New gym girl...help!!!

Options
I will hopefully start gym sessions on Wednesday...need to start doing some strength training. My problem is eating before 10am...now that will be a struggle. I can stomach loads of lemon water though. I hope to start with fruits till I get the hang of it. Can't wait!!! ;). I'm looking to tone up and loose a few inches.
CW...63kg
GW...not sure since im gonna gain muscle
Current stats...bust-39in
Waist...27
hip...39
Wanna lose 2inches everywhere.
So fellas help me out...what do I do as a beginner???

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this eating before 10am thing. Are you forcing yourself to eat earlier than you'd like or are you holding off eating?

As far as lifting, look up starting strength. Add pull ups to workout A and dips to workout B to prevent T Rex mode.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Fruit for breakfast is great, do you need more than that?
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I workout fasted all the time. I take 10-12g of BCAA's 15m prior to working out, 10-12g immediately after and then 10-12g 2 hours after that. Lots of water and that gets me to lunch.

I do CrossFit and if I ate before a WOD I'd puke for sure. But if you are going to eat, eat very light.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this eating before 10am thing. Are you forcing yourself to eat earlier than you'd like or are you holding off eating?

As far as lifting, look up starting strength. Add pull ups to workout A and dips to workout B to prevent T Rex mode.

I'm not holding off eating...I grew up taking my breakfast to school and having it during 1st break(around 10 to 10:30am). And now as an adult, I run mostly night shifts...I don't close till after 9am and get home 10-ish to have breakfast. I think it would be a good idea to have fruits (apples preferably) in my bag to have for breakfast.

ETA: please what is workout A and workout B?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

So fellas help me out...what do I do as a beginner???

I would ask some of the ladies. They know just as much (if not more) as us guys.

You're not going to be gaining a substantial amount of muscle if your goal is to lose '2 inches everywhere' You'll see improvemenet in body composition and some 'newbie' gains but your weight will decrease if you're eating at a deficit.

I would recommend getting a program before you set foot in the door.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I would ask some of the ladies. They know just as much (if not more) as us guys.

You're not going to be gaining a substantial amount of muscle if your goal is to lose '2 inches everywhere' You'll see improvemenet in body composition and some 'newbie' gains but your weight will decrease if you're eating at a deficit.

I would recommend getting a program before you set foot in the door.

What they said!
  • emablu
    emablu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein. You won't add much muscle if your protein intake is inadequate. Best advice I can give-hire a certified personal trainer if you can. Made a huge difference for me to have someone who knew proper form as I was learning a good workout plan and held me accountable for diet & training.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

I'm not holding off eating...I grew up taking my breakfast to school and having it during 1st break(around 10 to 10:30am). And now as an adult, I run mostly night shifts...I don't close till after 9am and get home 10-ish to have breakfast. I think it would be a good idea to have fruits (apples preferably) in my bag to have for breakfast.

When are you planning on working out? Fruit isn't ideal before a workout. It lowers exercise performance. It's better right after a workout since fructose can only be stored as liver glycogen. You can definitely workout fasted, I workout 19-20 hours fasted every day and I love it.

Do starting strength. It's broken up into workout A and workout B. Those were the changes I was suggesting.
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

When are you planning on working out? Fruit isn't ideal before a workout. It lowers exercise performance. It's better right after a workout since fructose can only be stored as liver glycogen. You can definitely workout fasted, I workout 19-20 hours fasted every day and I love it.

Do starting strength. It's broken up into workout A and workout B. Those were the changes I was suggesting.

Thanks...i will read up on it and possibly seek more help from the gym instructor. ;)