Losing the last ten pounds...tips anyone?

Options
Hey weight watchers! I have been on a weight losing crusade since Jan this year. Watching my diet diligently and working out six days a week (well most weeks barring a few in which i was travelling). Anyhow, I have primarily been doing a mix of cardio and resistance over the months and managed to lose 10 kgs in all. I am a slightly largely built woman, with a bigger frame for a person of a meager altitude of 5 ft 2". Am thinking 55 kgs would be the ideal weight for me. Right now I am 60 kgs. I tried my hand at Insanity, (tho I couldn't get to the Max month as I sustained a ridiculous ankle injury due to a Burpee done incorrectly), 30 day shred, Butt Bible, some toning routines by Tracy Anderson and Tiffany Rothe. I can not run, as that aggravates ligaments in knees and ankles. I have plateaued for a while now, and the scale just isn't budging. Absolute measurements are also just sliding ever so slightly. I do feel an over all tightening etc. Do I need to do something different? Clock in a few extra hours of work out every week? Do a bit more cardio than strength? Or just be patient and it will come down eventually?

Replies

• Beckaroo94
    Beckaroo94 Posts: 66
    Options
    sometimes weight can stay the same for a while. Then you just end up losing a pound per week. I've heard your body can go into starvation mode if you under eat in calories, are you maybe doing this? Just keep at what you're doing for now I suppose. Good luck :)
  • Sarahrahi
    Sarahrahi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) will keep in mind...tho i have maybe exceeding calorie intake for some weeks...as had mum visiting...still i will just keep doing what i am doing and wait for the pounds to scale off :)
  • Celtic8Laoch
    Celtic8Laoch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It would take a seriously low deficit for your body to go into starvation mode. The last few lbs are always the hardest to knock off and weight loss slows down when you reach that.

How many calories a day are you eating at the moment and how much exercise are you doing?
  • Sarahrahi
    Options
    I am taking about 1200 calories a day...and I work out about an hour each day. Some time more. Depending on how exerted I feel. Like these days I am winding up the Butt Bible so that's about 40 minutes. And I start with a brisk walk on treadmill to just kind of warm up for 15-20 minutes. And usually end with muscle toning for about 10 - 15 minutes. Lesser intensive but repetitive stuff. Like for abs and arms.
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    I am taking about 1200 calories a day...and I work out about an hour each day. Some time more. Depending on how exerted I feel. Like these days I am winding up the Butt Bible so that's about 40 minutes. And I start with a brisk walk on treadmill to just kind of warm up for 15-20 minutes. And usually end with muscle toning for about 10 - 15 minutes. Lesser intensive but repetitive stuff. Like for abs and arms.

I am by no means an expert but only 1200 calories a day and an hours workout? I don't think you are getting enough calories to be honest. Try upping your calorie intake at least to 1400 if not to 1600-1700 a day...healthy calories though, not all junk food. Maybe more proteins etc...and a mix of other calories, hey its ok to have an ice cream occasionally. I think your body may need more calories to convert to muscle and shed those last pounds. Also you will lose them a lot slower because hey its the last 10.

I for example do about a 200 calorie burn workout every day (25 minutes circuit training), am lightly active and have a drop goal of 1/2 lb a week to lose my 10 pounds (although I care less about pounds at this point and more about building muscle, toning, and losing inches) And my calorie intake daily if I'm eating those exercise calories, which I am, is 1800.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I am by no means an expert but only 1200 calories a day and an hours workout? I don't think you are getting enough calories to be honest. Try upping your calorie intake at least to 1400 if not to 1600-1700 a day...healthy calories though, not all junk food. Maybe more proteins etc...and a mix of other calories, hey its ok to have an ice cream occasionally. I think your body may need more calories to convert to muscle and shed those last pounds. Also you will lose them a lot slower because hey its the last 10.

I for example do about a 200 calorie burn workout every day (25 minutes circuit training), am lightly active and have a drop goal of 1/2 lb a week to lose my 10 pounds (although I care less about pounds at this point and more about building muscle, toning, and losing inches) And my calorie intake daily if I'm eating those exercise calories, which I am, is 1800.

^^This^^

Really, 1200 cals is tooooo few, with that much of exercising. You need to up your calorie, what MeClaire2000 says, between 1400-1700 a day. And you need to eat your exercise cals.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    up your cals + 16/8 IF.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It would take a seriously low deficit for your body to go into starvation mode. The last few lbs are always the hardest to knock off and weight loss slows down when you reach that.

How many calories a day are you eating at the moment and how much exercise are you doing?

Seriously?

EDIT: OMG I read that wrong haha. Soweeee.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I've heard your body can go into starvation mode if you under eat in calories, are you maybe doing this?

the only "starvation mode" is when your body has already consumed all the fat and starts breaking down the muscle and organs in order to fuel itself, which will kill you.

this whole starvation mode causes plateaus because your body goes "wait, wait... naaah, no you don't I'm soo not burning fat now because your calories are too low" - thats bro science.

go to your room.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    change workout! do swimming if you are not doing it.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Recalculate TDEE for your current stats, take two weeks of NO training and eat AT or slightly above TDEE. After the break reduce to about TDEE-20% and resume training, and I think you'll find you get results again.
  • Celtic8Laoch
    Options

Yeah your calories are most likely too low but a weight height/activity level would give us a better idead of where you need to be.

If you are in fact too low the best thing you could do, IF your not losing anything right now would be to increase your calories back up to maintenance, I would recommend doing this by adding 100kcal a day not shooting back up 600-700kcal straight away, by increasing 100kcal a day you will have very minimal fat gain if any.

once you find your maintenance stay there a month or so, start doing more resistance training and make sure you have the right macros and try get your lbm up, that will aid in fat loss, cut the cardio back to a max of 35 mins at a time. Your aim is to get your metabolism fired up again, again this is if your defecit is too low atm and your doing hour long cardio dropping no weight.

When you have that done, return to your cut and cut out as few calories as possible at a time to induce weight loss.
  • Celtic8Laoch
    Options

Seriously?

EDIT: OMG I read that wrong haha. Soweeee.

Im totally cereally!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I got scared by the huge calories of TDEE -20% so I reset to 1400 + exercise calories. Nothing moved for the first few weeks but the last three I've lost 2lb a week. That was unexpected!

I'm now unsire wheter I should up my calories a litle (only 7lb to go :drinker: ) to slow to 1lb a week, or keep at the same level and maybe reach my target early (allowing me a few weeks before my holiday to adjust my maintenance calories).
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • fatburnd2012
    Options
    I am just about at my goal weight now and everyone is telling me I don't need to lose more weight. But I am more concerned with toning. By the sounds of things, you have been doing enough strength training etc that you must be lean and toned. I can only advise you to be less strict with the calories and be really concerned with macros- perhaps try to keep protein high and carbs and fat medium to get the last few pounds off. All of the research I have done online about getting lean seems to show that higher protein and less carbs and saturated fat is what gets the job done. But I would never suggest atkins diet to people because it just does not work for me- if I completely cut out bread, pasta etc I binge later. And I have read that all the weight comes back on when someone goes back to eating carbs.

Have you read Jillian Michaels book "Making the Cut"? It sets out a plan to lose the last few pounds. I haven't followed it but I bought the book and have been taking tips from it. I can't follow the diet properly as I'm in Ireland and half of the foods are American and I can't get them. The only thing is she suggests that you eat at your Basal Metabolic Rate while on it and if I am working out a lot I have to up cals or I just get too skinny-plus I'm starving. Maybe have a look at it.

Best of luck. x:smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With MFP method I would suggest a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5lbs/week, if TDEE for the last 10-15 you should be at TDEE -10-15%, 20% is probably too large of a deficit with so little to lose. When you don't have a lot to lose a larger deficit will lead to a large % of the loss coming from lean muscle instead of fat.

In order to ensure most of the loss is fat loss, take part in a relatively heavy strength training routine (3-12 rep ranges/set); get adequate protein intake (1 gram/ lb of lean body mass is a good amount, if you don't know your LBM aim for a min of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight); and give it time.
  • smh363
    smh363 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You should be eating AT LEAST 1400 calories a day if you are working out 40-60 minutes every day. You're most likely slowing your metabolism down because you aren't eating enough. I say this only because my nutritionist told me so.
  • Sarahrahi
    Options
    Thanks you guys :) All the input has been really helpful...so the verdict is that the last few pounds are the toughest to lose and maybe a little upping in caloric intake is due. Definitely going for more strength and resistance now, as I have shrunk two sizes but tend to jiggle still. So muscles need toning.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips...this community really rocks :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the jiggling ever really stops......:sad: Or maybe I'm just impatient