dont wanna go mad if anythin i wanna keep loosing the excess none baby weight!!
xxx

Replies

• MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You only need to eat 300 more calories when your pregnant than not assuming your eating a healthy amount in the first place. My doctor says its about 1 apple with a side of peanut butter. So just dont eat like your eating for two. I gained A LOT of weight with my first pregnancy and now im on my sixth and still havent lost the first baby weight all. LOL. But pregnancy is not a time to worry about losing weight but try to maintain what you have and not gain more than 15-25 depending on your starting weight. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    *phew* for a minute, I thought this was going to say that MFP made you pregnant. I was so going to rage quit.

If you get pregnant, what happens next is this: You visit your doctor, you stop eating at a deficit, you can continue to track your food if you like (it's a great way to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you and the baby need)

Ask your doctor how much he wants to see you gain over the pregnancy. Adjust your calories based on that.

Just by being in the habit of making better food choices (which you're doing now), you are less likely to gain excessive weight during pregnancy.

Good luck to you!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying for my third soon and fully intend on using MFP and continuing with my exercise. My eldest turns 4 this month and my youngest turned 2 3 weeks ago. I'm now thinner than when I got pregnant with my first!

I put on a lot 2nd time as I didn't really exercise and wasn't so careful with what I ate. First time I put on weight at the end when I left work and stopped gymming!
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You only need to eat 300 more calories when your pregnant than not assuming your eating a healthy amount in the first place. My doctor says its about 1 apple with a side of peanut butter. So just dont eat like your eating for two. I gained A LOT of weight with my first pregnancy and now im on my sixth and still havent lost the first baby weight all. LOL. But pregnancy is not a time to worry about losing weight but try to maintain what you have and not gain more than 15-25 depending on your starting weight. :)
    In the uk this advice is only for the third trimester! But yes, set at maintenance, eat well and look after yourself :) that's my plan and I'm 25weeks on tues :)
  • kezzak2010
    kezzak2010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oh im excited now and im not even pregnant yet lol. i just dont want to go overboard and i like being obsessive so would love to continue tracking my cals.
    iv read the 300 extra comes in after first 12 weeks is up so id maybe stay same for first 3 months then up it.
    thanks guys :D
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, just see how you feel. I logged through the first bit of my pregnancy as I was really sick and wanted to ensure I was getting some calories in at least. Then the last few weeks I've finally stopped logging (after almost a year of logging everything!!).

It's hard because you want to find the balance between being miserable or not enjoying nice food, and going overboard! Good luck!
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In the uk this advice is only for the third trimester! But yes, set at maintenance, eat well and look after yourself :) that's my plan and I'm 25weeks on tues :)
    [/quote]

Agree! In the UK you are told to eat at maintenance untill the 3rd trimester then you add 300 cals extra a day. I put on 60lbs with my first pregnancy now trying for no2 too!

Best of luck
  • ttballard
    ttballard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I gained over 60 pounds with my first, also, and spent the next several pregnancies learning how to eat better :-)
    I used MFP during my last two pregnancies, helping me to gain an average of 25 pounds. I don't eat above maintenance until after the second trimester...at 20 weeks, I start trying for an average of 3/4 pound a week, gain. Gaining 25-35 pounds is actually outdated advice that the ACOG is considering revising. If you are of a healthy weight, a 20-25 pound weight gain is fine. My MW advised me to only gain 20 with my 5th child, even though I was of a healthy weight, because I tend to have large boys and we were wanting to avoid a repeat c section (I had a c section with my first, a boy...then 7 VBACs. #5 was only my second boy, and we didn't want an RCS). I gained 21 pounds, he was still 8.10...only 1 ounce less than the boy that I gained 60+ with. Guess we know were all of those pounds went...to ME!
    FWIW, I never gained again, like I did during my first pregnancy. My highest subsequent weight gain was 33 pounds...
    Good luck!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    oh im excited now and im not even pregnant yet lol. i just dont want to go overboard and i like being obsessive so would love to continue tracking my cals.
    iv read the 300 extra comes in after first 12 weeks is up so id maybe stay same for first 3 months then up it.
    thanks guys :D

When you get pregnant switch your calories to maintenance and up it after those 12 weeks. Always go by doctors advice. Don't remain at a deficit while pregnant. Don't forget to also eat back any exercise calories.

Make good food choices and don't fall into the mind frame of eating for two. You don't have to eat a ton but you do need a bit extra when pregnant. Focus on the good foods.

My husband and I are going to start trying in the next three months. My plan when I become pregnant is to keep up with my exercise if I can but switch my calories to maintain instead of lose and when needed I will add those extra calories.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gained alot of weight my last pregnancy too.. and even more after I gave birth, cuz I was a junk food fanatic. As long as you try and eat healthy most of the time and stay away from too much processed food you should be fine :) Good luck on conceiving how exciting!! :)
  • kezzak2010
    kezzak2010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice will be taking it all as an when needs as for now getting some off is the goal :D XXX
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1st trimester: maintenance calories
    2nd and 3rd trimester: maintenance plus 300