Runners- increase time or speed to improve?

Options
Hi,

I'm very slowly getting into running but can't train much on the roads as my right knee is incredibly weak and get's really painful during and after a road run. I've had physio and getting better slowly but I find I suffer less when running on the treadmill- less impact I guess.

My question is that while I'm trying to improve should I be increasing time (thus distance) or speed? So at the moment on the treadmill I run 15-20 minutes at 8.5kph should I try running the same amount of time at 9kph or aim for say 25 minutes at the original speed?

Would welcome all opinions, thanks :-)

Replies

• Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5K
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've got couch to 5k yes but not practical at the gym on a treadmill as by the time I've sped up for the first interval it's time to stop again. Have done it on the road a few times but not been able to keep it up to 3 times a week due to recovery for knee pain.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would focus on increasing time first. Maybe 1 day a week you could work on sprints to work those muscles that make you run faster but don't worry about time on those days.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty convinced right now that I need to worry about increasing my distance and not worrying about the speed or time that it takes me. I want to be able to actually run full distances w/o stopping and walking and the only way I'm realizing this is to not worry about how slow I'm going. I think I'd rather be able to run 10 miles @ an 11 min pace vs only being able to run 4 @ a 9 min pace. I just did a 10K on Saturday and I think I was so concerned at trying to keep up with the other runners around me that it ended up hurting me in the long run. I need to run my own race and not worry about anyone else. Just my personal opinion of course!
  • brandismama
    Options
    go for time right now. once you can "run" non stop for 30 min then maybe increase speed. thats that I do.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Both speed and distance are important to become a successful runner. As your distance improves you can always improve your speedwork to finish in faster times. Breaking records is always fun. BUT....

It sounds like you have some serious knee issues. More than focusing on distance or speed, maybe it's best to put the majority of your effort into strengthening the quads and hamstrings for better knee support. I would suggest some light resistance straining like leg curls and extensions in addition to your physio work.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'd say slow and steady, no point rushing into speed work. Build up your time which would increase the distance you're running and if your ankles are pretty good why not try a little off road running, much softer on knees and interesting. Makes you focus on where you're putting your feet instead of 'god I'm tired I need to stop etc etc'.
  • BethW01
    BethW01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to running as well. I try to focus on distance vs. time. But I am also trying to run a half marathon so distance is more important to me. It's all about pacing myself and making sure I am comfortable with it. Saturday's are my long runs and during the week are my shorter ones. Typically during the week I would run at my normal pace for about 2-3 mins then I would speed up a bit for about a min. This type of training is helpful in improving my pace. I think it's called fartliecking or something like that, not sure how to spell it. I have found that I get frustrated if my pace is off which is why I have shifted my focus to distance. It does take time and I am still in the starting stages but I am loving it.

Best of luck to you!! Keep running!!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would say go for increasing speed and running further in the same amount of time, rather than increasing distance and keeping your speed the same. Treadmill running is BORING so I wouldn't want to stay on it any longer than I need to! Hope your knee gets better so you can enjoy getting outside again!
    Also, have you looked into whether your running shoes might be giving you the knee problem? Or has it always been weak?
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Distance/Duration first, speed will follow. If you attempt to work on speed too early in a training program you're going to increase the odds of injury (due to mistakes in form, etc.)

Also if you've only just started running, I would encourage you to work up to running 30 minutes (at least) without stopping. Then go from there for longer distances.

Good luck!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    increase distance as increasing speed can mess up your knee as its more pressure running faster
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm also chiming in for duration not speed right now.
  • Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to change it up, I run 4 days a week. Sun: a long slow run (very slow) Tues: med run, Thurs: speed work and Fri: a short recovery run. As my distance increased so did my speed.
    Just be aware of your body, you want to push but not so hard that you get hurt, especially if your having knee issues.
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Both speed and distance are important to become a successful runner. As your distance improves you can always improve your speedwork to finish in faster times. Breaking records is always fun. BUT....

It sounds like you have some serious knee issues. More than focusing on distance or speed, maybe it's best to put the majority of your effort into strengthening the quads and hamstrings for better knee support. I would suggest some light resistance straining like leg curls and extensions in addition to your physio work.

Thanks for that, I have a couple of different routines set from my physiotherapist for quad work- I do leg raises, leg press, hip adduction and abduction and a bunch of target stretches plus a ton of squat kicks a couple of times a week. I'm starting to see some results there so I'm hoping if I keep these up they will get stronger and the knee pain will lessen.

Starting to think my biggest issue is patience :-/
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    I would say go for increasing speed and running further in the same amount of time, rather than increasing distance and keeping your speed the same. Treadmill running is BORING so I wouldn't want to stay on it any longer than I need to! Hope your knee gets better so you can enjoy getting outside again!
    Also, have you looked into whether your running shoes might be giving you the knee problem? Or has it always been weak?

Yeah it is boring, there's not much of a view! I have really good running shoes, the issue is in my knee I've had a lot of medical advice and therapy etc for it.
  • pinktoesjb
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm going to up my treadmill sessions and reasses when I'm hitting a half hour session without any issues.