Over age 50 and starting over! Yuk!!

Options
Hello,
My name is Lynda, I'm 54 years old and starting over. It sucks to be alone and feeling like you are worthless! So, I'm starting to diet and exercise and hopefully there's someone out there who will not be abusive and hateful in this life! I'm not a lot over weight but I do need to lose about 20 pounds and tone up this belly! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynda

Replies

• KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda!
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me....I am over that 50 mark and started my loss (30lb goal) the beginning of this year. The support you get here is great. I am well on my way and the journey has not been as bad as I thought.
  • ELENA01
    ELENA01 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. We want to lose weight, tone up and feel better about yourselves. You have come to the right place, just keep on track.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are having a rough time, but you've come to the right place if you are looking for encouragement to be the best you that you can be. Just ask away and we will all be glad to help. :smile: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Edited To Add: By the way, I'm 65. It is never too late to seek a better you. Blessings!
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and looking to lose about 30 as well, but more importantly to exercise and tone. I know if I eat healthy and exercise that the weight will follow. Please feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • hussfire12
    Options
    I am 59 and having a hard time also..the weight just does not come off as easily as it used to! Would love some advice and support from anyone...
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    Welcome Lynda, Today is my 6th day in MFP. I will get weighed in 3 wks at my Endo appt. so do not know if I have even lost one lb yet. If you want to add me, please do so. Perhaps we can motivate one another in some little way.. I hope so. Good luck in your journey.

If anyone else wants to add me as your buddie, I would love to hear from you. I am over 50 (way over) and am a diabetic, 2 time cancer survivor, have Vasculitis, among other things and am pretty much immobile. I am a Christian and am trying to get my Diabetes under control and lose abt 48 lbs. I do check in each and every day and would love to have any new buddies that are serious about losing weight and getting healthier.
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a wonderful site...I know you will succeed :smile:
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Gosh Lynda, I wish I only had 20 to lose! I think I still need to drop about 40 after losing a total of 60. But I know that 20 can feel just as daunting as 100. Stay here, check in with us, read, read, read...find the thing that resonates with you and go for it. There are many philosophies on weight loss here. I think it's finding the one you can make a daily part of your life, the one that satisifies your body and mind and doesn't leave you hungry or craving things. I've found my way (at 50) by just keeping on keeping on.

I do recommend finding great, positive podcasts and going for a walk while listening. It's s free way to feed your mind while doing the world's cheapest and in my opinion, the perfect exercise.

Welcome! Look around, log your food each day, stay awake and aware....20 lbs will go and you'll gain knowledge and friends that support you here.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 44 and also had a 20lb goal - which I'm slowly achieving! I feel like MFP has been the key! Add my if you want!
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda & a Warm Welcome

Reading between the lines it seems you have had a rough ride recently :( I hope you are no longer getting abuse in your life ... you are worth much more than that!

I can understand that wanting a 20 lbs loss seems such a mountain to climb, especially if your esteem and confidence are a bit battered. Well you have already taken positive steps and seem motivated to make changes. Take baby steps and I'm sure the rest will follow.

These forums are a great place to get support and guidance :)

Feel free to add me Linda ... anyone else also welcome.

Take Care

jj x
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    welcome! After 50 it isint easy, but doable! I workout 6 days a week, golf every day, love to drink wine. I use to do all these low carb diets and yes they work but you put on double. Feeling great now very fit but scale doesn't budge. Hope you have success
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Kenorus --- I could have written these words! It is much harder after 50 but at 52 I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lynda - feel free to add me.
  • Wjmu7
    Wjmu7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Linda, and everyone else, I am new to this group, too. I am turned 50 in a week or so, and I have been on MFP for about 3 years. During this time, I was a loner, and I was going to do it by myself. I have lost 23 pounds in that time, and 30 pounds from the heaviest I have ever been. When I started, I was 90 pounds above my high school weight and I was full figured then, but not fat. I figure that this site has been the best help to me out of everything I've tried. I just won't give up. If I fall off the wagon and start over, that's better than falling off the wagon and continuing to fail. I think it is about time to stop being the Lone Ranger and start asking for friends help and encouragement. I've been reading ya'lls posts and I replied to one the other day. Maybe if I accept friendly words, I'll do better. I have set a new goal of 30 to go. I want to do it in six months because when I lose it fast, I pack it back on. I need to stop yo-yo ing and change my eating habits for life. Help, I need friends. Linda, let's do this!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is also Linda, and I'm 54 too. After letting my body get soft, and a lot of emotional eating and a diagnosis of osteoporosis, I realized I had to get serious again. Food is a drug for many people, including myself, and I had to treat it as such. If you can eliminate the white carbs from your diet, you will go a long way toward your goal. You also have to want it. Start slowly with a realistic exercise program that you like. That's your own personal self-healing session. I'm doing Hip Hop Abs, which for me is a good transition program from where I was to the more intense programs I will move to. There are many styles and levels of exercise out there.

Find an exercise group if you are social, or use DVDs if you like to exercise alone. Join a gym to keep you on track it there is one near enough to be realistically used. Move several times a day to keep your metabolism up. Get a full medical checkup, as middle age is higher risk for diabetes and thyroid disease.

Fitness is self-love. As you make this journey, you become your own best friend, and feel better about yourself.
  • Wjmu7
    Wjmu7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. It will get better! :^)